!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kimbolted - the layout room  (Read 83820 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Kimbolted - the layout room
« Reply #480 on: February 09, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »
@crewearpley40
Another great link. Thanks for that. If anything it bears out the recent request for a 61xx tank loco as several were based in Oxford. Note that 'Kimbolted' is only loosely based in that area and not actually in Oxford itself.

@themadhippy
The Varsity Line is the main reason for me being able to model the odd ER train but, more importantly, the section between Bedford - Bletchley - Oxford as most of my travelling/spotting was done along that part.

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: February 09, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
be great if east west rail was opened - not going into hs2 - but doing work at bucks railway centre had lots of chats with older people who know  / knew up to calvert, verney junction andthe marston vale section ( bletchley bedford )

blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #482 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »
be great if east west rail was opened
its is,although the time scale is slipping,the milton keynes- oxford section was supposed to open 2 years ago,last year ,this year,2021,now 2023.
https://eastwestrail.co.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »
layout update/pic hopes duly dashed ....  :(

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #484 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
a few more hints .....

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2015/06/oxford-1936-1966.html

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/History.htm

interesting leeds mrshave modelled this .....

http://leedsmrs.org/fairford.html

Thanks for the links, the Fairford branch website was how I originally go into doing the Fairford branch and over the years I've been doing Claywell have actually contributed to the site with additional info.  You can see my attempt at Bampton (Oxon) station on my main layout thread and I can run a timetabled service using the original timetables I have for the branch.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #485 on: February 11, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
thanks its an interesting layout caz and thought people may like
a historical read

will research your layout ashavebeen up since  5 am ( work) and tomorrow is my rest day. it was just to aide the previous  modeller   and  jog memories

chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
Re: Kimbolted - the layout room - Disaster strikes
« Reply #486 on: June 12, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
Disaster has struck at Chez Nobby in that my mancave (conservatory) has sprung a small leak in the roof. It’s small enough to maybe drop an eggcupful of water on the layout in a 24 hour period of pretty intensive rain, which is what we’ve had for the last 2 weeks at least.

I’ve fashioned a protective covering for the layout by taping some widths of fairly thick polythene together so it’s not as if the layout will get wet, but the problem I’ve found in Leyland is finding anyone who even returns telephone calls let alone find someone to talk the problem through with.

“No job too small” says the advert. Yeah, right. When you do actually find someone to speak to they’re generally “too busy at present/can pop round next year” type of response.

I’m not even sure who I should be talking to anyway. If I talk to conservatory people they’re not interested unless I buy a new one. I did speak to the folks who built it in the first place before I moved in to this bungalow.......
“I know it’s out of warranty but do you do conservatory repairs please?”
“Only if you want something like a new roof”

OK, so I may need a new roof rather than get maybe a small length of rubber sealant replaced but, and I don’t know for sure, access would be required from inside the conservatory meaning the layout would need dismantling totally. :worried: :doh:

With the conservatory being an apex roof perhaps a repair could be done using scaffolding or a cherry picker for access. I just don’t know, and am sure a general UPVC type company wouldn’t be interested so what sort of problem solving person should I be seeking? Any help appreciated as I’m seriously depressed at the moment and thinking the leak will only get worse the longer it is left.

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: June 12, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
If it's a very small leak, you might be able to do a temporary repair without too much insanity. From what you've said it sounds like accessibility may be an issue, but we're model railway *engineers*. That means we're sneaky SOBs who can probably think up some sort of Heath Robinson approach that would put sealant in the right place.

Can you post photos of where you think the leak is and area underneath? Might help in thinking up ladder/long stick strategy.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #488 on: June 12, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »
Mick,

Could you not add a lake or a pond to the layout to accommodate the drips ?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:20 PM »

Can you post photos of where you think the leak is and area underneath? Might help in thinking up ladder/long stick strategy.

This 'model railway 'engineer' is 65, gets vertigo stood on a pavement and is shaky on his pins so someone I can pay to do it is the only way forward @zwilnik
Pics as requested (where I have laid kitchen roll is where the water mainly falls).....

Luckily I am so slow working on the layout there is no scenery yet and no locos are kept on the layout

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Right, so my guess (anyone with conservatory building experience can probably guess better ;) ) is that semi-circular end piece is where the leak is originating but with it then dribbling down the inside of the roof, it's a random pattern where the drops will go from there. So a 'water feature' on the layout wouldn't be practical (they're never practical anyway, model railways + real water is usually a recipe for swear words).

It may well be that the water ingress is purely down to the extreme weather, but longer term it sounds like getting someone in to sort the roof is a good plan anyway, but shorter term, protecting the layout and letting you carry on working on it and not worrying about it is something we can probably put our heads together on.

My initial idea, given lack of external work crew availability, low altitude and stability requirements etc. I'm thinking something like this...

Basically an umbrella. The idea is it simply deflects the drops away from the layout to somewhere you can deal with them. As it's pretty much 3 sticks and a 'roof' that can either be hardboard or a polythene covered frame you should be able to assemble it at ground level and fix it to the layout without having to climb on anything :)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
Sympathies Mick.

We had a similar problem in our 'hothouse' that was fixed via scaffolding required during the house repaint. A simple job once access was available. Hope you find someone who can help. A general roofer may be just as good as a plastics 'expert'.

I have previously used a product called Seek and Seal to cure minor leaks. Worked well but not sure if it's still available or suitable for anything beyond a minor problem. The stuff was marketed originally to fix leaks around car windscreens.

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
In the severe flooding of Wollongong in 1998, the creek next to Chez Bealman almost reached our garage door, where the Beal and Castle Eden resides. It didn't, but severe rain 12 months later got in through the roof and did do damage!

Sympathies, Mick. I'd come and help, but I've still in me moonboot  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
Thanks, Guys.
To state the obvious if water is getting in it can only be through the outside somehow so hopefully I can avoid anyone requiring access from inside.

Sympathies Mick.

We had a similar problem in our 'hothouse' that was fixed via scaffolding required during the house repaint. A simple job once access was available. Hope you find someone who can help. A general roofer may be just as good as a plastics 'expert'.

I have previously used a product called Seek and Seal to cure minor leaks. Worked well but not sure if it's still available or suitable for anything beyond a minor problem. The stuff was marketed originally to fix leaks around car windscreens.

Dave G

That's the way I was going, @daveg
There's room to even get a cherry picker round the back if scaffolding presents a problem.
As they say on The Apprentice "the search continues.........."

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
Did you see my p m mick or try the diy store see if they know anybody

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00