!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Reading General  (Read 50094 times)

Offline Chetcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Reading General
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2015, 02:53:55 AM »
Wow, big changes afoot. Sorry you will have to take a chainsaw to the layout.

But it sounds like you have a place in Savannah lined up as you have room sizes already measured and the need for a spiral staircase identified. Will you be visiting the Savannah property whilst you are living in the DC area?  If so, maybe you can focus on recreating Reading slowly over the years until retirement?

My layout is at our weekend place in NE Pennsylvania and has stayed there despite a couple of job related house moves. I have brought the odd project back to our weekday home in Philly, although I rarely have any time to do any modeling during the week. Despite only being by the layout for a couple of weekends a month, I have made good progress over the last 4 years! After all, a layout is never 'finished'!

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2015, 03:23:23 AM »
Hi Mike, It's unlikely we will visit the house in Savannah as it will be rented out, paying off the mortgage.  But the modular approach with the final measurements in mind should enable some progress over the next decade while in DC, or wherever work takes me.
p.s., I'm scheduled to become a US citizen in January!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
So sorry to hear of the upheaval in your life, Mark, but I also realise life cannot revolve around railway modelling so I do hope things work out as you have planned them.
Don't be a stranger :no:

P.S. the pic of the condemned Westerns is a little upsetting! :'(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
Looking forward to future developments.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »
Hi , In a way sorry to read of move but I guess it works for you. Now you have the ability to really mimic history. Rebuild as it is today - I have here a big foamboard mounted  track plan used at work to show the phased rebuilding.

This used a bit more than a chainsaw but at least the original station building remains as a pub.  It took around 3 years to rebuild as a 15 platform Behemoth with new and reinstated fly and dive unders to give simplified movements.

This would be a good challenge even for super westerns!

As an aside just added black to a class 22 for a Cornish lines livery. 22056 at this time is the planned number. A large part of class were not scrapped but stored for Cornish rail independence china clay workings!   - It is the only way DB can cope with one 66 in Cornwall for export workings.
Robert   

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
Hi Mike, It's unlikely we will visit the house in Savannah as it will be rented out, paying off the mortgage.  But the modular approach with the final measurements in mind should enable some progress over the next decade while in DC, or wherever work takes me.
p.s., I'm scheduled to become a US citizen in January!

Good to hear you will be able to make some progress. Congrats also on becoming a citizen, I did it 10 years ago and the citizenship ceremony was a surprisingly humbling experience. So I hope you enjoy it as well!

Offline Mustermark

• Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »
Rebuild as it is today - I have here a big foamboard mounted  track plan used at work to show the phased rebuilding.

The thought of buildiing the 1989 and 2014 station additions as removable sections has occurred to me. Let's see if i get the layout done 1970's style before i die and then maybe i will go for it.

And i would love to see a detailed trackplan for all the upgrade. When i went to TINGS i went via Reading and got to see the new station and the huge concrete flyover pillars where Cow Lane used to be. You can hardly recognize it anymore.

p.s. My wife has a bet that the layout will not be finished as i have too many other projects/hobbies...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:15:00 PM by Mustermark »

Offline Mustermark

• Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »
Congrats also on becoming a citizen, I did it 10 years ago and the citizenship ceremony was a surprisingly humbling experience. So I hope you enjoy it as well!

Thanks. We are definitely looking forward to it...

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal