!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Greetings from Alberta  (Read 292 times)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Greetings from Alberta
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Hello K and welcome to the nuthouseforum :wave: :laugh3:

Offline grumbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Canadian! 🇨🇦, Iím just a hope over the hills from you in Nanaimo. So Iím aware of the NAR.  Iím a greedy fellow so Iím trying to build a layout with European, British and Canadian sections (I couldnít squeeze Japanese into 13x3 as well!)

Looking forward to seeing more of the layout, whereabouts in Alberta are you?

Graham

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 12:53:11 AM »
:welcomesign: nar guy I wish I could afford to build a new layout based on Canadadian Railways  ,My son treated us to two weeks in Canada one week in Lake Louise and one in Calgary ,but the weather was against us ,I wanted to see the huge hump shunting yard in the north of Calgary before it was closed but we did get to two Model Railway shops .
I would love to come over again and have a trip on the `Rocky Mountaineer but I doubt very much if that will ever happen .
Please can you put more photos on here for us .
Bob Tidbury

Funny, I live in Calgary yet I learn on a UK N scale forum that the hump yard gone-how does that work lol

That said, I was sad to see them get rid of the turntable ~12 years ago, quite the sight to see modern diesels on something dating back to steam locomotives. I think roundhouse is still there though.

I think the Mountaineer is kinda pricey, but it would probably be amazing experience.

Keith

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:51 AM »
Thank you all for the warm reception. And yes I will post some more photos shortly, even though I think they kinda suck lol. I am not a photographer for sure.

Cool thing about the NAR is they were jointly owned by the Canadian Pacific & Canadian National from 1930 to 1981, and frequently leased locos from their parent companies, so I can run CN & CP motive power along with the rather neat looking NAR blue/grey/yellow scheme. Then add the interchange with Pacific Great Eastern/British Columbia Railway and that's a lot of variety of engines on a layout.

Glad I finally joined this group.

Keith

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
Here's a few more photos of the 4x12 layout-

Another view of the passenger train

Interchange track at the south end of the yard

West side industries

Thanks for looking

Keith

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
Lovely.
I particularly like that shot of the train running between the trees.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Red & white Trafalgar Square
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »
Love the layout!  :thumbsup:

I was surprised to see mountains and conifers. I always thought Alberta was on the great plains.

But the transition to the Rockies occurs in your state, right?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:42:14 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 04:36:17 AM »
Love the layout!  :thumbsup:

I was surprised to see mountains and conifers. I always thought Alberta was on the great plains.

But the transition to the Rockies occurs in your state, right?

Thank you sir for the thumbs up

Here in Calgary the Rockies are to west, and bald azz prairie to the east & south, and to a certain extent to the north as well, but the further north you go you get into 'parkland' i.e. more trees. Where the NAR ran (southern terminus was Edmonton, so about 180 miles north of here) there's prairie, parkland, forest, muskeg & river valleys, but no mountains.

Those aren't mountains I'm modelling, rather hills to create the look that the layout is in a valley. As I mentioned earlier in this thread all those conifers aren't really accurate for the area I'm generally modelling now, but when the layout was set in southern Alberta there was very little green, which I got tired of, so yeah, I have lots of trees now, and more green stuff to come lol. Not only is it more pleasing to look at, but all those trees make for a nice view block.

And the smaller layout I'm planning is going to follow the same theme, just on a much smaller scale. And will be double tracked, which is totally inaccurate for the NAR, and actually most of Canada, but hey I want to be able to watch two trains run laps if the mood trikes. You know, Rule 1 and all  ;)

I should really post a photo of that layout, but right now its just a bunch track sitting on my living room floor.

Thanks again
Keith

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 04:51:09 AM »
Thanks, Keith!  :thumbsup:

Fills in a few gaps in my knowledge of Canadian geography!  :beers:

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
 :hellosign: nar guy ,When we stayed in Calgary we stayed with a friend they live in Bridleglenn Manor South  and as I said before the weather was against us but we did get to the Chinook Model Railway shop and another one that Iíve forgotten the name off .
I would love to go back and really see Calgary and Lake Louise again and my wife would love to go to the huge shopping Mall in Edmonton though I dont know if there is aModel Railway Shop there .If we win the Lottery thatís one of the things on my bucket list .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 10:35:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
the layout is looking great... Those trees are great!  did you make them yourself? 

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 05:16:15 AM »
:hellosign: nar guy ,When we stayed in Calgary we stayed with a friend they live in Bridleglenn Manor South  and as I said before the weather was against us but we did get to the Chinook Model Railway shop and another one that Iíve forgotten the name off .
I would love to go back and really see Calgary and Lake Louise again and my wife would love to go to the huge shopping Mall in Edmonton though I dont know if there is aModel Railway Shop there .If we win the Lottery thatís one of the things on my bucket list .
Bob Tidbury

Relatively speaking Bridlewood isn't far from me. Last time I was in Chinook, a place I shopped at a lot, was in '16 and they had totally forgot what customer service meant. They closed up last year, apparently in the middle of the night. The other place you're probably thinking of is Trains & Such, I drive past there on my 5 km commute to work-very handy!

Funny you mention the West Edmonton Mall-I was there in December, first time since I was a teen, in '87. Why? Because my ex fiance from 20 years ago, who now lives in the Arctic, was able to get there, sorta thru her work, on the cheap-way cheaper than flying Calgary-Ottawa-Iqaluit, which I've done, but it takes two days, and it costs a lot. Hell I could fly to Cancun for a fraction of the price!

But I digress. If you (or anyone) wants to see Alberta, go to the mountains-see Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Columbia ice fields, etc. And if you got the time & money sure check out the mall-it is cool, but at the same time its just a mall.

Oh, and if you have even more time, you can check out the world's largest Easter egg & a 'real' UFO landing pad. I've seen neither, nor have any desire to   :confused1:

BTW I'm from Saskatchewan, so I'm not even a fan of this province  ;)

Keith

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 05:22:32 AM »
A trip on the Rocky Mountaineer is on the bucket list, but unfortunately that's on hold due to hopefully temporary health probs at the moment. Also I'm hoping to get to TINGS to terrorize a few members back in the Old Dart!  :beers:

Offline nar guy

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: Today at 04:21:51 AM »
the layout is looking great... Those trees are great!  did you make them yourself?

Thank you! My retired dad built the trees for me last summer (and there is a lot of them), and all I did was trim them a bit & add extra ground foam as required.  He thanks you as well for your kind comments.

Keith   

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything