!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Rekindled Layout  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
A Rekindled Layout
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »
About 15 years ago I joined the West Sussex N gauge Society area group. They follow the modular principle in layout construction, enabling a wide variety of eras and countries to be depicted in a single layout. Admittedly, it is not to everyone's taste, especially down to the rather disparate mixture of styles - and dare I say it, abilities - making one of these modular layouts a somewhat varied offering.

That said, it is a great opportunity to hone your modelling skills, and gives those of us without much space the ability to build into something much larger than we could accomodate - layouts in excess of 30 foot long are quite common.

Anyhow, I took the opportunity at this time to construct a small modular board of a urbanish terminus with a small yard, set 'Somewhere in Britain' in the late 1980s/early 90s. It was quite successful, and did manage a number of shows, most notibly as part of the West Sussex groups offering at the N Gauge Society's 35th Anniversary show back in 2002.

After a couple of years it went into storage, sitting in a farm outbuilding until seeing the light of day towards the end of last week. It is now back home with me, leaving me to assess what can be done to it. I will be rigging it up to a controller next weekend to see if the point motors work, however from a visual point of view it seems to have survived pretty well...the missing bit of scenery was removed this weekend as it was completely shot.

I have barely any suitable UK outline stock any longer, so - as seems to be usual for me - I'm looking at ways of converting to Japanese outline. One of the things that will go is the ability to plug it into the N Gauge modular system...the three tracks at the front will be removed.

I am still at the assessment stage, however here are a couple of snaps to show the current state; complete with a little bit of suitable Japanese stock...I'm pleased to see that a DD51 will just about fit into the run-round loop!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:49:38 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline findus

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23578
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: A Rekindled Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:04:39 AM »
Nice bit of work there, do you have any pictures of the complete layout from any of the shows you did.? always nice to see old pictures  :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
Looks good, and has kept well in the outbuilding.  Any idea what you'll do at the front when you remove the tracks?

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
Nice bit of work there, do you have any pictures of the complete layout from any of the shows you did.? always nice to see old pictures  :thumbsup:

Sadly no... It appeared at three shows in its career, however for some reason I was not armed with a camera at any of them!

Looks good, and has kept well in the outbuilding.  Any idea what you'll do at the front when you remove the tracks?

It has survived suprisingly well...that said, I have yet to play with the electrics. I'm not too sure what I will be doing with the front of the layout. Current thinking is for a town area here, with a small station building...the original (a Kestrel glass waiting shelter) did not survive too well!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:40:43 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything