!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: To paint or not to paint..... points???  (Read 4539 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
To paint or not to paint..... points???
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »
Hi Guys
We have a dilemma on Northallerton. We have concrete track and wooden sleeper points (mainly). We want to create something realistic, so should we paint the points concrete colour, as some have done, or leave them, and just weather them the same as the concrete track?
I've included a photo of the real points but it is hard to tell whether they are wooden or concrete because of the photo angle. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Photos would be good too.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
Re: To paint or not to paint..... points???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
Hi Kirky,

Having 'blown up' that image it seems pretty clear from its shape and colour that at least the nearest sleeper on the right-hand track is concrete. It is, as you say, difficult to be sure about the rest though there does seem to be a hint of pre-cast concrete sleeper shape on the right hand side of the sleepers further away on that line.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »
Can't remember but is this layout being designed as "present day"? If so then I'd say paint the points as that photo does suggest the points are all concrete-sleepered  ;)

Concrete sleepers under points have only really been used in the last fifteen years or so and even then usually on mainlines only, quite common to see miles of concrete sleepered track interspersed with wooden-sleepered points even now  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
I think it would be most convincing to have the track as concrete throughout. If you can mask the point rails and blades, e.g. With tape or blu-tak, you should be able to spray them concrete before weathering without too much trouble.

I assume the weathering will be various shades of dirt, and not a complete coat, i.e. some of the sleeper colour will come through. The weathering will look different on top of grey or brown, so it should be worth the extra effort for it to be consistent.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi guys
Thanks for the interest and replies, always appreciated.
Trev; it might be concrete, it might not. I've looked again, and I have the privilege of loads of other photos in raw format to look at, but I still can't tell! Looking on google earth doesn't really help either, it's just too grainy.
Paul; yes it is present day, well 2000s onwards.
Mark; this is my inclination too. Paint the sleepers and weather afterwards, it remains to be seen how well we weather it all!
Cheers
From a rather wobbly Kirky, I've just pranged the car..... Not too bad For the car, but stil a bit scary for me....  And Mrs K.

Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Mustermark

• N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
Wobbly, but uninjured i hope!

That's the main thing. They can fix cars. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »
Yes, we're both fine thanks, just a little shaken. 'twas my own stoop idiots really, trying to make gap that wasn't there, managed to stop not quite shy of a bollard, made some contact but most damage seems to be to the tyre - big chunk of rubber missing.

My pride of course is very badly bruised.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline RichardBattersby

• N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Hope you're feeling a bit better now, I know what it's like to be in an accident, not nice however small.
Just to echo what Sprintex was saying. From Potters Bar to London Kings Cross most of the point sleepers on the ECML are wooden. I notice this the other week and forgot to post about it - I was rather surprised! So I'd say leave the wood and weather all the same.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Paul B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
I stand at Swindon station 5 days a week, and there are three lines running through between platforms 3 and 4 (one up, one down and one middle) - and I have noticed that one line has concrete sleepers, one has metal and one has wooden... 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:10:08 PM by Paul B »
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
Hope you and Mrs Kirky are OK. Pride and the car can be soon mended :wave:

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »
Hi Kirky, hope you have both recovered.

Some thoughts regarding the points . . .

Why not compare the effect of painting the sleepers concrete on one point only and leaving another point as wooden (with weathering in both cases)

You could leave the points as wooden and state that a phase of Network Rail's track maintenance programme has yet to reach Northallerton.

If you painted the sleepers concrete, would it bug you that they were a different profile to wooden sleepers.

If you didn't paint the sleepers concrete, would you be thinking 'if only we had done it' several weeks down the line.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
Hi guys
Many thanks for the kind words regarding the accident. I'm ok and mrs k is in full nag mode, so she must be fine. Looks like its gonna be yet another night where I don't manage to avoid alcohol! :beers:

Back to the point(s) ....

Pendy, you are exactly right, it would bug me to death that the wooden sleepers were the wrong profile and have a wood grain effect. And also if we don't do it, how bad will it look?
I suppose the consensus would be to try it out on a spare point and a bit of track.

I'll get onto it.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline edwin_m

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »
Concrete bearers (this is the official name) under switches and crossings do have a different profile from that of normal sleepers on plain line.  They are much more like simple planks with no dip between the rails.  However they do not have a woodgrain effect and if that shows through then I think it will just look wrong.  Maybe you should rub some filler over the sleepers to see if that smooths them out? 

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »
Thanks for that Edwin, that's very useful info, and a good idea about 'filling' the sleepers.

Cheers
Kirky

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »
If you've used Peco points then the points will have moulded 'wooden' sleepers and they won't match the (profile and look) of their moulded 'concrete' sleepered track so why try and paint them to look the same - they'll still be different in look as well as colour.

Therefore, accept the difference and model it accordingly - at least it won't 'look' unrealistic as there is a lot or real tracks with woodedn sleepered points and concrete sleepered main track. Just weather them (a light coat of grime) both together (along with the ballast as that gets dirtly as well).

H.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £60.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal