New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout  (Read 26310 times)

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
Re: Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Just catching up on the forum and noticed this layout. Great work on the wiring by your friend - he's done a great job! Nice to see another of your layouts progressing well, and good to see that the Japanese recognise a good loco for the engineers workings!

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments...although now we are firmly in Japan we'll be having no more of these class 60s and the like visiting - unless JRF fancy funding a quick regauge for a couple!

The wiring is of a really high standard; far better than anything I could achieve. By virtue of someone else carrying out the wiring, I can say without any hint of bragging that it is also one of the most reliable layouts I have operated.

Back to my area...progress has been really good this weekend owing to the Easter break and my usual reluctance to go away over this period; really busy roads, still unpredictable weather etc. The scenic structure is more of less complete now, just some finer details to complete before starting on the colour. This is the state of play yesterday...

The hill has been completed on the left, whilst the road now heads into the background. Its sudden stop will be where the backscene cuts across from the back of the layout to run behind the half-hill hiding the fiddle yard.

Today was about completing (more or less) the hillside and start adding the plaster and mod-roc.

There are still a few gaps around the tunnel mouths. This will be concrete retaining walls, which may be added tomorrow depending on the weather. The new road section can be seen on the right with the blue car marking its course. There needs to be another layer of plaster over the hillside to hide the bandages of the mod-roc.

Now that the hill is in place, access will be a little restrictive to the track accessing the yard. When complete most of this area will be covered with trees.

Talking of which...

I have a number of trees for Kanjiyama. First up is a box of cheepo Chinese trees, which will form the background of the woodland. Mixed in with these will be some of the Woodland Scenics 00 branches from their tree kits. Ideal for smaller N gauge trees. Finally are the trees in this picture.

They are produced by a company called 4D. Their shop is in London, more or less outside of Fenchurch Street station, and about 15 minutes walk from my work. They are mainly aimed at architectural modelling, and do a wide range of scales. These just happen to be 1/150!

Amongst this lot are beech trees, silver birch, pine and a more general deciduous...one of which is bare. There is also a tree in blossom, which will take over form the Tomytec blossom trees for the orchard at the front of the layout.

The next picture was taken this afternoon, now having had the first of the plaster surface added.

The white strips are intended for tow purposes. First to mark around the buildings, adding a little extra road height and therefore disguising the bases. Secondly was to mark out distinctive areas. The area around the station will have a very different road surface.

The roadway continues through the village...

I need to get that retaining wall behind the tracks completed as a next task, before getting the sand paper out to smooth those road surfaces...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:49:09 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline tim-pelican

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22330
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
They are produced by a company called 4D. Their shop is in London, more or less outside of Fenchurch Street station, and about 15 minutes walk from my work. They are mainly aimed at architectural modelling, and do a wide range of scales. These just happen to be 1/150!

I do like 4D - great for popping in for bits and pieces at lunchtime, as they're very close to work for me too.

Layout looks to be coming along nicely!

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »

I do like 4D - great for popping in for bits and pieces at lunchtime, as they're very close to work for me too.

Layout looks to be coming along nicely!

Looks like I may pay another visit over the next week or so...more trees will be needed!

I have had a weekend off from the layout, but aim to add the sculpamould some time during the week. Still some sanding required for the roads, as well as the obligatory hole filling.

Need to get the 'wet stuff' finished before I finish off the retaining walls...which will involve a lot of mountboard. Also going to start the painting soon...which will make an enormous difference to the layout's appearence  :D

In the meantime, I am playing around with Photoshop to try to sort out a backscene. I don't find it too user-friendly, but I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to things like this. Failing that, I'll have to go back to the old-fashioned route of painting the scene in...

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »
Today I was able to take a couple of hours adding the first layers of colour to the layout. The base colour is a mixture of brown and green poster and powder paints, which dry quickly, and will be absorbed by the scuptamould, hopefully disguising any of the inevitable chips and knocks that are bound to take place.

The tunnels are starting to look more in place now, although there is still some work to do inside to hide the white foamboard used for the superstructure. Some additional scattering has been added to the trackbed since this picture was taken...

That picture, and the next, show the first of the buildings to be fitted in place. This is a small farm building beside the orchard, which I have needed to build into the landscape as it has quite a prominent base. The white around and leading to it will be a farm track. In the distance, some further work has taken place in the yard...

...which is seen a little clearer here.

This is the basis for a hard standing area around the yard, which is formed from mountboard, with the joins filled in by the same fine plaster used for the road surfaces. Where the board ends is filled with a little balsa filler, and will lead on to a gravelled/dirt area. There may well be another small building towards the front of this area as well.

Another view of the orchard area and entrance to the yard.

The other building to be attached is the second farm shed. This will be beside the farm house, and again is slightly built into the landscape. Both of these structures are Tomytec.

This picture shows an overall view of the country end of the layout, with the farm, farm buildings and workers cottages visible. You can see in the very foreground the base for the factory unit in place and given an undercoat of grey paint.

The retaining wall behind the station needs to be completed - I cut the plasticard for this today - as well as the road surface, before the niceties of scatter and attaching the buildings is looked at...

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
Good piccies of great work, Claude :thumbsup:

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
More progress, and this time progress is certainly tangible. The flock powders are starting to be added...

Work has been carried out in almost all parts of the layout over the lest two days, so to save jumping around, below is a little photographic tour of the layout from the station to the yard...

In the town the first of the buildings have been stuck down and bedded in. The car park has had a surface added, and the road has been painted with a textured paint. This did require some sanding as the texture is a little too course. I do quite like the colour of the road, the grey is fairly light...I do find a lot of N gauge road too dark.

Moving on, the area around the apartments has been covered, and the first layers of grass added. The base of the factory unit is also in place and painted. Most of the buildings here have now been fitted in place and bedding in also taking place.

Further up the layout, the farm and out building are in place; although the Tomytec farm needs a little more work. A small yard is now in place at the front of the layout, now home to a portacabin. The beginnings of the orchard are on the right at the front.

The road at the front leading away from the yard serves a small outbuilding in the orchard. The main road disappears into the backscene at this point, and you can see the junction for the stabling yard clearly.

Finally we have the yard. There is still some work to do here, as it still looks very bare.

This final picture shows the retaining wall beside the station, which has now been completed...

It still looks very bare at the moment...hopefully the addition of the tress will change the appearance.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
Excellent Layout Claude, coming on really well. Great attention to detail. 10 out of 10. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
As some will no doubt be aware, I have recently been diverted into the world of pre-grouping Sussex. However fear not, my focus has not entirely left the far east, with work plodding on with Kanjiyama.

Since my last update, quite a bit has changed. Trees have been sprouting up, especially on the sidings board. The last time we saw this section it was still pretty bare..this has now changed!  :D

We are not quite there yet, but buildings, various bits of detritus and general undergrowth has appeared, as can be seen here.

A JRF DE10 rests between duties in the loco siding. The road tanker in the foreground is for refuelling the Kanjiyama line units that stable here.

Speaking of which, one of the units, a KiHa58 set rests in the yard in the outer siding.

A single car KiHa53 sits in the middle sidings.

The Kanjiyama line has a number of small locos of its own...this is their DD16 shunter.

Finally, some overall pictures of the yard board.

We have a club 'work day' at the end of the month, which should hopefully see more progress on the station board, and then the club open day at the end of October...the layout's debut showing... :goggleeyes:

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
Not too much has happened on the layout over the previous couple of months, although yesterday I finally managed to get a couple of hours in the dining room to put together the long overdue backscene for the station board.

I have been hunting around for quite some time for a suitable image to use. As Kanjiyama is set in the mountain, I wanted a mountainous scene, without looking too European, or American; however Japanese scenes are really tricky to get hold of, especially decent sized panoramas. European Alpine scenes would be fine, as many mountain views in Japan look German, or Swiss, with lots of pine and rocky outcrops.

In the end, it was not just one scene that was used. I had an overall image upon which I overlayed a number of smaller scenes, for example a closer hillside behind the farm. The various joins were disguised by trees and bushes.

This overall view shows the town board, although the light in the shed is not great.

The backscene runs behind the main station board, and along the station end. This is mainly to provide some protection for the buildings immediately behind the platforms along the end of the layout. This end board is still being completed, with a couple of additional pictures - including a view of the disused trackbed looking away from the station - to be added.

There are two roads which lead directly into the backscene in the town. The main road has a simple Japanese street scene culled from the net, whilst the other is simply a photo of one of the buildings already on the layout, cut out and fixed to the backscene. This keeps the style of building the same, as well as (and perhaps more importantly) the shade of road surface.

Finally we move up to the farm. The same technique as in the town has been used for the barn. In addition, an additional wooded hillside scene has been added to improve the visual effect...a number of trees have been added to try to blend the backscene.

It's not perfect...the colours are a little pale (although distance views often are) and you can see the joins. I am also not absolutely happy with the quality of the card used, it has not fixed to the backscene perfectly. That said, it looks pretty good, and I am reasonably pleased with it.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
You have good reason to be pleased, Claude.
I think it looks very, very good :thumbsup:

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
I love your Japanese railways. It was seeing Yamanouchi Oshika at the Gaugemaster show that finally decided me to convert from OO to N.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »
Stunning CD, what a great village scene, love it.

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
Owhaio gosaimos, have for some reason missed this topic, love it, well done.

would only suggest to do something about your hills, bit of plaster of Parish, some demolition and paint and it looks much better.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments all!

Not sure I want too many more hills...I already have a few! I don't really use plaster of Paris as it can be quite fragile and liable to crack if you are not careful.

If you like hillsides, my club's Japanese layout - Yamanouchi Oshika - has a few!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here