!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New layout  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Rob H

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Out !!
    • Awards
New layout
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:16:44 AM »
Hi again,

I'm about to start my first ever N gauge - with many thanks to Mike, m1racleman, for drawing a detailed track plan - which is based on http://www.scenicmodelrailways.com/layoutbillysngauge.html

I have the baseboard ready and about to start laying the track but am a bit stumped on how to make the inclines.

1) how do I work out where to start the inclines.

2) what material do I use to lay the track onto, on the inclines.

3) do I use blocks of wood to support the inclined track.

Any help would be appreciated,

Rob.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:33:07 AM by robmag »
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

Offline barkfast

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: New layout
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
Most people make inclines from ply (6mm or thicker) supported with softwood (pine) cut to length. I have used PVA to glue supports directly to a flat board in the past.

Try to make your incline as gentle as possible - 3.5% gradient would be max (use the formula: gradient (%) = height / length) - 2% is generally regarded as ideal but few people have the space.

If your incline has a curve avoid radius 1 curves (9inch).

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
General rule of thumb for gradients is 1:30 on the straight, that means for every 30cm of track you can raise it 1 cm (you can replace the cm for inches if you wish, just keep the ratio the same) and 1:40 on a curve, as barkfast said keep your incline curves as sweeping as possible, the tighter they are the more trouble locos will have negotiating them and they look rubbish too  :smiley-laughing:

The smoother you can make your incline the better, if you have the room to stretch it out, do it, it will look better and be kinder to your locos.

Try not to start or finish a gradient near a point, try and give yourself a good few inches of track on the flat before hitting a point, and try and get the transition from flat to incline as smooth as possible by sanding the edge of your wood to a long point or use heavy card (an old shoe box or similar) to shim under the track and take it down gently.

Offline H

• grahamehedges
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Unless you're building the Pepsi 'Big One' dipper than ask yourself are the gradients really necessary. Real railways go out of their way to keep track as level as possible by building cuttings and embankments. They even go round hills and mountains to avoid tunneling, which is costly and dangrerous, and keep the track flat. In general the steepest bits of real main line track is far gentler than 1 in 30. It's the land that rises and falls around the track, not the other way around. Having a bit of track just rising steeply up in to the air on its own, without any rhyme or reason, will not look realsitic and is very likely to only be a recipe for disaster when you come to running model trains.

H.

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »
I see members are quoting gradients of 1:30, and by looking at the page of Billys N Gauge the gradient must be more than 1:30, I my self am looking at having my track go up an incline, but if its not going to be possible for my layout then I shall replan.

I see Ecclesbourne Valley Railway has a gradient of 1:27, not sure if there are any other larger gradients in the UK.
Geoff

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:34 AM »
70mmHello,I've just registered on this forum so although I have lurked on others without ever contributing,I would like to offer my experiences in building the inclines on my layout.I made the trackbed from 6mm plywood.The raised area is at a height of 2.75 inches or approximately 70mm.
As my layout is 9.5ft x 4ft with 2 end sections of the baseboards being 4ft x 2ft the middle sections are 5ft 6 inches which leaves me plenty of room to create an incline.
However,realistically,I only had about 4ft 6inches to begin and end the slope.
My inclines,are about 4ft in length and go up about 70mm.
As my layout is BR Blue era,most of my stock conaiata of diesel loco's and a couple of dmu's,one of which is a 4 car set.
None of the loco's struggle with long trains of 8 coach or 20 wagon lengths but the 3car dmu does.
Anyway,just thought I'd add my experiences as a first timer.
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
Hiya Pete Mc  welcome to the board.
Everybodies tips/ advice/ideas is welcome here and youve added some good advice already
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
Thanks,its nice to know that my fumbling has helped.
I am new to layout building but not to this wonderful hobby of ours
It is quite theraputic but sometimes frustrating at times,but at the end of the day,you have something to show for your efforts,unlike other things.
This week I've been off work,holidays,but one thing I've been putting off is learning how to solder.As I had bought 8 seep point motors,a soldering iron and various other tools for the job,I had a go and surprised myself.I soldered all 8 motors in one session and fitted them later.
What surprised me was how much of a pain seep motors are to fit.Now my boards are 6mm ply,should've gone for 9mm but whats done is done,to secure the motors,I've had to drill 3mm holes and use m3 nuts and bolts.
Now this may not work for some but as it is on the raised section I had no chouce really cos peco motors would've created a clearance problem.
So now,as I have learned to solder,I can crack on with other stuff such as solder the track to copper clad pcb at the board joins and droppers for each board.
Hope I haven't bored anyone with my musings,I should start my own thread but don't really have an awful lot of time for it and I'm rubbish with computers as well.
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal