!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix BR85 2-10-2  (Read 74 times)

Offline Artfulend

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Minitrix BR85 2-10-2
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »
I'm totally new to the forum so please bear with me!  I own a Minitrix BR85 2-10-2 heavy switcher (model 12717) which I purchased second hand on eBay some time ago.  It was in need of a good clean which I only recently got round to doing...and I now wish I hadn't!  Unfortunately I took the bottom panel off which released the drivetrain and have since been unable to put the wheels and intervening gears back in correctly.  I disconnected the motor in the hope that this would allow me to realign the wheels freely, but no matter what I seem to do, the locomotive now runs with a significant wobble and it seems that the wheels in the centre have more vertical play than those at either end.  I can only assume there is a specific order that must be followed when reinstalling the components so as to ensure that they mesh correctly with the intervening gears.  Does anyone have any experience with this model and this sort of problem?  Many thanks in advance!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix BR85 2-10-2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
G'day from Australia, Artfulend, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I personally can't help with this specific problem, but you've come to the right place!

Sounds to me your diagnosis is correct - the gears will have to be replaced in the correct order.

We have many Minitrix experts here, and no doubt someone will be along shortly!

Once again, welcome on board.  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:06:56 PM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:09:22 PM »
Hi Artfulend :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:

Sorry, I can't help with this problem either but as Bealman says someone here is bound to know.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline bigmac

• N Gauge Society Number: n/a
  • 2mm Association Number: n/a
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:55:05 PM »
if its anything like the minitrix 9f chassis--good luck.  i did the same thing to one--in the 1970's.  never ran right after--so i sent it back to hornby ( hornby minitrix in the UK back then).  they sent me a brand new one-free of charge.

there are a couple of guys on here probably know how to do it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:56:22 PM by bigmac »
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:40:06 PM »
It's a very tricky procedure to reset all the wheels and intermediate gears correctly once you've had them out of the chassis. Basically you remove all the rods, then set about carefully dropping one wheel at a time and rotating it by one gear tooth and re-inserting in the chassis block, checking if the quartering now lines up with adjacent wheels. You have to take into account the slight amount of play in the mechanism.

Bad enough with a simple 0-6-0, a 10-wheeler is not fun at all but it can be done.

The other more drastic option is to actually remove all the wheels from the axles and re-fit them with properly aligned quartering. I'm not really a fan of that approach, although it may well be more akin to how the wheels were fitted at the factory using some kind of jig.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:42:54 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £250.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £165.00
Below Goal: £85.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
February Donations

Advertise Here