!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lowbeck Hall East  (Read 17971 times)

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
Lowbeck Hall East
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
Photography is not my forte I have to admit, but I have now uploaded some photos of LHE to an album entitled Lowbeck Hall East at
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=254
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:29:06 PM by Sprintex, Reason: Link changed »

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Lowbeck Hall East
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
Nice bit of modeling, although weasels are not my thing it's looking really good, well done  :claphappy:

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
That's a great looking layout.  Nicely weathered in and the vegtation is superb.  Love all the BR blue too! :thumbsup:

And the photos really are very nice too.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline MJdJ

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Great pictures, absolutely nothing wrong with that! Good atmosphere.
Kind regards,
Mark-Jan

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
One of my favorite layouts at TINGS, excellent work :-)

Skyline2uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Good stuff. Well done.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
"One of my favorite layouts at TINGS"

me too. i really like your layout it is excellent!

tim

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »
As said in the other thread, this layout stood out at TINGS and is probably the first depot/shunting layout that has caught my interest enough to stand and watch for some time. Well done on a cracking little layout :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:52 AM »
Thanks to all for taking time to comment on Lowbeck Hall East. As this layout was intended as something of a test-bed for products, techniques and my own ability and patience, I've made a few notes on what I learnt along the way and which you may (I hope) find interesting and useful:

I didn’t think through too well the issue of what minimum radius curves to use and as a result my Class 40s and 45/46s cannot be used on the layout. Class 20s, 24s and 25s navigate the tight curve to the fiddle yard with aplomb, but I hate to think what stresses and strains the innards of my Class 31s, 37s and 47s are going through as they grind into and out of the depot. In the future, I will be using Peco Setrack N°3 Radius as a minimum.

DCC is great for shunting and other slow speed movements and for me there is no going back to DC. I’ve tried three different types of decoders and found CT Elektronik to be streets ahead for slow speed control. Also, the Trix Mobile Station has proven to be an excellent entry level control system.

Peco Code 55 track with live frogs and Tortoise stall-type point motors have been fitted which incorporate electrical switching for the points. After having tried Peco solenoid point motors in the past, I can say without hesitation that I will never go back to them. In preparation of my next project, I’ll be testing Cobalt point motors which are a more compact rival to the Tortoise.

Rolling stock has been converted to Peco Elsie couplings with metal bars attached for electromagnetic uncoupling. This has worked pretty reliably (about 75% of the time at a guess), though I should have probably used Seep instead of Peco electromagnets for uncoupling. The latter are pretty weak and require precision placing of wagons and well tweaked couplings to work effectively. I was all set to keep with this system but install Seep uncouplers on my next project when the Dapol magnetic knuckle coupling system caught my eye…

On the scenic side, one of my aims was to get the track as realistic as possible. Consequently, tiebar ‘pips’ on points have been cut off, track sides painted brown (not rust – which is too red) and the ground level between tracks built up more or less to sleeper level using thin strips of balsa. Ballasting has not been done with the so-called N gauge ballast available on the market, but with very fine sand. Both track and ballast have been sprayed with track dirt paint (Pheonix Precision Paints incorporating the 'guaranteed to block after one use nozzle') and then further dirtied in places with oil spills, etc. This is one of the aspects of the layout I’m most pleased with, even if it took far too long to do.

All structures are scratch built with Plasticard (with the exception of the fuel storage tanks from Farish Scenecraft). They are either spray (red brick) or hand painted (the rest) and finished off with weathering powders and the like (e.g. Tamiya Weathering Master). I find Plasticard a great material for working with, but I’m wondering about whether covering structures with brick and stone paper would provide a more realistic finish.

The baseboard is basically two plywood boxes bolted together. I realised too late in the project the importance of a ‘belt and braces’ approach to ensuring baseboard fitting and track alignment. The whole thing works pretty well, but whenever I put the layout together it takes some time and quite a bit of trial and error until everything is well aligned. So, patternmakers dowels are a must for my new project and I will spend as long as it takes to ensure easy and reliable baseboard/track alignment.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:34:33 PM by willike1958, Reason: text corrections »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Some very interesting aspects you've covered there, even for an old DC fart like me :thumbsup:
I am quite surprised your 8 axle diesels don't like the 1st radius curves as, until I had an oval set up on my 'proper' layout I had an oval of track on the dining table with 9" 180 degree curves at each end and my Whistlers and Peaks went round OK ???
I am interested too in your comments about ballasting with sand. How did you seal it to prevent loose particles getting everywhere please.

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
I found that the 40s and 45/46s  really struggled to get around the curve in question with the 'hand of god' being called upon far too regularly to help out. Furthermore, the curve crosses a baseboard joint at an angle which upped the number of derailments as it provided a small gap where 4 axle bogies could 'escape'. As my aim is to have as near as possible perfect running, route restrictions are now rigourously applied. I also started to get the feeling that the electrical pickups on the locos were suffering from forcing the bogies through the curves.

With respect to the ballasting, the sand is glued down using the usual diluted PVC with washing up liquid in an eyedropper approach. Once dry and the excess ballast removed, I made a second pass to consolidate it. Consequently, I've had no problems with grains of sand wandering off. Extreme care is, however, required to avoid sand (and glue) getting into the point mechanisms. I tend to work around the tiebar area and then come back later to build up the ballast almost grain by grain.

Offline GerryB

• N Gauge Society Number: 23312
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »
An impressive layout - I especially like the way you have done the ballasting, so thanks for the explanation as to how you accomplished it.  :thumbsup:

Gerry

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
I've tried to in the past to draw track diagrams with Powerpoint, but always given up frustrated. However, having invested in a new computer and an up-to-date version of the programme I tried again and I think ended up with a reasonably good representation of Lowbeck Hall East that I've added now added to my gallery:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=254

This will give you an idea of the actual size of the layout and illustrate what can be squeezed into a rather modest space. I'll try to find time to do the same with my new project and post it on the forum in the new year.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:31:04 PM by Sprintex, Reason: Link changed »

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Just a very short post to let you know that a spruced up Lowbeck Hall East will be having its second outing at the excellent Farnham and District MRC annual show on October 12 and 13 (see http://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=806 ). Three other N gauge layouts and a 2mm finescale layout are also announced. Don't hesitate to say hello if you are there.
Kevin

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
Using the excuse of some recent motive power acquisitions, here are some new Lowbeck Hall East MPD photos.

This first one shows the road learning car  stabled in front of the main shed.

The next photo sees a green 08 standing on the fuel road.

This third shot is a close up of the entrance to the maintenance shed. The class 20 that just sneaks into the picture is one of a pair that are awaiting the replacement of marker lights with head codes since the layout depicts the 1970-75 period.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything