Repainted Virgin Dapol 220 Voyager

Started by guest2, March 18, 2011, 08:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

What do you think of my repaint  of this Dapol Class 220 Voyager - which was in Virgin livery?  It's not finished yet, but it's getting there.  Hopefully by tomorrow it'll be finished.   :)  I've used Electra vinyls and numerous Railmatch paints to turn it into a Class 222 in late Revised Network SouthEast livery.

As requested, how did I do it?

Well, I made sure all of the body work and roofs were clean by giving them a wipe down, and then drying them off - make sure no fibres get caught around the roof details.

I then used Railmatch Universal Primer and hand painted it all over the roof, covering over the edges of the roof (you can be messy here as the vinyl's cover mistakes).  :)

You'll also see that I painted the ends in primer, and part of the cab ends.

Once dry I applied the vinyls.  Adam (Electra) can now make these already cut out, and even had spaces for steps on the 220 to pass through.  I did find the decals hard to fit around the original doorways, as the decals didn't want to stick at first, and the same problem at the font end of the cabs.

I then painted the majority of the primed area in Railmatch Silver White (RM240), which is the same used on the Wessex.  I had to apply two coats of this to cover the ridges on the roof, without dark patches still showing through.  I also painted the edges of the cut vinyl's, as they are white and would stick out otherise.

Again, once dry I painted the cab ends yellow, and added the yellow paint to the wheel axles that some NSE diesels used to have.   ;)  

All that's left is to add an NSE flash to each cab end, and to paint the carriage ends in Silver White, plus details on the electrical boxes.

I'm very happy with how it's turned out, and wish to thank Adam for his superbly cut vinyl's and artwork. :thumbsup:

michael

even speaking as a true northener, I really like that!

Adam1701D

Although the vinyls are mine, seeing the finished (almost) on a proper train is incredible. Well done, that man!!
:Class91:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Tank

Thanks everyone...... and well done to you too Adam.  The vinyls are superb, and the cut outs for the steps are brilliant!

findus

That looks amazing. looks so much better than the normal colour. what others have you done? i would love to repaint but scared i would mess up  :-[

michael

just buy something cheep and have a go, thats how I got started, its really not that hard

Tank

Cheers findus.  I'm sure you'd be alright.  Just start on something 'easy' like an old diesel - Farish Poole are good, as less bumpy bits!   ;D  They're good practice to paint on or apply transfers/vinyls.  Most of my trains are packed away, as I haven't got room to get them out.  I've also done an Intercity 125 in NSE, Class 37 (RNSE), Class 58 (made using two Class 20's nose to nose - in RNSE), Class 08's (Original and Revised NSE), Class 31 (Lima, looks terrible!), Queen Mary Brake Van (scratch built), 4CIG, MLV's......all I can think of.

Lawrence

REFaust

That looks awesome. At the risk of being cheeky any chance of a step-by-step guide to how you did it? I mean especially the painting preparation before the vinyls went on.

R E Faust

:Class31:

Tank

No problem REFaust.  I've got some earlier pictures to upload, then I'll do it. :thumbsup:

Chris

NSE certainly does suit the Voyager. Great work both of you  :thumbsup:

REFaust

Quote from: Chris on March 19, 2011, 09:09:50 PM
NSE certainly does suit the Voyager. Great work both of you  :thumbsup:

Yeh that revised NSE with the darker blue is freaking awesome.. I may just have to add a few items of stock to my roster lol

R E Faust

REFaust

Quote from: Tank on March 19, 2011, 03:15:03 PM
No problem REFaust.  I've got some earlier pictures to upload, then I'll do it. :thumbsup:

Great, can't wait to see it. I have a VBA in RTC which is going to be my first venture into vinyls courtesy of Capt Electra, to match the new mk1's from Modelzone. Although it's much simpler any tips will be very useful.

R E Faust

Tank

I PM'd you yesterday telling you that I'd updated the above....didn't you get it?!   ???   ;D  Make sure you post pictures of your new projects. :beers:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations