!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Single/Double slip radii  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Single/Double slip radii
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
I don't suppose anyone knows what the radius or I suppose angle is on these do they? I've looked at the Peco site but it doesn't appear to say what it is. I want to form a crossover which involves a point on the outer track which leads to a single slip, then to a double slip and finally another double slip. Below is what I intend doing to give access to my fiddle yard via 1 track, I will also be doing the reverse at the other end of the fiddle yard.

I have printed out the Peco templates and stuck a large radius point to the end of 3 slips but the angle of the point just doesn't look right to me.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Single/Double slip radii
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I have two double slips that I'm building into my yard area. All I can say is that Code 55 geometry (which the S/S & D/S are) is different from Code 80 so that any points that feed directly off the slips need to be Code 55 as well. I learnt this the hard frustrating way.

Hope that helps.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline martink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10410
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
All of the code 55 pointwork use a 10 degree angle.  The longish pieces (long radius points, curved points, three-way points, long crossings and slips) will naturally give a 27mm track spacing when connected directly together.  The short radius points will give a tighter spacing, and I'm not sure about the mediums.  If you need a wider spacing (such as between B & C in your diagram), you are going to have to add 2-4 inches of straight track as a filler.

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
All of the code 55 pointwork use a 10 degree angle.  The longish pieces (long radius points, curved points, three-way points, long crossings and slips) will naturally give a 27mm track spacing when connected directly together.  The short radius points will give a tighter spacing, and I'm not sure about the mediums.  If you need a wider spacing (such as between B & C in your diagram), you are going to have to add 2-4 inches of straight track as a filler.

Ah yes, I've been having a play with actual large points and slips etc rather than templates and they do seem to work as in my diagram. I take it that 27mm spacing is centre to centre to give the standard streamline spacing. There may well be a wider spacing between B and C but that will be decided once tracklaying begins. I just want to make sure I've got all the geometry correct before purchasing 6 sets of slips (ok 5 as I already have 1) as they're not exactly cheap.

Jack, it will ALL be code 55 so I have no concerns there but thanks anyway.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything