!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A currently unnamed shunting yard  (Read 407 times)

Offline Amplify

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A currently unnamed shunting yard
« on: June 06, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
Hi all

After making my initial introduction thread I've been steadily working away on my little shelf sized shunting yard and wanted to show a few pictures of the progress and ask a quick question before I proceeded.

I don't have a set plan of what I'm going to do for the scenery, but I've a vague idea I'll end up going with something around the 90s / 00s English "rural industrial" style of some description.

Here's the initial track plan I've been working off of:

It's using Atlas brand track, since they're the only ones with the specific X points I needed for this.

-----

The constructed baseboard, I'm considering replacing the rear and left panels with something a little thicker to prevent warping, but for now it is what it is.

-----

White paint for the underside, should let me see what I'm doing for wiring and stuff that much more easily I figure.

-----

The finished paint job. The underside and sides are gloss (the sides have since been further touched up) and the top is three layers of clear matt varnish with two layers of brown emulsion.

-----

A quick placement of the track while I measured up the cork trackbed and stuff while checking for any problems.

-----

Finally, where I'm at currently with the cork trackbed all glued into place.

-----

Now my current major question is about drilling the holes for the PECO underboard point motors. What's the best way to make sure I'm getting the exact right spot for my hole drilling here? What size hole should I be going for here, are we taking about making it a tiny fraction wider than the pin and simply making sure I'm accurate to within a fraction of a millimeter here (1.6mm wide slot) or should I be going a little larger than that and if so how large? I'd like for the end result to be as hidden as reasonably possible under scenery afterwards.

My problem here isn't so much a lack of information, as it is having a bit too much info with no sorting to it and no idea which bit of info is right for my situation. Any advice on this? Thanks for any help.

Offline Amplify

• Awards
Re: A currently unnamed shunting yard
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 05:18:50 PM »
It's been a long while, but time to update this thread!

Here's the track added to the cork bed.

-----

Time for the electrics! This was a pain to do.

-----

If I thought the previous part was annoying to do, this took months to do in comparison. I spent forever adjusting the positions of the point motors and trying to make everything work properly.

-----

Here's the "final" update before it's time to do scenery and stuff, though I could do with a new piece of wood for the backboard as this one doesn't fit as well as I'd hope and it feels like there's nothing I can do to change that.

A big problem though - it turns out that Atlas track isn't actually suitable for running British locomotives on, my Class 37 keeps jumping and juddering on the check rails and at points so I'm going to have to go American. The problem is I know next to nothing about American trains or switching yards at all. I've been recommended the SW1200 and the NW2, but looking at pictures of them I can barely even tell the difference. I've also seen the GE Dash 8, which looks like the sort of locomotive I really like, but I've no idea if it would ever appear in a rail yard like this one.

Can anyone please recommend me a place where I could buy one of those three mentioned trains with fitted DCC, lights and sound, etc? It would be incredibly helpful, I don't  know where to go for American locos and rolling stock.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 07:03:28 AM »
The SW1200 and NW2 are yard switchers. I have a few of them. Especially the american made ones are nice running and considerably heavy and finely detailed. An alternative (earlier decades) could be a GE 44-ton switcher.

Often the americans use road-switchers, especially in yards that see  less switching traffic, where a dedicated switcher would not be used enough. In such a case almost any diesel can be used. But maybe a Bo'Bo (4-4 ??) would look better on a crowded switch yard as opposed to a Co'Co (6-6) road diesel.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:09:01 AM by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
Hi @Amplify very neat work on the build looks excellent.  The first place that springs to mind for US locos is https://www.traintrax.co.uk/kato-gauge-c-29.html get yourself a nice Kato loco. There are other suppliers but I'm not on my home pc so don't have the bookmarks. If you don't find anything suitable from Keith let me know and I'll dig out some more ideas for you

Online NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
I have a sound fitted Rapido GMD-1, for this type of work, and it is a very fine piece of kit. I can recommend it, although I think it might only come in Canadian and Cuban varieties.

Mine came from Rails of Sheffield, but I peruse/get a lot of my N American stuff from N Scale American Trains.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?searchTerm=GMD-1

https://www.nscaleamericantrains.co.uk/en/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=GMD-1&submit_search=Search

PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.

“Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It's the fear of failure, but no urge to be productive. It's wanting friends, but hate socializing. It's wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It's feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.”

We're not crazy, or insane, we're just people living with a condition.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
Plus Daughters always seem to be mentioned US wise.........

http://www.plusdaughters.co.uk

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
Plus Daughters always seem to be mentioned US wise.........

http://www.plusdaughters.co.uk

They have lifehlike SW8 for 45 quids. While as good as the Kato SW12 it is a good price.
The Kato SW12 is something you might have to hunt down second hand.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here