New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: No Fantastic Modelling Here.  (Read 3089 times)

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
No Fantastic Modelling Here.
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:52 AM »
But by crikey have I had a whole lot of enjoyment building my own bodies to fit on American mechanisms and they run like a Swiss Watch.

Just a few pictures of my weird contraptions with another two still to be built, there is no doubt that mucking around with styrene sheet has added another dimension to this great hobby, this is what I have done so far.

They are not wonderful and thankfully my eyesight is not what it used to be but I am happy with them.

Photos Moved further down thread
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:21:33 AM by oldrailbug »
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: No Fantastic Modelling Here.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
Hi Dave,

Superb modelling!  This is what it's all about to me, something original, and I love you loco bodies and crisp painting.   :thumbsup:

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
Certainly wont find anything like that on the shelves, I think it is great that you are doing something different Dave  :thumbsup:

Offline cupoftea

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Hi Dave

A model does not have to deadly accurate to capture the 'feel' of the original. In my model aircraft days I saw some amazingly detailed and accurate models that looked like just that - a very detailed model. But they had lost something in being too 'clinical' and sometimes a less accurate model somehow captured the 'feel' (or whatever it is) of the original and looked far more convincing as a result.

It is great to see imagination used to produce something different from the average - nice work Sir.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
Hi Dave,

Superb modelling!  This is what it's all about to me, something original, and I love you loco bodies and crisp painting.   :thumbsup:

Hi there Tank and thank you for looking and the kind remarks, I guess I posted these pictures to early as the locos are not really finished, I have to fit Horns and also buffer beams that will be painted red.
Lousy pictures to because I was to lazy to set the camera up on a tripod and take decent shots of the locos, instead used a flash that I never do.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
Hi Dave

A model does not have to deadly accurate to capture the 'feel' of the original. In my model aircraft days I saw some amazingly detailed and accurate models that looked like just that - a very detailed model. But they had lost something in being too 'clinical' and sometimes a less accurate model somehow captured the 'feel' (or whatever it is) of the original and looked far more convincing as a result.

It is great to see imagination used to produce something different from the average - nice work Sir.

Thanks very much for your comments and for looking it is most appreciated, I guess I could be called a non- conformist because I guy things that are not popular and model things that no one else models but it is fun to be different and do your own thing.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
I totally agree ORB.  I usually end up painting models or making them from scratch, as it's all part of the fun.  One thing I can't abide is wiring....so I think I'll be buying Kato track for my next layout.  A shame, as I wanted to do 2mm Code 40, but I just don't have the time. :-\

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »
New set of Photos.

Removed
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:12:18 AM by oldrailbug »
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline cupoftea

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
Very nice Dave - please keep posting photos.

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
Excellent modelling.

Do you have a backstory for your engines and layout Dave? They have a hint of heavily industrial style design that hints of some of the Soviet/Eastern European styles of 'basic and functional, sod the driver' and with the ZMR and PKP logos I'd guess at the layout being based in a country that tries to use up the rest of the alphabet in its spelling :)

Also, have you tried playing with Milliput in your designs? It could be a good way of trying some different styles of shapes (without too much fiddling) if ZMR ever had a streamliner for instance.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:54:11 AM »
Very nice Dave - please keep posting photos.

Thank you for looking I appreciate it very much.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »
Excellent modelling.

Do you have a backstory for your engines and layout Dave? They have a hint of heavily industrial style design that hints of some of the Soviet/Eastern European styles of 'basic and functional, sod the driver' and with the ZMR and PKP logos I'd guess at the layout being based in a country that tries to use up the rest of the alphabet in its spelling :)

Also, have you tried playing with Milliput in your designs? It could be a good way of trying some different styles of shapes (without too much fiddling) if ZMR ever had a streamliner for instance.

Thank you very much Zwilnik I appreciate your comments, you guessed it I am trying for that Eastern European look where locos did not have to look pretty and just did the job.

I am trying to get a Polish feel for the layout but of course the locos are not anything like Polish models, I like the idea of modelling the period after the Wall came down and the Russians returned to Russia, poor Infrastructure was a problem that in some cases still applies today.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:12:51 AM by oldrailbug »
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:14:02 AM »
Gave all my locos to my Grandson, will be modelling British from now on, its in my blood like a disease and I cant shake it off.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
I bet he'll be chuffed ( ::)) with all of those!  Will he be paying you back with 6 months of gardening?!   ;D

Offline cloughie

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
that had better be british steam Dave or I`ll will come over there and slap your legs for you :smiley-laughing: :wave: :thumbsup:
cloughie
am I there yet

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything