!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype!  (Read 90927 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype at TINGs!
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »

Hello all,

The bogies are clearly a modern design with the distinctive depressed centre to the main frame.  I wonder whether the TPM Sprinter bogies might be a better bet, or even Farish Mk4 coach bogies (if they are available from BR Lines or similar.)

Having said that, I am not sure of the wheelbase of either of the above, and there may be clearance issues if they represent bogies that are significantly longer than those fitted to the prototype.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline RussellH

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »
Thanks Ben

Info appreciated! - I'll get some 1700m from Bernard when we sort the railings out plus was thinking about some of the ATM bogies.

Mk4's wont fit - too long with the original coupler arm in place which also fouls the buffer beam details so cant really be chopped and glued.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
Other option is to look at some of the Japanese bogies especially those that come with plug in sides as you can then 3D print new sides without all the other hassle.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »
I'd like to apologise if anyone thought I was trying to cause an argument for the sake of it or to belittle the efforts of the developers - I wasn't.

But equally for the NGF to be a useful place we have to be able to disagree without fear of things getting personal.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

My posts were aimed at a about two members whom are openly admitting to starting arguments on the subject and funnily enough The same two whom have started similar arguments on other topics in the past they clearly know nothing about, just for attention seeking purposes/trying to look good.

Unfortunately their comments tend to do the hobby/concerned parties more harm than good and actually puts off people going for a huge project like this. One the hobby could clearly benefit from.
I will always welcome advice/constructive criticism/people pointing out things that may assist the potential project, but downright argument starting on a subject/field they know little about just upsets forum harmony.

Hmm, I think that is a little harsh...

There is no evidence on this thread of any arguments, nor have there been any unreasonable posts. I'm rather hoping that my original observation about a possible duplication by Farish has not been taken as a criticism, it was never intended to be so, just a valid question based on the well known and stated aim of the manufacturer - to have parallel offerings between 00 and N gauge.

Thus far it has been a well reasoned debate, with all participents wishing the project well.

There are concerns; particularly with regard to motorising the model. In my experience, the small four-wheeled motors are not hugely powerful, and don't like slow speeds. That may not necessarily be the case now (mine are a couple of years old), but anecdotal evidence from other Japanese modellers suggests it is. There have been reasonable suggestions made on suitable chassis, with pros and cons being put forward as to their suitability, and as I see it, this is the best way to settle on the best option.

I'm sure those who are producing this model, and those purchasing it, would like to have a suitable, and viable, source of motorising. Not discussing this aspect and making suggestions at this early stage will be to the detriment of the project as a whole.

Have the discussions now, and yes there may be disagreements...but would everyone not rather this was taking place now as opposed to a thread a few months after the model has been released asking how to motorise it, only to find the envisaged source of power does not fit properly, is under powered, or more concerning (and with the known production cycles of many Japanese products) unavailable?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:49:30 PM by Claude Dreyfus, Reason: Typos »

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »
Just a daft thought about powering the MPV, what about using the power train from something like the Dapol 153/156 units? I haven't taken one apart to look inside, but maybe components could be built into the chassis of the MPV?

Like I say, just a thought...  :-[
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »
Hi Guys,

Discussion always welcome as I'm sure we can't think of everything. Your most welcome to disagree or agree with anything so long as you all respect the opinions of others. However I prefer suggestions, hints and tips. If you find a flaw, fair enough, please point it out and if you can suggest a remedy too as that's really helpful. Don't worry about the duplication thing - as Iv said before with printing to order there is no waste - we print as many as we need. Buy which you prefer.

To address a few points, and bear in mind all this was done on the QT for Chris to give you all a nice surprise. Initial thoughts were that a Japanese manufactured motor would be of reasonable quality for this project so was ordered - it then took some time for it to turn up and was a bit questionable for running and really needed the rest of the chassis to test with (despite running around in a coach chassis). Meanwhile David had already finished the CAD work on the chassis and as shapeways takes forever to arrive this was ordered. Only when the chassis and bogie were assembled with the pickup bogie did I get any chance to see what it really ran like - just a week before the NGS. Once running, its stable but, the start and stop are not what were all used to now. It's got reasonable traction considering it's only supposed to have its other half to run with yet still managed 7 VBA on the straight so we can't really slag it off - it works! Then we find it's out of stock everywhere - very useful.

In search of a better (&available) drive the tomix TM04 was ordered. With time Iv worked out how it can be mounted under the floor and David done the CAD magic to make this happen including and the new bogie mount. This is ready for printing. If it works we still keep the flat deck. Keep you informed as it progresses.

Maybe the researchers out there can help but if the TM04's run out I think the TM01, 2 and 3 all have the same bits? Then TM05 - TM15(?) are very similar but with a double ended motor.

We also have the power bogie sides also ready to print just need to do the pin alignment. No way forward yet for the pickup bogie sides.

Interesting suggestions about using a dapol 153/156 we had also considered the 121 but the though of trashing expensive limited run models made me go elsewhere.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18392
    • Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
I have to be honest, I'm having similar problems with motorising the Metrolink tram at the moment so am following this thread very closely :-).

I have tried the TU-DEKI1 but the wheel spacing is too small at the moment (6.6mm). I am waiting for Bees to get a B2B Gauge to see if we can spread the wheels further apart to stop it from walking along the track.

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
Hi DATAjammer

Presume you have looked at portrams, TM-LRT01 etc? lots of variety in one place at plazajapan store on *bay.

What’s the wheel spacing & chassis length your after?

Regards
Russ

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
Russell - here is a link to all the Tomix etc chassis dimensions  http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ChassisDim.htm

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

Interesting suggestions about using a dapol 153/156 we had also considered the 121 but the though of trashing expensive limited run models made me go elsewhere.

Understandable, I don't suppose they'll sell the chassis or components separately?

I guess it would add alot to the bottom line sale price too.

Well done so far though  :NGaugersRule:

Regards, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
Hi Guys

Timber modules for the MPV - Please have a look and comment on these....

Its a two part module that fits back to back to make a whole one.

Regards
Russ

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline bees

• N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
The timber module looks superb,  you should all be proud of how the whole project is looking, after all the effort so far!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Timber modules look brilliant, really sows the massive advantages of all your hard work to hide the motor etc in the cab and chassis!!

Well impressed, I was thinking that the more usual modules one would be the one I'd be aiming for but this will look superb!!
Simon

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
really superb, this whole project rocks.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything