!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

How is your Schools class?

First Loco Good
38 (60.3%)
Minor problem
7 (11.1%)
Bad enough to return
8 (12.7%)
Second Loco Good
10 (15.9%)
(%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class  (Read 71231 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - 4-4-0 Schools class
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
I used an MX648R with the YouChoos sound scheme, along with a modified mini sugar cube.

The decoder is stripped of the unnecessary plastic sleeve and unused wires, and the four power wires are re-soldered so they point inward not outwards.  the speaker has the entire sound box replaced with a flat piece of plastic card.  There is still a cavity formed by the depth of the sticky foam grommet.

The loco tender is stripped of all wires, the DCC socket and its mounting.  this allows the decoder to lie big capacitors up and to the back, sloping on the edge of the motor.  You also trim the motor corner to gain a few mm.

You then solder up the speaker and wrap it in kynar tape and then tape it to the decoder so they form one module.  This should now fit very snugly and a small slot in the coal allows the extra 2.5mm of height required.  This hole can be filled later with tape glue and fake coal.

My advice is don't copy me unless you absolutely know what you are doing as there is no room for error its such a tight fit.  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:12:49 AM by Snowwolflair »

Offline JRS747

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Just started out in N gauge
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »

I finally got my Merchant Taylors yesterday. Checked it out today: disaster; the front pony truck was fitted so one trailing wheel overlapped and jammed the connecting rods and valve gear on the right side. After removing the pony truck and refitting it clear of the rods I found the loco would only turn half a wheel revolution in either direction, I assume that the incorrect fitting of the pony truck has distorted the connecting rods. In fact the left side rods which weren't fouled are even more distorted than the right side.

John   :'(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
I think the shop might have sent you a returned loco by mistake, if you look closely at the wheels it looks as though it has already been run quite a bit.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
Sorry to hear that John, looks like you're one of the unlucky ones.
Best thing is to send it back for replacement.
From your description of the fault.it looks like someone has already tried to run it and jammed up after a derailment.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline JRS747

• Awards
« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »
I think the shop might have sent you a returned loco by mistake, if you look closely at the wheels it looks as though it has already been run quite a bit.

I see what you mean. Its going back anyway.
I might just ask for a refund, the valve gear looks so complicated and fragile that I have no confidence in it lasting. Its a shame as I really like the model.

John
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »

I might just ask for a refund, the valve gear looks so complicated and fragile that I have no confidence in it lasting. Its a shame as I really like the model.

John
I hope you stick with it John. I've got two Schools and they are both great models that run well.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
We have been running six schools at out club running day.  Check the back to back gauge on the bogie wheels and also try adjusting the bogie fixing screw.  Also look for distorted valve gear either resulting from damage or handling where the valve gear is too far in.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: August 13, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »

I finally got my Merchant Taylors yesterday. Checked it out today: disaster; the front pony truck was fitted so one trailing wheel overlapped and jammed the connecting rods and valve gear on the right side. After removing the pony truck and refitting it clear of the rods I found the loco would only turn half a wheel revolution in either direction, I assume that the incorrect fitting of the pony truck has distorted the connecting rods. In fact the left side rods which weren't fouled are even more distorted than the right side.

John   :'(

Agree with Silly Moo - that loco is very clearly not 'Factory Fresh' - It shows signs that it has done a considerable amount of running and sufficient wear to say it can't be classified as 'new'...

It may be that the retailer has "recycled" a previously returned item as suggested, or alternatively this has been their demo sample and it has run up and down their test track many times and probably in and out of its box a number of times. Either way it is a bit naughty of them to sell it as 'new'. I would be interested to know who the retailer is (PM if you don't want to name on forum) - this is not the first case of similar sharp practice so would be interested to see if it is the same name again...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
Yep, that is definitely not a new loco. Disgraceful.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
I do think the shop could have made a mistake, especially if they have a few members of staff, it could have got moved from the 'return to Dapol' pile back into stock. The photo is a good illustration of what can go wrong if you aren't careful with this loco.

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »
Even if it is a genuine mistake, it's still not good. I'm sorry, but with the cost of these models these days, there should be more vigilance.

Just the way I see it.  :thumbsup:

Offline JRS747

• Awards
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
The retailer is a small model shop, no staff, a one man band. The owner is very helpful and conscientious. I think that the rogue could have come from Dapol rather than the retailer.

John

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
Ok, I'm sure the person is genuine and someone who is obviously dedicated to this hobby,

If you are going into it to make a living, though, you need to keep a careful eye on things.

I'm not trying to stir. :beers:

Offline JRS747

• Awards
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »

John
I hope you stick with it John. I've got two Schools and they are both great models that run well.

I'm asking for a refund. The spirits of the track have spoken: three returns this week out of three new locos. I can take a hint!
John

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to buying all these duff Schools at TINGS very cheap, they are very easy to fix.    8)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal