!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco above board point motors  (Read 3942 times)

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • Awards
Peco above board point motors
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
Hi,

I've been thinking of using the above board point motors in my fiddle yard, where I'm also using setrack points to save space.

anything I should be aware of with using these motors ?

cheers

alan
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
Re: Peco above board point motors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
I'm looking to do the same at some point.
The only thing i've read about using them on n track is that you have to trim the locating tabs as the motors are supposed to be for that other gauge that modellers seem to like a lot.
If i can source some at a price point Im willing to pay, I'll  probably scrap the  existing underboard ones in the fiddle yard.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
I used them on Ives Yard without needing to trim them (they were actually in the visible part of the layout, suitably disguised with bushes/gravel etc.)

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
thank you both for your replies.

I just spoke to the peco tech advice bureau and the guy there said that the main thing is to pack the point up / set the motor in by 2mm, so the operating arm will connect firmly with the point arm.

his other commment was that even with setrack the point motor is too wide to mount between two tracks, and triming the locating points may result in the motor body fouling stock on the next track.

sounds like a bit of trialling needs to be done.

his advice was to mount to the outside of the track where it will not foul stock.

Zwilnik, did you have any fouling probs with yours ?

cheers

alan

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »
I didn't have any fouling problems but they were on straightforward settrack points and with the way the track/motors were set into the board I was able to make sure they were well connected. Also, as they're only used as points in a simple ladder yard they're both on the 'outside' so not between 2 sets of track.

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Hi Zwilnik,

cheers for that.
I've got two tracks entering the yard, and the sidings fanning out from them, so I have two points which have their straight sides facing each other, which is where the clearance problem occurs, as I've got two points forming a crossover just before the fan starts.

looks like I'll either have to fit a short length of track between them to give a wider spacing between the tracks, or find another way to get the same result.

back to the drawing board, methinks.

cheers

alan

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
If it's for the fiddle yard (so scenery isn't an issue) and your main issue is not wanting to put point motors under the board, you can do the same as I did for the rest of the points on Ive's yard and mount underboard point motors on top of the board to the edge and run connecting rods (piano wire) to the points. It's very easy to do and they're fairly easy to maintain like that. Ideally you need an omega loop in the wire to act as a spring buffer in case a wheel is stopping the point from moving as you actuate it but it's basically just a case of wire bending :)

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
You can see them to the top left (and one at bottom left) of the boards in the overview shot of Ives Yard in this thread

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54.15

The control rods run from the motors at the edge of the board through to the points on both the non scenic and the scenic side of the board. The Peco top mount motors run the 2 sets of points for the yard itself in the bottom right. (there's also an underboard type points motor mounted above the board inside a water tower  for a set of points near the bridge).

As the whole layout was designed to sit on top of my desk I couldn't have anything sticking out of the bottom, so all motors had to be surface mounted.

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
Now that is an interesting idea.

I was just out in the shed trying to see if I could use some extension pieces that came, IIRC, with some point mountings, I think to extend the throw beneath another track, but your idea of mounting the motors at the rear of the board would also let me use the motor switch on top of the motor to power LEDs to indicate the set of the points as well which of course the above board motors can't.

time for another play technical trial  :evil:

cheers

alan

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I've had a go in my fiddle yard in quite tight spaces with no problems and found the mechanisms to be very reliable.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
Attached a picture of one of my fiddle yard point motors. I have used a cable clip to stop the arm "jumping" out when connected to the point.

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal