!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney  (Read 56749 times)

Offline Mr.Grumpy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Futuristic N-Gauge Modeller
    • Awards
Re: Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »
I would personally love to see more pictures of your high street illuminated at night. The resolution of the pictures just doesn't do it justice, truly amazing modelling and lighting.
N Gauge Dystopian Future: Planning | Construction

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
Hi Caz,

Just found your thread and must say that your layout has to be one of the best I've ever seen. When I saw your opening post saying you were about to start your first layout on your own I was certainly not expecting the track plan you showed and when you posted the first pictures I was absolutely gobsmacked. Stunning  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm interested in using spray foam for landscape construction myself and wonder if you could give me some tips. One problem I've found in trials is judging how much to apply as it expands far more that I epected. Do you just spray blobs of it and then carve the final shape or have you managed to create the contours straight from the can ?
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
I would personally love to see more pictures of your high street illuminated at night. The resolution of the pictures just doesn't do it justice, truly amazing modelling and lighting.

Cheers for the compliment MrGrumpy (I'm sure you're not really - or are you  :smiley-laughing: ).   I'm hoping to get a friend who is a member of the local camera club to come round and take some better pictures  :)

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
Hi Caz,

Just found your thread and must say that your layout has to be one of the best I've ever seen. When I saw your opening post saying you were about to start your first layout on your own I was certainly not expecting the track plan you showed and when you posted the first pictures I was absolutely gobsmacked. Stunning  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm interested in using spray foam for landscape construction myself and wonder if you could give me some tips. One problem I've found in trials is judging how much to apply as it expands far more that I epected. Do you just spray blobs of it and then carve the final shape or have you managed to create the contours straight from the can ?

Thanks Chinahand glad you like it and welcome back to the western world  ;)

Using spray foam is great fun, if you're not careful it goes everywhere  :smiley-laughing:   I made up some 3 or 4mm ply formers for the areas that I wanted and sprayed the foam into the area created.  ONLY spray about half of what you'll think you're need as I was amazed just how much it expanded   :o  You can always add a bit more once the first lot has set which is a lot easier that trying to remove it from where you didn't want it to go (won't go there, as I still get nightmares  :(  ).

Once it has set, I then used a very sharp large kitchen knife to carve roughly into shape and a smaller one to finish off.  Don't be too impatient as it seems set on the outside but is still very gooey inside.   I then used kitchen roll dipped into a mixture of PVA,and brown poster paint and layered it in sheets over the foam, some places I used two layers where I wanted extra strength.  Once set, it is surprisingly strong and doesn't chip like a plaster mix would.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:05:54 PM by whiteswan »

Offline Chinahand

• N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
Thanks Caz. that was very helpful.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
Just an update on what's been happening on the layout, well not a lot really (see below for other current projects) other than I've finally finished painting all the track sides, points etc track colour - what a mammoth job, about 80 mtrs of track, nearly 70 points, crossings, a double slip and 2 scissors crossovers, now got to finish the ballasting  :(

Other concurrent projects include sorting out the automatic uncoupling for yard shunting, scenifying the Claywell goods yard and the MPD and as if that wasn't enough, now trying to work out how to add sound to a new Farish Class 08 which Mr Hatton kindly delivered this week, almost forgot, also starting a scratch build platform canopy project as I need lots of them, what was that about a woman's work never being done  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
what was that about a woman's work never being done  :)

Well - the only bloke who got his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe ;D

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
Cor, my own man Friday, now that's a good idea, always fancied a toy boy   :evil:

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
What a superb layout.  :o

Excellent track plan with plenty going on. The way you have done the scenery really brings it to life.

You have serious modelling skills. Maybe you can teach us blokes how to do it properly  ::)

We need alot more pics though so keep em coming  :thumbsup:

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »
Hear, Hear!

Brilliant work, Caz.

Dave

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks Cudders and Dave for the comments,  :-[  much appreciated and will try to do better.  I don't think I can teach most of you guys anything except perhaps, read, look learn and by patient, you've had years of practice modelling and normally have mates to help out when you're stuck. 

My skills have mainly come from all the layouts you guys have done, together with all the how-to articles and asking stupid questions on forums like this one   :)   I look, learn and copy the things that look good on the various layouts and real life pictures seen in the mags and on the internet. 

Mind you, I have made some horrendous mistakes by the trial and error method which has meant ripping it up and starting it again but has been, and is great fun, I just love learning and despite reaching my retirement years will never stop learning, it keeps me young.

Hope to have more pics when I finish scenifying the Claywell MPD and goods yard, but progress has slowed down now as it is too hot here to do much in August  :)

Offline Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Now the heat of the high summer is over I can get back to modelling.  Currently working on finishing the MPD, tidying up and detailing the goods yard and at last constructing High Hackton through station and footbridge. 

The station building sits on a skewed road bridge over 6 tracks and 4 platforms and has taken quite a bit of working out how to do it.  Success at last, it's looking good and has a P&D Marsh modified lattice footbridge connecting the platforms and linking to the station building, hope to get some pictures posted this weekend.  Still needs a lot of detailing but until I get all the track ballasted that will have to wait.

I'm also in the process of fitting B&B couplings to some of the stock to improve automatic coupling and uncoupling, tried the D&G first but the B&B's although fiddly to make seem to work much better and are more reliable  :)

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
Fantastic layout Caz,I love to see multi level track plans and this doesn't disappoint in that regard.
I need to get my finger out and get cracking with mine,trouble is,theres too many great layouts on here for me to add my mediocrity too.Some might disagree with that,but we'll wait and see when I start a thread.

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 07:07:55 AM »
Now the heat of the high summer is over I can get back to modelling.  ...

That was my excuse  :uneasy: I need to find another as I am frightened to start ballasting. Fancy a trip to Italy ?  :laugh:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
Go for it Jerry

Once you've started it's not so bad. I use Copydex as it's a bit more forgiving and as it's latex the sound, in my opinion, is better.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything