Fitting handrails to painted locos

Started by Bob G, January 15, 2023, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

This is a philosophical problem really.

When I do a steam loco, I fit the handrails and then spray them with primer and black aerosol (usually).

I am building a couple of Bullied Booster locos (class 70 before that class number was stolen for an even uglier loco) and they have cab handrail knobs (32 brass knobs actually) and chrome handrails.

So I want to use the original chrome finish on the handrail wire, rather than fit them and then paint silver over primer and loco green, or even scraping that paint off to reveal the wire.

Am I going to make a mess trying to fit them and glue them after I have sprayed the loco? I usually glue them with super glue liquid (not gel) and that has a tendency to run everywhere.

What a dilemma to have!

Bob

chrism

I recently had my very first try at putting handrails on locos (my FR Baltics), just along the boiler and (argh) around the smokebox front and it turned out reasonably well although I have then painted them.

I found the best way to glue the knobs in was by using an offcut of the handrail wire to pick up a little superglue and carefully wipe it around the inside of the holes.
Similarly to glue the handrails to the knobs, I put the handrail wire in the knobs then added a tiny bit of superglue on the less visible side of the rail (in my case the bottom) close to each knob and allowed it to wick along the handrail into the hole.

Southerngooner

I'm going to use my usual method of making the knobs from fuse wire, which is of course silver. I think I will put mine in after, as I usually secure them on the inside with a drop of superglue, or maybe in this case PVA. I hope to get some paint this week so I can move mine on a bit.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

martyn

I've not seen the model yet, but is it feasible to add the knobs after painting the body and gluing the knobs on the inside? I'd put a drop of glue on a small screwdriver and then dab it on the protruding bit of the knob inside the body

I think this is what Dave's idea is, but I'm not sure.

Martyn

Southerngooner

Yep, my plan entirely! It's what I always do with handrails, so you don't get glue on the body. A tiny, tiny, dab around the knob/handrail join with a pinhead usually works to fix the rail in place.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Dalteth

As long as the initial coats of paint are sufficiently thin, I think painting chrome after the other coats would be the best way to go.

Gluing after has a number of thing that could go wrong. It 'might' work, but would certainly be tricky.

I wouldn't go for scraping, I think it has a high potential to have a poor finish, and potential to damage surrounding areas while doing it.

Just my two pennies worth!  :)

Bob G

Perhaps my question was not as philosophical as it seemed.

I'm going to think this over.

east anglian

If  you  used  the  correct  size   drill  there   is  no   need   to   use   any   glue,  on  my   models  I  only  glue  the  first  two  which  are   normaly   on   the   smokebox  and  the   last   two  that  is   just   in  front  of   the   cab,  the   two   in   front   of   the   cab  can   be   glued  from  the   inside  and    if  any   glue  shown   on   the   smokebox   the   matt   black  normaly   hides  the   snot,  I  also  use  a   piece  of   handrail   wire  to   place   the   glue  into  the   hole,  when  the   model   is   given  the   final   coat  of   varnish  the  remaining  handrails  that
  are   not   glued  will    stay   in   position

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations