!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bournemouth to Weymouth (South Coast Railways), By Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith Review  (Read 822 times)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Bournemouth to Weymouth (South Coast Railways), By Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith

Book Review: A photo of Blackmore Vale and 2-6-2T with Swanage coaches adorns the cover of this book which describes the passenger line from Bournemouth to Weymouth as well as some of various industry railways and sidings.

Vic Mitchell's books have a common format starting with the geographical setting, historical background and a description of the train services before discussing each line and the stations on it (with many early pictures and maps). There are plenty of timetables, maps, images of tickets, railway company notices etc. The books are reliant on old photographs being available and when a station appears in more than one book, the authors endeavour to put different pictures. They are a must for anyone planning to model specific places.

Starting at Bournemouth, where there are some very early pictures of the station. Originally known as Bournemouth East, it had been designed to give the impression of  'Winter Garden'. There are plenty of pictures of the engine shed complete with
steamers and there is also a picture of the 'new 5 car Wessex Electrics' in toothpaste livery.

Meyrick Park halt is featured next, followed by Works Junction and a 1909 map showing the route of the Bournemouth Gas & Water Works Co narrow gauge tramway. Branksome and Parkstone follow, with a map showing a mineral tramway running south of the station to South Western Pottery. a photo of a shunter on the pottery line and descriptions of the gas works sidings. There is a photo of a 2-6-0 at the bottom of the sharp descent from Parkstone - which is still a troublesome area for freight trains breaking down (which, as a regular commuter on this line, caused me grief!)

Poole is up next, with a striking image of the goods yard and there are also pictures of the new station under construction. There is a short section on the tramway to Poole Quay and an extract from the 1921 Poole Tramway rule book.

Moving back to the main line, Holes Bay junction is reviewed before Hamworthy Junction is reached. The line to Hamworthy Goods and the docks is documented with maps and photographs.

The section on Holton Heath contains a two page map of the cordite works where storage bunkers were served by a 2' 6" narrow gauge railway. Wareham, Worgret Junction, Wool are up next before a short section on Winfrith Heath trailing sidings.

Following Moreton, there is a lengthy section on Dorchester South showing the loco depots and the remodelling of the station. There is also a picture of the 'new' class 442 units on trial in the station.

Going past the junction to Dorchester West, there are features on Monkton and Came Halt, a striking picture of a DMU emerging from Bincombe tunnel before reaching Upwey Wishing Well Halt, Upwey Junction and Radipole Halt.

The book concludes with Weymouth Shed and Weymouth itself.

The Swanage line is not included, it is the subject of another book.

All of Middleton Press books are in black and white and the link below is to the Middleton Press website

http://www.middletonpress.co.uk/

ISBN: 978 0 906520 57 4

Score: 5
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
A very thorough review - thanks!

This line always interested me, particulary during the 33+TC push-pull era. Pity about the vandali...., sorry track rationalisation and singling that occurred (mind you the service has increased since then, despite the single track).

Weymouth was one of my preferred SR-meets-WR locations for a layout, before I plumped for Salisbury (Yeovil was the other).
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Thanks Tadpole for your comments. I will be reviewing the 'Fareham to Salisbury' book in a couple of weeks time when I get to F in my late father's collection of Railway books.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal