!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D Printing  (Read 10818 times)

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
Re: 3D Printing
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »
3D modelling is all about compromise. Each material has it's own minimum requirements.

However, there are practicle requirements as well. I bought a model bus designed by a European modeller and he had designed it to minimum tollerences, but the walls could not support themselves sufficiently and bowed inwards.

My early career was allied to engineering and a lot of that has stayed with me when I design. That early career may also be one of my stumbling block as I was trained in draughtsmanship (2D), good old fashioned pens and tracing paper.....................

Offline moogle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
Welcome to the site Atso.
Theres some nice 3D work people are doing on here.
Well, I have been dipping my toes into the realm of 3D modelling myself.  :o

The picture above is of my 1st attempt and may well need reworking.
Below is my second attempt.

Being a little financially challenged (Skint!) I'm learning on Google Sketchup as its FREE!  :thumbsup:
I know some seasoned 3D modellers will think 'yuck' at that but I'm pleased with what I've drawn up.
If you've never tried 3D modelling Sketchup is a very cheap way of trying it out!  :smiley-laughing:

My 3rd attempt above was a lot more adventurous.  ;D
Now I'm just waiting to see if these are printable and if so wait for my test prints to arrive in the post!
Exciting times ahead...  :)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome moogle! I think Sketchup is a wonderful tool to start 3D modelling in and I've seen some nice prints done with it. The only reason I moved away from it so quickly was because I wanted to model a Gresley domed coach roof which Sketchup didn't like too much.

NTrain, I like your bendy bus! Great model, shame its right out of my period of modelling otherwise I might have been tempted to ask for one!!!  ;D

Your right about ensuring that a 3D model can be printed into a practical physical model, I experimented with some really thin wall sections mhen I first started with this. I've managed to print small items with an overall wall thickness of 0.75mm which are ok but don't apply too much pressure when handling them! I think thinner walls are possible but would need some kind of bracing designed in.

I don't know how much you read on the Shapeways forum but there was a great tip on there about soaking White Strong and Flexible in superglue and the sanding down to get a smooth finish. I've tried in on one of my older models and it really made a difference. Now that Shapeways has just launched a polished version of this material it will remain to be seen if this would still be required.

Southernboy, love those old buses, much more my era of modelling! Have a go but I think you'll find the cab roof a challenge at first - you'll get the hand of it though! as NTrain said there will be compromises to make but I think that's true of all modelling. When presented with a detail that'll be difficult to reproduce I normally ask myself if it'll look worse modelled badly or worse if it is missing. I might be opening a can of worms with this statement but I think that with N Gauge if you can make it believable then its ok if its not quite to scale (within reason of course!). 

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
The tip about using superglue seems to work fairly well, until you have inset positions on the model, that also want to be smoothed.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
The tip about using superglue seems to work fairly well, until you have inset positions on the model, that also want to be smoothed.

I've used a small amount of touch up primer (the pen/brush kind from Halfords) and some carefull work with a glass fibre pen in recessed areas with some success.

I got my first shipment of bits from Shapeways yesterday. Unfortunately it was only the Gresley bogies which I'd ordered in a different material be mistake. There are not bad but suffer from the usual white strong and flexible material issues. On the plus side the take Farish wheelsets and roll very freely with little cleaning up. I might sand them smooth or wait for my replacements in the new material instead.

Incidently I've just see some pictures of an N gauge multiple unit(?) on the shapeways forum. I've no idea what the prototype is (it isn't British) but it does look very very good!  :thumbsup: Link: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=5210&start=0&

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
If my samples match up to expectation, then I will be ordering some of my EMU masters in the new material.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Fingers crossed for you then  8)

I think I can forsee some Grelsey suburan stock in the pipeline and mayby a quad set and/or triplet dinning car...  ;D

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Just heard that my sample bits have been despatched. (Frosted Ultra Detail)

One strange message, one item them printed previously in White Strong Flexible is not printable in the new material. But they printed it anyway....................

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
Atso , I for one would'nt be worrying too much about the tender dimensions , can't see me getting one in my life time ( mid 60s ) . Reading this topic is way above my head , that said it's interesting stuff . chers John .

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »
NTrain when did you order them? Just interested to see how long it has taken, I ordered some last week. They quoted 10 days for mine how long did they quote for yours. :Class37: :NGFWagonTour: :NGFWagonTour: :NGFWagonTour:
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
Ordered 21/4 with 10 day lead time quoted. It was the same day they announced it.

They became inundated with orders and announced delays while they arranged more capacity.

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
Oh no I hope they have caught up a bit as I need mine in a fortnight. Perhaps I'll need to email them for a update. My 10 days runs out next week.
 :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
My 10 order period finished today. I've received my Gresley bogies in white strong and flexible but my frosted ultra detail order is still outstanding. I'll be contacting Shapeways today but as NTrain said they've been inundated so I'm not too fussed if it takes a little longer...

NTrain & Ntastic please post some pictures once you've got your orders!!!  :thumbsup:

Hi Painbrook, I would guess bits in this topic are a little like reading another language. Most certainly its been a steep learning curve for me over the last few years. I've just taken delivery of Brian Haresnape's book on Fowler locomotives to learn a bit more about what came out of Derby...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:52:40 PM by Atso »

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
Here is a picture of my test components.

A little disapointed that two of the models have 'bowed' slightly.

The BVA wagon body and the DMU bogie sides.

Will play around with these before I pass final judgement. However, the quality of the printing seems the best I have had so far.

I can show pictures of each individual part if anyone is interested.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
That is looking really good, Bob. Like the DMU bogies and 104 end. Can see some potential usefulness there!  :)
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP