!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dodgy joint  (Read 278 times)

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Dodgy joint
« on: September 10, 2020, 02:07:50 AM »
I have only noticed tonight after the track being laid about 3 years ago that I have a dodgy joint in my raised level track. The only way I noticed was when I turned the music down (Pink Floyd by the way) and heard the old diddly dee, diddly da sound. On closer inspection and a technical analysis of running my finger along the track join I found what you see in the picture below. Now, it doesn't seem to have any effect on any trains apart from the sound but now I know it's there I find it annoying. It isn't as bad as it looks in the picture which looks horrendorous but is it worth doing anything about it and if so, what? The track is all fixed down either side of this which is part of 3 double overhead track sections joined together. Is there any way of removing it to find out what the issue is? I can probably take it apart by forcing it upwards but I suspect that putting it back again could cause more damage than I want it to. I'm sure it all clipped together ok when I laid it but it looks like just the far side isn't quite level as the 'bridge' side also looks out of alignment. Maybe I can force it down a bit?
So, in essence, the only thing to be improved is the sound as trains run across it so do I just turn up the music and put up with it or do I do something about it?

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Dodgy joint
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:59:52 AM »
If nothing is coming off the rails, I'd leave it alone.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »
You  could, ever so gently, file the raised side slightly, but if it is creating no problems, I would leave well alone. Taking up a fixed piece, on a bridge, could lead to all sorts of problems. Turn the music up a  bit.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »
Rough joints are quite common in Unitrack, going by the pieces I have. It's a side effect of Unijoiners being slightly flexible and removable.

Not a big problem for me as I only use Unitrack for temporary table-top test tracks, but it would annoy me on a permanent layout and I would seek to ensure the track sections are properly aligned and secured/flattened when gluing/pinning down.

I've had Fleischmann locos with low hanging brake shoes get caught on particularly bad joints  :censored:

I would never recommend filing the rail head.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:53:40 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
@Leon
Maybe this thread will make you feel slightly more at ease

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
you could also try replacing the unijoiner with a new one, as was mentioned earlier, unitrack can get a bit rough.  The new unijoiner will be tighter

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »
None of my rail joins come close to the one Trainfish showed us. Nevertheless, I still get plenty of clatter from my trains at every join. The one I've mentioned in my thread that's a little wider than normal is level, at least. My problem has been lightweight rolling stock that don't require much of a bump to take a leap! Come on manufacturers, give us a break. What would it take to add a little weight and you've created a profit margin that can stand the tiny bit of extra expense!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 09:30:53 PM »
you could also try replacing the unijoiner with a new one, as was mentioned earlier, unitrack can get a bit rough.  The new unijoiner will be tighter

But the track is fixed down now.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 09:37:18 PM »
It is indeed fixed down @dannyboy. I may try forcing one section up a little and the other down but apart from that I doubt I'll do anything. I think this is the only problem with Kato track in that once fixed down it's difficult to lift or replace a section. At least with Peco and others you can usually slide the joiner one way or the other and lift 1 section. Apart from that I think the only other option as confirmed by your good self is to turn up the music. Not that I need much encouragement to do that anyway  :thumbsup:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 03:11:31 AM »
Panic over, all sorted

Brute force and ignorance was all that was needed and I have an abundance of both  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 03:37:05 AM »
 :laughabovepost:

Glad you got it sorted!  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 10:04:47 AM »
Come on manufacturers, give us a break. What would it take to add a little weight and you've created a profit margin that can stand the tiny bit of extra expense!

@Leon
Then complaints will arise about haulage capacity of locos (they do already). Manufacturers cannot react without receiving a huge outcry rather than the odd complaint solved by the individual adding some tiny fish weights. I have stock from Farish, Dapol, RevolutioN, DJ Models, Peco and Minitrix and only suffer from random wagon uncouplings. Us N gaugers do like our long trains!

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »
I must admit I find the whole uncoupling debate and loco haulage rather tiresome.

They are small N gauge models. The Peco wagons are light weight.

They have climbed a curved gradient, out of sight, on my layout for 30+ years.

All I can add to this is, get it right before you start scenery.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal