!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kimbolted - the layout room  (Read 101617 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Kimbolted - the layout room
« Reply #405 on: September 20, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »
Where do the two outer curves go to Mick, also why not take the track to the cement works off from the mainline further round to the right of  the station, creating a separate junction. The head shunt and the loco shed tracks could then come off the double slip and the head shunt track could be tighter towards the Loco shed lines. This would then avoid the cement traffic going through the slip and near the other lines for the dairy and cattle dock. I take it you have bi directional running on the track and it would be a facing point for one direction for the cement works, thats why I asked about the other two tracks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:20:12 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »
This is a rough idea what I mean.......

It also has the advantage of better running, everything is not going through the one slip, cement traffic can be separate from the other goods traffic.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:35:03 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #407 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
Another idea too Mick, why not have the bay platform where the top station loop is, then have the bottom track as the loop continuing across the bottom. This would also enable you to have a train go round while shunting on the top. At the moment all traffic is using the same piece of track to get to the goods yard the bay platform and the station loop.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:44:10 PM by lil chris, Reason: added pic »
Lil Chris

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
Another idea too Mick, why not have the bay platform where the top station loop is, then have the bottom track as the loop continuing across the bottom. This would also enable you to have a train go round while shunting on the top. At the moment all traffic is using the same piece of track to get to the goods yard the bay platform and the station loop.

Didn't Mick mention that those end curves are 9" Radius Chris? If that's the case, the line running inside that to the cement works on your tweaked design would probably be too sharp (and you'd have difficulty finding a set of points for it).

I'd be tempted to run the line to the cement works through from the hidden fiddle yard diagonally (you could have a road bridge covering the entrance through the back scene) which would separate it from the station and potentially give you more space to play with.

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #409 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
I'm thinking something like this..

I actually kind of like the bay platform being at the bottom as it stops there being straight track directly along the front of the layout and causes the trains to curve around into the station.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #410 on: September 21, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
I like your thinking, although that might take a rather large bite out of the fiddle yard behind the backscene and the curvature may prove to be less than the 9" radius already used on the running lines for the branch. I'll have a play and see.

I actually kind of like the bay platform being at the bottom as it stops there being straight track directly along the front of the layout and causes the trains to curve around into the station.

With so little space, that was my intention as I'm not at all keen on straight track parallel with the baseboard edge so this was a way to get some 'bendy bits' in.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »
I suppose some kind of footbridge will be required to link the platforms?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #412 on: September 21, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »
@Zwilnik @lil chris @Chris in Prague

As I suspected the bi-directional running lines into the fiddle yard are already at 9" radius so I wouldn't want to go any tighter. You will see from the following pic it would completely mess up the fiddle yard if I tried to turn the LHS back on itself to provide tracks to the cement plant.

Likewise, the 9" radius main curves prevent me from looking at feeding the cement plant from the right hand side. Nice thought, though.

Sorry, Chris, but I like the bay platform as it is. OK - if the train needs to proceed eastwards then it will have to emerge to the west and then set off but, from past experience, I know that to be prototypical (I just can't remember where it was ::))
I'm very happy to have a bi directional line with access to the goods yard, loco shed, dairy etc off one line as, after all, it is only a branch line.

CiP - I plan currently to have a footbridge between the 2 platforms and may have to make a pedestrian bridge to access the station building on the topmost platform. It's either that or maybe create an underpass for access :hmmm:

Thanks for your continued interest in this saga.

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #413 on: September 21, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
Is that photo of the fiddle yard? If so then maybe it's worth swapping the dairy and cement works over and running the cement world line as a continuation of the right hand main curve forward through the back scene to a cement works on the left of the layout?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #414 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
Is that photo of the fiddle yard? If so then maybe it's worth swapping the dairy and cement works over and running the cement world line as a continuation of the right hand main curve forward through the back scene to a cement works on the left of the layout?

Sorry - maybe I'm being a bit thick this morning but, yes, it's a pic of the fiddle yard looking down to the LHS at the far end. I can't see how I can possibly take the lines that pass through the backscene anywhere other than where they are as they are already at 9". Surely it would give the same issue as Lil Chris had in that I'd need a tightly curved point to access the cement plant at the LHS just as on the RHS? :dunce:
It would also put the cement plant near the goods yard on the LHS and the dairy/cattle dock and loco shed on the RHS. Cue scared livestock (stampede!!) and dirty parcels :hmmm:
Don't give up on me!

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
Is this diagram of the fiddle yard (in blue) roughly approximate to what you've got?

If so, maybe changing the point marked X (and circled blue in this next pic) to a crossover and running a curve down the middle of the layout to the cement works, which may need to be rotated a bit (possibly adjust the goods head shunt for space?)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
Aha - I see what you're getting at now. Thank you!
That's going to take some thinking about as (a) ideally that point would need to become a single slip which will take up more space and (b) that will mean 3 tracks disappearing under the town's main road - the ones at each end and the one to/from the cement works.
The other problem is the fiddle yards (upper and lower levels) are only accessible by me stooping to get under the layout to the back, and I'm getting no younger or flexible. The more complicated the yard, the more likely trouble will raise its head :hmmm:

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #417 on: September 21, 2016, 01:53:18 PM »
Aha - I see what you're getting at now. Thank you!
That's going to take some thinking about as (a) ideally that point would need to become a single slip which will take up more space and (b) that will mean 3 tracks disappearing under the town's main road - the ones at each end and the one to/from the cement works.
The other problem is the fiddle yards (upper and lower levels) are only accessible by me stooping to get under the layout to the back, and I'm getting no younger or flexible. The more complicated the yard, the more likely trouble will raise its head :hmmm:

That's why I'm thinking a simple crossover might be ideal. You can still park stuff in that siding by running in from the other side and it simplifies it all a bit.

For the cement works one, you could always do it going into a factory/warehouse building as its exit from the scenic area.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: September 21, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »

For the cement works one, you could always do it going into a factory/warehouse building as its exit from the scenic area.

As the main road runs all the way across the layout at a 44mm height (nominal 2"" x 1" timber) the factory/warehouse would have to be at the same level as the cement plant which is no bad idea as it breaks up the scenery side a bit more.
I agree about the crossing and might get away with a small version.
Food for thought.
 :thankyousign:

Edit:- I've printed off the template for the Peco code 55 short crossing SL-E395F and will check space tomorrow

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »

As the main road runs all the way across the layout at a 44mm height (nominal 2"" x 1" timber) the factory/warehouse would have to be at the same level as the cement plant which is no bad idea as it breaks up the scenery side a bit more.
I agree about the crossing and might get away with a small version.
Food for thought.
 :thankyousign:

That's what I was thinking, some sort of warehouse or other building that would be part of the cement works

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal