!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

How is your Schools class?

First Loco Good
38 (61.3%)
Minor problem
7 (11.3%)
Bad enough to return
7 (11.3%)
Second Loco Good
10 (16.1%)
(%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class  (Read 59518 times)

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
If you want Maunsell green then you probably need to find 100 buyers and commission one via Dapol. Or if people only want a few it'll be cheaper to talk to Mercig and respray them.

Alan

Perhaps we should do something 'official' to try and push this. Could we start with a poll or a kind of petition of interested people on the forum?

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
We're still waiting for the class 142 pacer which was some years back. Treat any model arrival data as 'advisory at best'. Short of simply not telling you till its in the shops I'm not sure how much better they could do though given the way the Chinese production works and how much a problem can kick you back.

If you want Maunsell green then you probably need to find 100 buyers and commission one via Dapol. Or if people only want a few it'll be cheaper to talk to Mercig and respray them.

Alan

Osborns have Maunsell green in mind, I and several others have registered interest in this, hope this helps.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
I have a Schools on pre-order since March and wondered if there was any delivery info. Checked with the Hatton's site and nothing there so went to Dapol.

The Dapol site doesn't recognise the product code, so zero info there.

Is it that they've changed product codes again or is there something else going on - see other thread re KMRC and DJM?

Dave G

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
When this was announced I got very exited, the ONE loco I have wanted above all others! the continuing lack of news is a major disappointment. When Dapol settle down perhaps they will be able to give a detailed programme of proposed production, not dates but just the order that the various catalogued models will be produced, Pengi might even get her Pendolino! If Dapol are not going ahead with this perhaps some other enterprising manufacturer might take it up.
    I note elsewhere that progress on the BoB/WC has stalled at this rate I might change scale!  :(  :-\
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline d-a-n

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
I'm really not holding my breath with this one anymore. I don't understand manufacturing processes or costs at the amounts they will produce these in so I can't even guess what the matter might be. There is so much I am also waiting for from Dapol (33, 50, 59 etc) and I can't see any of it coming out at a pace which is anything quicker than glacial. I turn 30 this year, maybe I'll get a schools for my 40th.

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »
I'm really not holding my breath with this one anymore. I don't understand manufacturing processes or costs at the amounts they will produce these in so I can't even guess what the matter might be. There is so much I am also waiting for from Dapol (33, 50, 59 etc) and I can't see any of it coming out at a pace which is anything quicker than glacial. I turn 30 this year, maybe I'll get a schools for my 40th.

Oh dear! That means mine will arrive just after my 76th!  :(

Dave G

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Dunno what you're moaning about I'm 80 in March so what are my chances? Same goes for their  Maunsell coaches and the Farish mogul.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
I'm an optimist, though I have tablets for it.

If Dapol have lost two projects and cancelled at least one other (the 7mm Beattie tank) that should help with the log-jam.  Perhaps when the Kernow dust settles we may see some stuff a bit earlier than we otherwise might?

I said I'm an optimist........

Les

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 07:24:11 AM »
Hope springs eternal, Les!

Dave G

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »
I suspect that with

* Escalating costs of Chinese manufacture
* Difficulties in scheduling and getting product out of china
* Recent changes in key personnel
* And the spat with Kernow

We are more likely to see more delays, and possibly cancellations, rather than previously announced products got to market quickly. There also already seems to have been a change in scale/gauge emphasis away from N (more OO and O) which is likely to increase with the new Lionel chap.

But we can dream.

H.

Offline Mr chapman

• N Gauge Society Number: 21988
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
The schools seems to have disappeared from the dapol website completely... I wanted one for my man of kent. I hope its going ahead, dapol get there eventually. Its not like we're starved for motive power like in the poole days. BOB/WC/Merchant Navy all from one mould and a GP tank. So we have to wait a while, I can live with that. In the mean time perhaps I can afford the N class or merchant navy from farish.
DCC southern modeller

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
I've a rake of SR green Bulleid's on pre-order that I thought could go with the Schools. They're due around the New Year. May have to review what may pull those.

Dave G

ParkeNd

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
The lead time on new model locos seems to mirror the lead time on new industrial electromechanical products especially where plastic injection moulding tooling is involved. Just one plastic component can have a tooling lead time of 20 weeks and shipping time from China is something else unless aeroplanes are involved.

Hard to imagine less than a year from "wish" to "shops".  Don't know how big Dapol UK and Bachmann UK are but they will have to compete with the rest of their company for UK new products against Continental and US models. If the UK staff is tiny then this will be an uphill battle.

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
Experienced a similar 'just wait for it' situation when I worked for a small UK division of a Japanese electronics giant.

We were given a production allocation but the 'when' bit depended on how well the big markets. If the US and Australasia sales were good, we waited an age for the kit.

No point in getting annoyed but it is disappointing. As suggested earlier, buy something else!

Dave G

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
I do have a Schools on my layout, A Del Crapo one parked almost out of sight behind the shed, one of these days I'll get round to hacking the smoke box door into an open position with a bloke digging out the clinker. I originally bought it to investigate possible work to make it mobile, even if it ment a motorised van behind it. Decided maybe not a viable propostion!
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything