!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Edinburgh St Marys  (Read 12906 times)

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
Re: Edinburgh St Marys
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
Here's a stab at the hidden return to the fiddle yard as suggested by ScottyStitch. I like it!

Since the terminus is now somewhat smaller, and the mainline continues north I'm thinking I'll amend the back-story and move the terminus further south on the Waverley.

Since one of the pluses the through line delivers is long coal trains, which can now 'return' empty I'll probably locate north of Lady Victoria Colliery and south of Millerhill yard. I'm thinking this requires a name change too.

Feedback welcome please.

Cheers
Dave

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
Hi Dave

That's pretty much how I envisaged it. Glad to have helped.

Offline DCCDave

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
A new design and a new name
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »
A new design and a new name

Not a lot of modelling has been done since I last posted, what with building a new kitchen and helping my son relocate to the south west, real life has been consuming all of my time.

Last time I posted Iíd come to the conclusion that a terminus station was limiting my potential to run large goods trains which were the bread and butter of Waverley traffic.  I published a plan which allowed continuous running whilst also preserving a terminus station. Problem was, the more I thought about it the more un-Waverley it seemed as there was nothing similar on the route.

So while I was painting walls and using precious modelling time on other real life tasks I got to thinking about why I wanted a terminal. The idea of a passenger service terminating at a station, of small loco shed and some opportunity for shunting were the appeal. The Waverley route had only one decent sized terminus, Edinburgh Waverley. Any other termini were at the end of the branch lines which radiated from the Waverley route, and those were basic one platform affairs with limited scope. This is why I arrived at a factious second terminus; Edinburgh St Marys.

I got very enthusiastic about Edinburgh St Marys and created a back story to justify its existence and this was the layout I was planning to build. However the fact that it was an urban terminus whereas I preferred to model the wilds of the borders, plus the inability to run scale length freights and passenger trains kept nagging, it just didnít sit right. While Iíve been busy building the fiddle yard, and throughout my imposed break from building a lost my enthusiasm for St Marys and so progress was slow.

I continued to read about Waverley Route stations and it dawned on me that several had terminating trains, but were not terminuses as such. St Boswells was the end of the line for trains from the Duns and Berwick branches, Riccarton Junction received terminating trains from the Border Counties Line and Ridings Junction was the end of the line for the Longholme branch. There are examples of through stations on the Waverley Route with terminating trains, but which also allow the passage of long passenger and freight workings. HmmmmÖ..

For a long while I contemplated a model of Riddings Junction. This has some freight facilities but no engine shed and while the Langholme trains terminate here the fitted goods and express passenger trains passed on through. The surrounding scenery was classic Borders isolation and the only challenge to fitting it all in was the fact that the Longholme branch diverges from the mainline in such a way as to require very wide boards to model it correctly. This was so nearly what I was looking for.

It then dawned on me that I could build a station based on Riddings but with added features to give me the play factor that I wanted. My first change was to assume that the branch joined the mainline out of the scenic area, much like the Kelso branch does at St Boswells. The second change was to move the sidings from behind the platform to the left of the platforms, adding a small loco shed and a (to be honest a much too large) turntable. The layout of this was loosely based on the shed at Galashiels. Next I lifted the idea of a large cattle market from St Boswells.

Thatís it! Through trains, terminating branch trains, a small shed and plenty of shunting opportunity in a Borders scene-scape. All styled after real features from Waverley Route stations without being tied to faithfully reproducing any one. Iíve decided to name her Cruickglen  (which is the name I started with when I first planned a Waverley Route layout). I can feel the enthusiasm coming backÖ..

Cheers
Dave

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
Looking good Dave and really pleased you've got your mojo back, certainly gives lots of operating potential.   :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
Very good to read this, Dave.  :thankyousign: Having been through both threads I really hope that you will now press on with this version and let us all see some of your excellent model locos. running on trains.  :photospleasesign:

Offline DCCDave

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »
It's been a year and a half since I posted, work getting in the way!

Although I got the fiddle yard built I couldn't help thinking that a terminus wasn't really what I wanted, but for months could not decide what I did want.  I know, I know too much thinking and not enough building...

After much reflection a new layout was designed, this time based on a prototype station on the Waverley and so Oickish was born. You can read about it over here

Thanks for your patience

Dave

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal