!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Z Gauge - my other super expensive hobby....  (Read 5537 times)

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Z Gauge - my other super expensive hobby....
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
I've just started a layout in Z gauge....  :o

This was a spur of the moment thing, I was browsing on ebay as you do.... and i found a complete Marklin Z gauge starter set going cheap, put in a bid and got it for 65 !

Got bored of going round in circles so i splashed out on an inverted figure 8 of Rokuhan pre ballasted track and built a baseboard to fit. The layout is 36" x 18" which is a bit bigger than needed so i can do more scenery, the inclines are made from a pack of dominoes i found for 59p !

will start soon on the scenic stuff, i did consider trying nn3 scale (N gauge narrow gauge) but loco's are like hens teeth !!!

Anybody else a secret Z modeller ?

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Z Gauge - my other super expensive hobby....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
Hi Mike,

neat layout - make sure you post some piccies as you develop it. I'm not a closet Z gauger, I have enough trouble getting N gauge locos on the tracks correctly!

Malc
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
I've got various Z gauge bits from eBay as it's something I always wanted to try. Not had time to build a layout yet though.

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
I've got various Z gauge bits from eBay as it's something I always wanted to try. Not had time to build a layout yet though.
Always wanted to give it a go, but the cost put me off for years. They still produce new stuff but the prices are through the roof ! Luckily though the older stuff is really easy to fix - the build quality is brilliant and the only thing that seems to stop them is the oil turning in gunge and jamming up the gears, which is easily sorted.

Brand new US locos are reasonably cheap at about 70, but you can only get them from the US... :(  But i'm sure they won't have the build quality of the Marklin stuff.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
Always wanted to give it a go, but the cost put me off for years. They still produce new stuff but the prices are through the roof ! Luckily though the older stuff is really easy to fix - the build quality is brilliant and the only thing that seems to stop them is the oil turning in gunge and jamming up the gears, which is easily sorted.

Brand new US locos are reasonably cheap at about 70, but you can only get them from the US... :(  But i'm sure they won't have the build quality of the Marklin stuff.
The Microtrains Loco's are actually very good. Have a Santa Fe F7 converted to DCC . :doh:
I keep looking at which ones I have to see which will be broken down to make Nm3 Loco's. The F7 will fit perfectly in a US produced Shay body for N. :sorrysign:
Also have a Marklin US steamer converted to DCC.  :uneasy:

Don't use them now and have some Swiss and German stock as well.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
I have a small Z layout but given the fact the prices for Z have gone silly it's unlikely to go further. Z was in the same ballpark as N but with less stock choices and decent mechanisms.

Now the prices are insane, the products are no better than 1980s N scale, DCC is a nightmare, a sound is a total fail. And the track is chunky and hasn't improved.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
I keep looking at which ones I have to see which will be broken down to make Nm3 Loco's. The F7 will fit perfectly in a US produced Shay body for N. :sorrysign:

NOOOO !!!!!!  :o :o :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :'( :'(

I'm still looking for loco's.... hint hint nudge nudge....  :)

Mike

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
I'm not a Z Gauger, as like most folk, prices put me off. Also lack of any British RtR stuff put me off slightly too. If the prices were better I would have at least got a suitcase layout by now so I could use it when working away. (which seems more often than not these days >:()

I really admire z gauge stuff, especially the steam engines, they are true engineering marvels.

Good luck with the layout it looks great btw, can't wait to see it finished. :greatpicturessign:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
I'm not a Z Gauger, as like most folk, prices put me off. Also lack of any British RtR stuff put me off slightly too. If the prices were better I would have at least got a suitcase layout by now so I could use it when working away. (which seems more often than not these days >:()

I really admire z gauge stuff, especially the steam engines, they are true engineering marvels.

Good luck with the layout it looks great btw, can't wait to see it finished. :greatpicturessign:
me too ! my record of finishing layouts is not good - ask elvinley !  :-[

Mike

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
I've just started a layout in Z gauge....  :o

This was a spur of the moment thing, I was browsing on ebay as you do.... and i found a complete Marklin Z gauge starter set going cheap, put in a bid and got it for 65 !

Got bored of going round in circles so i splashed out on an inverted figure 8 of Rokuhan pre ballasted track and built a baseboard to fit. The layout is 36" x 18" which is a bit bigger than needed so i can do more scenery, the inclines are made from a pack of dominoes i found for 59p !

will start soon on the scenic stuff, i did consider trying nn3 scale (N gauge narrow gauge) but loco's are like hens teeth !!!

Anybody else a secret Z modeller ?

Me Me Me.but I,ll never admit it on this forum. I enjoy the size challenge and hope you will as well
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
Z is something I need to delve into eventually as the next layout WILL be a Swiss Nm affair, already have some rolling stock for it  ;)

Paul

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
Shame this thread wasn't posted earlier, my mate had a whole lot of US style Z gauge stuff at his second hand train shop that sat there for ages, no one seemed to want it and I know he got next to nothing for it in the finish, it comprised of locos, rolling stock, track, signals and other stuff, would have only cost a few bob to post it to the UK.
If he gets anymore I will PM you.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »
Z is something I need to delve into eventually as the next layout WILL be a Swiss Nm affair, already have some rolling stock for it  ;)
Paul
Already got swiss narrowgauge but Zm.  Buildings are swiss kits in Laser Cut wood. :help: Loco was serious money. Will post some pics of the rolling stock later.

Have Marklin 81530 Northern Pacific Freight starter set complete apart from track. Loco is 4-6-2 Pacific with 5 pole motor and DCC chip in top of the cab.
Swiss Sudostbahn  Electric Loco (5 pole motor)  with working overhead, and 2 Blue/Cream DB locos 1 Diesel,1 Electric both with 3 pole motor. stacks of german wagons and coaches, a couple of Modern swiss Coaches all surplus to requirements. Some of the wagon sets are as new, also a couple of collectors cars.
Set of 6 Marklin santa Fe Coaches with price of 122.95 on the box.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything