!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

How is your Schools class?

First Loco Good
38 (61.3%)
Minor problem
7 (11.3%)
Bad enough to return
7 (11.3%)
Second Loco Good
10 (16.1%)
(%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class  (Read 58718 times)

Online PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
[Devil's Advocate Mode]
I wonder if they've sorted out the 'soft' side motion rods that were so very bendy on the first batch...
I wonder if they've sorted out the heavy handed users that seemed so adept at mishandling the first batch and bending the rods...

Hopefully Dapol have redesigned the front bogie, which seems to be the root cause of problems with the previous models.
Hopefully Dapol haven't compromised the front bogie mounting design, which more closely resembled the prototype than most previous models...

[/Devil's Advocate Mode]

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Hopefully Dapol have redesigned the front bogie, which seems to be the root cause of problems with the previous models.
no redesign required, the bogie pivot post  needs to be extended about 1mm to allow enough vertical clearance so that the bogie does not lift off the track if the leading driving wheels are raise 1mm of the track, this topped the derailments. I proved this soon after the Schools were released originally and posted my fix for this both here and on the Dapol digest.

hope this helps

Alex 

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2019, 11:54:06 PM »
Perhaps Dapol will shop the new lot with a warning sticker and a pair of kid gloves.

Online PLD

• Awards
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2019, 11:57:21 PM »
the bogie pivot post needs to be extended about 1mm to allow enough vertical clearance so that the bogie does not lift off the track if the leading driving wheels are raise 1mm of the track
Unless I'm really misunderstanding your meaning, there must be something seriously wrong in the tracklaying (e.g. very large steps or twists) for wheels to be lifter that far above the rail head...  :hmmm:

Online PLD

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2019, 11:58:40 PM »
Perhaps Dapol will shop the new lot with a warning sticker and a pair of kid gloves.
well probably better than the boxing gloves some modellers would seem to wear to handle their locos...  ;)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:15 AM »
the bogie pivot post needs to be extended about 1mm to allow enough vertical clearance so that the bogie does not lift off the track if the leading driving wheels are raise 1mm of the track
Unless I'm really misunderstanding your meaning, there must be something seriously wrong in the tracklaying (e.g. very large steps or twists) for wheels to be lifter that far above the rail head...  :hmmm:

A lot of makes of points have edges and drops that really caught them out.

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: April 07, 2019, 12:05:57 AM »

what about gradients?

regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything