!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 50  (Read 48584 times)

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 50
« Reply #465 on: December 31, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
My 50ís wonít haul clay four wheelers derails the lead one on r2 and r3 curves unfortunately

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #466 on: January 03, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
How about adding a bit of weight to the front wagon to counter the pressure of the close coupling mechanism?

Cheers
Mark

Offline chrisgy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
GBRF livery may be worth doing as are out on main line

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2020, 11:01:48 AM »
I havenít got a Class 50 but a fellow club member has two.
The problem with derailing appears, to me, to be due to the coupling on the locomotive being body mounted rather than the bogie. Hence there is no articulation.

Another problem that occurred when we were running the two 50s in opposite directions (particularly in our fiddle yard where the tracks are a bit close) is that when passing at slow speed going in opposite directions, the powerful magnets force the two locos to lean together (where the magnets attract) and derail both engines.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline St Richards

• N Gauge Society Number: 23193
    • Awards
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2020, 10:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The problem is certainly the body mounted coupling. As with an articulated lorry, the back of the trailer swings out to the right when it makes a left turn, and vice versa. The amount of swing depends on the pivot point of the wheels. The Class 68 is a 4 wheel bogie so is mounted nearer the end of the loco, so there is less swing which the couplings seem to cope with. The class 50 being a 6 wheel bogie pivots further away so more swing dragging the leading carriage or truck off the track. It is also impossible to couple any train whilst on a curve without a lot of operator intervention. I feel the old adage, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #470 on: January 13, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »
It is also impossible to couple any train whilst on a curve without a lot of operator intervention. 

This has been the problem that almost nobody seems to have noticed or called out about all close coupling systems in British N since day 1. All the coaching stock, Dapol, Farish, has this problem - the coupling needs to be forced to turn/extend with the bogie, which none of them do. I'm not sure how this continues to be overlooked.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

ďWe have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.Ē Ė Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #471 on: January 13, 2020, 09:24:28 AM »
My class 50 is running really well with a rake of Minitrix blue / grey coaches I havnt tried it on any other stock yet but will try it on China clay wagons or milk tanks tonight .Will post my results tomorrow or the next time I go down the shed ,itís too cold to go down in this weather unless I have visitors , I canít afford the gas fires on just for me .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:53:25 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #472 on: January 13, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
Not being able to couple on a curve (except a very gentle curve) is a standard issue for Kadees in H0/00 gauge, too. Layouts that use couplings of this sort need to be - and often are - designed around this limitation. I do not believe that this is unique to the Class 50.
Peertube > Youtube

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
I do not believe that this is unique to the Class 50.

It certainly isn't. Cross country voyagers often give the staff problems when trying to uncouple two units on the curved platforms in Birmingham New Street station.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2020, 11:10:57 PM »
Having renumbered/renamed all of my large logo class 50s, I have finally got around to varnishing them. After some initial difficulties with the varnish giving a grainy mottled finish and not properly covering the shine from the number/name removals, I realised that I was holding the can too far from the model when spraying, causing the varnish to dry before it reached the model, and holding it at a 10-20cm distance improved matters considerably.

Here are some photographs of the class 50s in their post varnished state. The photograph of 50037 "Illustrius" in NSE livery is still in original condition: I have yet to renumber the NSE liveried examples of the class 50s that I have (although I plan to keep one as "Illustrious". 50040 is renamed, but not renumbered.

Varnished class 50s by James Petts, on Flickr

50031 by James Petts, on Flickr

50040 by James Petts, on Flickr

50036 by James Petts, on Flickr

50036 by James Petts, on Flickr

50033 by James Petts, on Flickr

50037 by James Petts, on Flickr

By way of comparison, here is a re-numbered Farish class 47 in NSE livery:

47583 by James Petts, on Flickr
Peertube > Youtube

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #475 on: February 28, 2020, 06:42:20 AM »
Nice work.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Online crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
Yes good work James. I recommend an airbrush for varnishing. Precision Paints (no connection) do airbrush-ready varnish in matt, satin and gloss and I've had good results; in my opinion rattlecans lack finesse for N-gauge.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #477 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »
Thank you both! I'm a little reluctant to invest in an airbrush without a clear advantage that outweighs the storage space, compressor noise, set up effort and all manner of other difficulty entailed by an airbrush. I seem to have got acceptable results with this so far, so I shall perhaps continue with this for the present.

I am considering trying Railmatch varnish aerosol, however.
Peertube > Youtube

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #478 on: April 12, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »
I have been spending some time this week-end setting up the lighting on my class 50s with the Zimo MX618N18 decoder, and I thought that people might find it helpful if I were to share my settings to allow anyone else to set these up in the same way with rather less work.

The setup that I have is that F0 turns the headlights/tail lights on and off, depending on the direction, in the normal way (i.e. the normal way for a locomotive fitted with a 6-pin chip). F1 suppresses the tail lights in either direction, and F4 operates the cab lights, which are also directional.

The following instructions are intended to be used in conjunction with JMRI Decoder Pro, which is the easier way to set this up, as it can be done from menus rather than programming individual CVs by hand. The headings below are the tab names for the individual tabs in Decoder Pro.

Function output
Optional
Output level: 64 (this stops the light from being too bright)

Function map
Forward headlight: front light, FO 2
Reverse headlight: rear light, FO 1
FO 4: FO 3, FO 4

Lights
Loco rear lights off: Controlled by F1 key
Loco rear additional function of: FO 2
FO 3 behaviour: Only in reverse
FO 4 behaviour: Only in forward
Peertube > Youtube

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Peertube videos
    • Awards
« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »
I have eventually got around to renumbering/renaming/adding etched nameplates to my Network SouthEast class 50s, all now DCC and stay-alive fitted. We have:

50037 by James Petts, on Flickr

50037 "Illustrious" with factory name and crest but etched nameplates (Fox);

50037 Oxford by Carl Looker, on Flickr

50032 Oxford by Carl Looker, on Flickr

50032 "Courageous" by James Petts, on Flickr

50032 "Courageous" with Railtec transfers for the numbers and etched nameplates (Fox); and

50025 by Redhill Bull, on Flickr

50025 "Invincible" by James Petts, on Flickr

50025 "Invincible" with Railtec transfers and etched nameplates (Fox).

The only thing left to do is apply a coat of matt varnish to seal in the transfers and hide the polished spots; this will have to wait until I get my Bench Vent out.
Peertube > Youtube

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal