Scarcity of Second Hand N at Shows

Started by jmupton2000, January 14, 2023, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kettle

The Berkshire Area Group has an open day On the 8th April 2023 where will have a second hand sales table, come along and pick up a bargin!!
https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/24459-BerkshireAreaGroupNGaugeSociety_OpenDay

GAD

When I die there will be hundreds of locos and thousands of pieces of rolling stock for my family to sell. The reason why I have so much 'stuff' is that I've modelled in N since 1974 and given the small size of each item, storage space is easy enough to accommodate in my railway room.

The easiest way for them to get rid of all the stock, short of taking it to the tip, will be to contact a box shifter to pay peanuts and take it away.

Newportnobby

@GAD Lesser quantities but I'm in the same position as you. Mind you, it's stipulated in my will any proceeds from the sale of my stock are to go to Help For Heroes

Portpatrick

Quote from: Kettle on January 18, 2023, 10:57:10 AM
The Berkshire Area Group has an open day On the 8th April 2023 where will have a second hand sales table, come along and pick up a bargin!!
https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/24459-BerkshireAreaGroupNGaugeSociety_OpenDay

In the diary.  Picked up leaflet at Maidenhead

Newportnobby

@GAD I haven't told any beneficiaries what's in my will as I might find myself being bumped off :worried:
It is stipulated in my will what happens to my N gauge stuff and, I know the subject is morbid, but I would urge folks to consider what they would want to happen in these uncertain times, especially if there is no one to leave such things to.

Dickydcc

Given the value, wise words. Something I should think about.

Bonnyman750

My wife and I have discussed this issue WRT my railway collection and based on that I have formulated a database of all items owned with catalogue numbers, price paid and description. She has been with me all the way and fully understands what each item is potentially worth should I expire before her and won't be scammed by dealers. She is also fully aware of the total cost of the layout and collection so far and is fully supportive of all my hobbies.
The database has also allowed me to know which stock I have multiples of and, therefore which ones are potentially sale worthy...
Glyn

Dickydcc

Good idea, herself could help put the inventory together

Foxhound

Quote from: Bonnyman750 on January 21, 2023, 02:38:51 PM
My wife and I have discussed this issue WRT my railway collection and based on that I have formulated a database of all items owned with catalogue numbers, price paid and description. She has been with me all the way and fully understands what each item is potentially worth should I expire before her and won't be scammed by dealers. She is also fully aware of the total cost of the layout and collection so far and is fully supportive of all my hobbies.
The database has also allowed me to know which stock I have multiples of and, therefore which ones are potentially sale worthy...
Glyn

I have a spreadsheet too - my good lady spends half her working life up to her neck in Excel - and its purpose is not only to enable me to keep track of what I have but also what I would like. That's handy for birthdays and Christmas...
I ought to add the values at some point.
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

ntpntpntp

I started off with an Excel spreadsheet at first but created an Access database in the end, with a small scanned image and the item details.  I also use it to create a label for the box with the inventory number and image, which makes it easier to see what's in the loco storage cases when the boxes are packed on their sides, or I can place the labels for rolling stock in the bottom of the tray so I know what lives where when packing up after a show :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Greygreaser

Been into our local 'Model Railway emporium' yesterday and there's 'bugger all' on the N gauge used display. Mostly Kato track and unpopular paint? How is that specifically N gauge? Several modern outline locos both diesel and electric all DCC and some with sound.
I like to pick up obscure buildings and wagons which i can happily butcher into something useful or bits of scenery and materials 'left over' from a layout - nothing!

Chatted to the proprietor who reckons Covid lockdown has spurred on the model railway scene and those with restricted space have chosen N over 00, bringing more people into the N-et  :hmmm:
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations