!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco plastic trackgauge.  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Alycidon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Peco plastic trackgauge.
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
Finally started track laying at the weekend,  have a question about the Peco plastic track gauge tool, the red one.

One side has two lugs marked for from memory 6 feet spacings which look about right, they correspond to the Peco track plan I am using so thats what I have used.  However on the other side there is another pair of spacings which look to be about 10 feet.  I have seen models and real railways set at a wider gauge but was wondering if i should have used the wider spacing on a twin track 12 inch (approx!!) curves that I have laid.   Layout is planned as mainline/heavy freight so big engines and long coaches will be present.

The Peco layout I am using runs Pacific engines and coaches ok, just want to make sure I wont have an issue when I come to run it.  The curve is mainly within a tunnel feeding a fiddle yard.  Dont have any rolling stock yet other than a couple of 16 ton 7 plank wagons.

Have done a search and failed to find anything.

Thanks

A

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
Re: Peco plastic trackgauge.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »
I think you will find that the wider spaced lugs give the spacing for track using setrack points, and the other [closer spaced] gives spacing where streamline points are used .

cheers

alan
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
Hi

I was led to believe that the closer spaced lugs was for correct distance between straight parallel tracks and the wider spaced lugs were for the curved tracks to ensure there is no fouling of rolling stock by overhang (particularly those longer coaches). 

Cheers
Bill

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:51:42 AM »
I'm with Alan in that I believe the narrower spacing is for flexible track and the wider is for set track.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Yes one side os for spacing when using set track and one for streamlin points and flexi. I know I have one and used it! There are a really useful little tool.

Offline tgv_obsessed

• N Gauge Society Number: yes
  • 2mm Association Number: no
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
Finally started track laying at the weekend,  have a question about the Peco plastic track gauge tool, the red one.

One side has two lugs marked for from memory 6 feet spacings which look about right, they correspond to the Peco track plan I am using so thats what I have used.  However on the other side there is another pair of spacings which look to be about 10 feet.  I have seen models and real railways set at a wider gauge but was wondering if i should have used the wider spacing on a twin track 12 inch (approx!!) curves that I have laid.   Layout is planned as mainline/heavy freight so big engines and long coaches will be present.

The Peco layout I am using runs Pacific engines and coaches ok, just want to make sure I wont have an issue when I come to run it.  The curve is mainly within a tunnel feeding a fiddle yard.  Dont have any rolling stock yet other than a couple of 16 ton 7 plank wagons.

Have done a search and failed to find anything.

Thanks

A

you are right to be a little concerned

strictly speaking the replies so far are by and large are correct, the spacing gauge tells you the parallel distance for setrack on one side (the larger) and streamline (or finescale) on the other.

you've used streamline spacing, and, some alarm bells have gone off- the longer trains might not pass each other without touching on a twelve inch and thirteen inch double track mainline curve.

one answer is experimentation- which without the relevant rolling stock will be difficult to do

so if you still can, it might well be worth increasing the spacing on the curves- perhaps even to double it at the apex (after all its going to be under a tunnel). streamline spacing is centres an inch apart (well .044 over), which to me seems too narrow for twelve inch curves, but 2 inch spacing and you'll be safe as houses. this could be achieved by starting the curve about an inch further than the inner curve

of course that would mean relying on eyesight rather than the peco gauge, however assuming the curve is 180 degrees, you know that at 90 they need to be 2 inches apart

the only relevant info i could find on this was from a japanese rail forum, where a member had tested passing shinkansens at kato spacing at various double track radii (kato spacing is halfway between peco streamline and setrack). the results were subjective, but the member wouldnt have been happy with a curve less than 315 or 12 and a half inches (at kato spacing)

that makes me think you are right to have little alarm bells sounding. but i also think you might just about get away with it too
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:30:35 PM by tgv_obsessed »
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Offline Alycidon

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
I feared you might say that hence my thread.  Track is finescale flexitrack, code 55.

I guess I ought to buy a few coaches and see how we go,  going to be tricky to get the inner loop back up as I have pinned it with track pins into chipboard so lets hope we are ok.

Thanks for the advice.

A

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »
You only really need two coaches to test out of they pass each other.

And I think you only need to get the outer radius up and move that out a bit to extend its radius.

Good luck... let us know how you get on!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
My minimum curves are 15" where the longest British stock (Mk3 coaches and Cargowaggons) runs OK. 

Most prototype track scales to closer spacing than Peco Streamline, with the exception of some ex-GWR broad gauge lines.  It is possible to reduce this but curves would then need looking at more closely and also a piece of rail would need cutting off each set of points on crossovers.  I wish I'd done this on my layout, as the wide spacing makes it look a bit narrow gauge, and I may change it where it's not too difficult. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:50:17 AM by edwin_m »

Offline Alycidon

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
You only really need two coaches to test out of they pass each other.

And I think you only need to get the outer radius up and move that out a bit to extend its radius.

Good luck... let us know how you get on!

Cant move the outer radius as it it getting close to the board edge, it is also pinned.  From halfway the out radius does open up anyway as it feeds a 3 track fiddle loop.   

Will advise once I get a couple of coaches.

Thanks for your help.

A

Offline Alycidon

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
Well I aquired a few coaches and in one area they just touch.   So I have lifted the inner track and relaid it opening the gap between the tracks a shade.

Thanks for your advice.

A

Offline 16again

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
 :claphappy: i have has the same problem, all i did was to notch one of the streamline spacers midpoint and use that to set the rad an addition of about 0.2" and all works well coaches pass easily and it does not look out of place.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal