!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kimbolted - the layout room  (Read 99944 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: Kimbolted - the layout room
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »
Thanks Mick.

Great rake of wagons and some very nice locos. I have two Ixion Manors which I think are my favourites but there again there's the Ns and ......  :)

Glad you're enjoying and sharing your railway despite the lack of third hand.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
Oh Gawd, he's been at the camera again ::)

A class 33 on a Bournemouth to Oxford parcels has just been slowed by a signal check as a Warship proceeds south with a short coal train..........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79rs4ls0e5vlm4i/Farish%2033%20on%20parcels%20with%20Warship%20on%20coal%20freight.MOV?dl=0

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
Thanks for the video. That is a VERY varied collection of parcels stock in a wide variety of liveries from Southern Railway Green to (I think) BR Blue! The individually weathered large coal wagons look very fine. (Were you after another Dapol one as I have 4 differently numbered dark grey ones which is, probably, two too many for a line in Cornwall were they were only used for delivering loco coal?)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: June 21, 2016, 07:41:34 PM »
Parcels trains from this era were great - no two vehicles the same.  You could have a few 10' wheelbase vans in there as well, an ex GW Siphon G, BR CCTs and a couple of six wheelers.  And as Chris says, the weathering on the coal wagons is just right.

Offline keerout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: June 21, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Hi Nobby,
If you are looking for your keys, they are on the layout....  ;)
Nice video, but as with my layout, time for some scenery me boy! (rubber will only get you that far..)
Gerard  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments.
Thanks for the video. That is a VERY varied collection of parcels stock in a wide variety of liveries from Southern Railway Green to (I think) BR Blue! The individually weathered large coal wagons look very fine. (Were you after another Dapol one as I have 4 differently numbered dark grey ones which is, probably, two too many for a line in Cornwall were they were only used for delivering loco coal?)

It is only really thanks to Farish lately that I could put together such a rake. No blue at all, Chris :no:
Farish
LMS Crimson Full Brake weathered
Southern PLV
Southern green bogie luggage van
BR SR green bogie luggage van
BR green GUV
Maunsell Brake
Plus
Dapol Southern green CCT
Dapol BR Southern green CCT

Thanks for the offer of more mineral wagons, but it is the Dapol weathered 21T hoppers once sold by County Rolling Stock that I'm seeking.

Parcels trains from this era were great - no two vehicles the same.  You could have a few 10' wheelbase vans in there as well, an ex GW Siphon G, BR CCTs and a couple of six wheelers.  And as Chris says, the weathering on the coal wagons is just right.

I do have other vehicles I can use. More CCTs, more GUVs, full brakes etc but they were just not to hand at the time.

The Peco mineral wagons were pristine until I asked fellow forum member 'mk1gtstu' to weather them for me and he has, as you say, done a fantastic job.
Further examples of his work can be seen here.............
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.msg377203#msg377203

Nice video, but as with my layout, time for some scenery me boy! (rubber will only get you that far..)
Gerard  :thumbsup:

Therein lies the problem, Gerard. I can't do the scenery until I have done the electrics on the tracks which will involve a lot of soldering and, since my operation, I just don't have the hand control needed for soldering. If it doesn't return in the near future I may have to consider paying someone to do this for me :-\

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: June 21, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Stu, is indeed a master of coal wagon weathering. His look incredibly realistic. I love his boxfile layout.

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #397 on: June 21, 2016, 11:34:37 PM »
Mick if you want any help with the soldering just give me a shout, I will do some for you, I do not want paying just glad to help. I take it you have some decent solder and a iron etc, you are not that far from me, just let me know.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: June 22, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
Are those keys a cryptic clue that you're going to build a quay there :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: June 22, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #400 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
Mick if you want any help with the soldering just give me a shout, I will do some for you, I do not want paying just glad to help. I take it you have some decent solder and a iron etc, you are not that far from me, just let me know.

Thank you so much, Chris.  :pmsign:
@lil chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: August 21, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
I need some help with the planning of the track for my Kimbolted upper level branch line. This is the bit which is cast in stone (not literally) with 9" curves at each end. Imagine where they end on the plan attached is where they disappear into the fiddle yard beyond the backscene.

The area I have left to play with measures 72" between the curves at each end, and 9" between the upper level road which will run along the backscene and a code 55 double slip which will sit just above the upper platform. This will also leave some leeway between the double slip and the bottom of the curves where they enter the station itself.

No doubt I'm trying to fit too much in, but I'd like to model a 2 road loco shed (Lyddle End stone), a goods yard (Lyddle End stone), cattle dock, dairy (Metcalfe) and, if possible a cement works (Walthers Gravel Company kit). These will all come off the double slip and sidings will be required where necessary e.g. the loco shed will need a couple of storage/servicing sidings, the goods yard needs a couple of sidings as does the dairy and the 'cement' works.

The problem I'm finding is what to put next to what. A loco shed next to the goods yard/dairy/cattle dock would just make everything mucky and scare the cattle so maybe it ought to go close to the cement plant on the RHS to also allow a headshunt for what goes on the LHS. That would leave the goods yard alongside the cattle dock and dairy. I just don't think space will allow me to plant the Lyddle End gasholder and works which I have the full set of(or should I junk the cement works and go for the Lyddle End stuff?

What does the team think please as I've been going round in circles with this and getting nowhere despite being able to run trains round the oval and through the station via jury rigged wiring for test purposes, you understand ;)

Just a reminder this is transition era set close to Oxford.

:thankyousign:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: August 21, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Goods yard, cattle dock and dairy would definitely work together and, I think will look ok.  Engine shed on the other side as far from the cattle dock as possible.
I guess ultimately the cement works will take up most room (realistically) so if it were my decision that would go. I'm not sure a. Cement works and dairy would co-exist anyway.
Just my thoughts.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #403 on: August 21, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
I agree. Can't imagine a cement works being located so close to the other facilities you're planning.

Look forward to learning what you decide.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: September 20, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
OK. I've been doing my head inplaying around with SCARM and have come up with the following and, yes, I'd still like the Cement Works as I have a Walthers kit and weathered Presflos :P
The 2 inner long curves disappear under a raised road which runs along the backscene and thus into a fiddle yard behind said backscene.
I still have to find some way the passengers can reach the uppermost platform which will have the main station building as the lower platforms back onto the drop onto the lower level running lines.
As usual I have planned in set track but will use code 55 throughout.
Comments/suggestions welcome, especially if they are sensible ;D

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal