!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Terrier  (Read 17032 times)

Offline macwales

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Terrier
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Hi

I have just read this thread. I have the Martello Terrier and I loved it from the start. Its tiny size and exquisite detail draws a lot of comments.

After some half hour either way running in it emerged to be a bit of a stuttery runner and stalled on points if going slow. It was particularly poor after being left for a few days but improved as it warmed up. It was not a good puller failing to pull two coaches up my only incline.

I then read a few posts on N Gauge Forum and decided to give a few of my Dapol steam locos some extensive running in. The Martello was given a wheel clean (I found the backs of the wheels were dirty) and the gears oiled and then it was run round a loop for several hours at a moderate speed. Then what a difference, the running was much improved and so was the pulling power.

My Martello will now push twelve coal wagons and pull ten. I usually run this coal train behind my Dapol Q1 which struggles with it round the radius 1 bends on that loop but with the Terrier as a banker at the back I can achieve great smooth slow running. I have to imagine an incline as this loop is flat!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

I love my Terrier and might get another.

Cheers

Mac
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:50:06 PM by macwales, Reason: Added photo »

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Hi

I have just read this thread. I have the Martello Terrier and I loved it from the start. Its tiny size and exquisite detail draws a lot of comments.

After some half hour either way running in it emerged to be a bit of a stuttery runner and stalled on points if going slow. It was particularly poor after being left for a few days but improved as it warmed up. It was not a good puller failing to pull two coaches up my only incline.

I then read a few posts on N Gauge Forum and decided to give a few of my Dapol steam locos some extensive running in. The Martello was given a wheel clean (I found the backs of the wheels were dirty) and the gears oiled and then it was run round a loop for several hours at a moderate speed. Then what a difference, the running was much improved and so was the pulling power.

My Martello will now push twelve coal wagons and pull ten. I usually run this coal train behind my Dapol Q1 which struggles with it round the radius 1 bends on that loop but with the Terrier as a banker at the back I can achieve great smooth slow running. I have to imagine an incline as this loop is flat!

I love my Terrier and might get another.

Cheers

Mac
That's great to hear! It does seem dapol motors need a good amount of running in time to smooth out and quiet them down, once done though they pull forever!

Offline Brinley

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
I love mine, it is a smooth runner. 

Offline WD75105walkden

• Spa Valley loco crew - Apprentice for Southern
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Just stumbled across this thread on the interwebs, and thought I'd post something about them too!

My example, the recently released exclusive for Modellbahnunion, of Stepney as she runs currently, is completely brilliant! She's only had about 5 mins worth of running, and that was just back and forth on a bit of track. I was so impressed that I've sinned and preordered the new Southern one 2659 Cheam, from Kernow.

Stepney just after arrival when I got her back in September.

Nathan

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
Terriers are my favourite locos. I also got an MBU one in September which developed a wobble but that was quickly replaced under guarantee and the replacement which was a bit noisy, is now running beautifully.

Dapol have earned loads of brownie points as far as I'm concerned for producing such a delightful loco, I never thought I would ever see an N gauge Terrier.

:NGaugeForum:

Offline d-a-n

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
Just seen Kernow's Southern Maunsell green version and I want one! What would be a prototype rake of wagons/coaches for one of these or would they only have shunted?

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 02:29:03 PM »
 :hellosign:
So I've just gotten my Dapol Terrier (83, Earlswood) in the mail! I've made a video review of it where I take a good long look at it (including the oiling and running-in). It's a little long but hopefully anyone thinking about buying one will find it helpful. :D

http://youtu.be/sZjZoqzM1WQ

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:31:06 PM by N-Gauge-US, Reason: (Fixed embedding) me=n00b »
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline d-a-n

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
My Terrier turned out to not be such a great runner, it got very jerky and now it's stopped running. Anything I can look for on this model? I now have to wait until Monday before it can go back to Arcadia.

*EDIT* I didn't dare opening this model up to take a look into it - it seemed a bit too fragile to do so. Tim at Arcadia was very helpful in looking for a new one but ultimately we were unlucky as they all seem to have sold out. He kindly part ex'd it against a lovely new N class....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:23:25 PM by d-a-n »

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
Hi Dan,
Two of my Terriers did the same; turned out to be wheel-blackening residue that gathered on the(tiny) pickups.
Try cleaning the back of the wheelrims and try with a bit of paper between wheels and pickups, see if it helps  ;)
I love them, but keeping them clean is critical fluff is a nightmare (and keeping the cat out of opened stockboxes)  :doh:
Have fun,  ;)
gerard  :wave:

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
where is this maunsell green terrier you speak of? i look on kernow models website and can only see O gauge terriers?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline N-Gauge-US

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 04:21:05 AM »
It's not a great runner, it got very jerky and now it's stopped running. Anything I can look for on this model? I now have to wait until Monday before it can go back to Arcadia.

I think @keerout is probably on to something. Mine has been singing a little and has had some pick up trouble. I took a look and there were a few cat hairs in the gears!  :dunce: I oiled it some and it is better but still not great. I'm going to try keerout's advice and see if that helps any. Hopefully that will help because it isn't quite as good of a runner as I had hoped initially (my new Dapol Pannier makes it look like a joke right now). I will let you know what happens.

I hope yours is on the mend or you have a new one in hand soon! Let us know what happens.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »
where is this maunsell green terrier you speak of? i look on kernow models website and can only see O gauge terriers?

You are going to have to either pre-order one or really hunt around if you want an SR Terrier. Ehattons has the preorder at 56.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
Looks like another batch of Terriers on their way:

DA2S-012-007   Terrier Portishead GWR Shirtbutton

More temptation and I suppose I'll have to get a B set (Dapol  2P-003-002) to go with!

It's only money.  :doh:

Dave G

Offline N-Gauge-US

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
Yes! This batch is to have "Thames" in LB&SCR livery, as well as engines in BR black, SR green, K&ESR blue and GWR shirtbutton!!!:) I'm planning on going DCC soon and already am dreading converting the one I have and now I want four more!!! (All but he BR black...)

Looks like another batch of Terriers on their way:

DA2S-012-007   Terrier Portishead GWR Shirtbutton

More temptation and I suppose I'll have to get a B set (Dapol  2P-003-002) to go with!

It's only money.  :doh:

Dave G

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
Hi

Gremlins at work ....
... Attempt 3......

Further to my previous post I have now increased the weight of my Dapol Terrier with the following and It now pulls a decent goods train at even slow speed over insulfrog points.

1  Stuck a cab wide (inside width) slab of lead painted black in the  back of the inside of the cab.

2  Stuck some slivers of lead into the deep  small square hole in the plastic on the  underside of the loco.
3  Snipped off the inside leg of two metal crew and jammed them in the two sides of the cab.

Cheers

Mac  :beers:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:48:53 PM by macwales »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal