!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crossover junction servo control  (Read 131 times)

Offline Malcolm Hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Crossover junction servo control
« on: September 15, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
What is the best way to change two points at once, when they are supposed to work on a pair in a crossover junction?
I'm wondering if my options might be.

a: Programme two separate servos in tandem.
B: Have two servos connected to the same driver output to work in multiple
C: Use just one servo with wire and tube linkage to change both points in the crossover at once.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=99471
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:01:54 AM by Malcolm Hunt »
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.
- Progression to prescription glasses has not dissuaded me either.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
Re: Crossover junction servo control
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 01:29:19 AM »
I would use the A option on my layout.  I have all the electronics for such a setup.  Easy to fine tune operation limits of each servo.
B is of course possible but would lose the individual adjustment for each servo.
I would find C to be the most tricky to setup but not difficult.  If horns are used then these can be used to advantage on amount of servo throws available.

Don't know which is the "best" option, just what I like. :hmmm:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline Malcolm Hunt

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
I would use the A option on my layout.  I have all the electronics for such a setup.  Easy to fine tune operation limits of each servo.
B is of course possible but would lose the individual adjustment for each servo.
I would find C to be the most tricky to setup but not difficult.  If horns are used then these can be used to advantage on amount of servo throws available.

Don't know which is the "best" option, just what I like. :hmmm:
Yup, I make you right about option A. I think the deciding factor is the issue of programming for the adjustment of individual travel on each set of points.
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.
- Progression to prescription glasses has not dissuaded me either.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 05:24:09 PM »
I did option B on my last layout on 4 different crossovers and two scissor crossings. Worked acceptably, no better than that! I did it solely to conserve outputs - I could operate 16 turnouts from 6 outputs, so it saved about 40. Worked better with Peco turnouts than handbuilt ones, but I think that's more a statement on my shonky track building than anything.

You had to be accurate in lining up the mounts, and the servos needed to be opposite ways around in order that they would both work, which was a problem in space constrained locations. Not sure I'd bother again, think I'd just link the outputs to the same switch, but connect them independently.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal