!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Painting track for "Stand Off Scale"  (Read 332 times)

Offline taholmes160

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Painting track for "Stand Off Scale"
« on: September 09, 2020, 12:29:26 AM »
HI Folks:

IM looking for suggestions of what colors to use for painting track for what some call 3 foot scale -- as in it looks good at 3 feet distance -- I want it to look "Good" but not take hours on each section of track. This railroad is designed for operation, and i want it to look decent but im not trying to win any awards for my artistry

Any input or suggestions or links to sites or threads is really REALLY appreciated

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande
San Luis and Rio Grande

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
Re: Painting track for "Stand Off Scale"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:32:28 AM »
After Bealman regretted the shiny appearance of my trackwork, I used Woodland Scenics track pens and then ran a track rubber over the top surface of the rail to remove any of the paint which had found its way there..  They are quick to use. Don't press too hard, as the tip will then degrade quickly.
If you look at my layout thread, pages 17-19 you can see the difference, and note the final warning from NPN.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 02:52:52 PM »
I lightly spray my track dark brown using acrylic aerosol paint before I put it down. It saves a lot of time. I don’t spray points though, I do them by hand.

Once the track is dry I clean the tops of the rails with a track rubber.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
I lightly spray my track dark brown using acrylic aerosol paint before I put it down. It saves a lot of time. I don’t spray points though, I do them by hand.

Once the track is dry I clean the tops of the rails with a track rubber.

That’s pretty much my approach except I put the track down then spray before ballasting.
I cover the points with tape and paint those by hand.
I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »
Lay the track.
Solder power feeds.
Thoroughly test it all works! Now's the time to sort out any problems or make any adjustments to the plan  :)
Apply overall spray of brown/dirt colour.  I like the rails NOT to stand out so the same colour all over is fine.
Ballast.
Apply a light spray of brown/dirt/oil/khaki as appropriate to the environment in which the track is situated (eg. oily for depots, khaki for old hardly used sidings, brake dust in stations etc.)
Clean the tops of the rails with track rubber.
Test it all still works!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
I'd say don't paint the track in isolation! Some of the orange efforts you see (more 'fake tan' than 'rust') are just horrid and as for what is sold as "track dirt"... Do weather the track in with the ballast, and that could be anything from pale grey to dark brown depending on the location and era you are representing, maybe with a hint of black or green or yellow.

As ever, study photos of the location and era you are modelling.
(admittedly colour photos are fewer of earlier eras so the exact location may be hard to find.)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 12:31:12 AM »
Hi All

I am picking up this thread to ask some advice on lightly weathering track. I am sort of getting on with my next layout which will feature a newly laid high speed track. I have bought on load of code 55 concrete sleeper track that will need finished so not to look like plastic and bright rail but as new track in the real world. Trying to achieve this effectively and efficiently would appear challenging. General track weathering approaches that I familiar with will make the track too dirty. I am thinking of trying to spray the track before laying including masking off the sleepers to paint the rail edges

Any ideas

Thanks

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:52:08 AM »
Hi All

I am picking up this thread to ask some advice on lightly weathering track. I am sort of getting on with my next layout which will feature a newly laid high speed track. I have bought on load of code 55 concrete sleeper track that will need finished so not to look like plastic and bright rail but as new track in the real world. Trying to achieve this effectively and efficiently would appear challenging. General track weathering approaches that I familiar with will make the track too dirty. I am thinking of trying to spray the track before laying including masking off the sleepers to paint the rail edges

Any ideas

Thanks
Ironically, newly laid track is the one time that bright orange rust can be appropriate depending on where and for how long the rail was stored before laying!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
@Rabbitaway  Yes I have to agree with @PLD that this is a scenario where I would want to consider painting the rails specifically, then a light weathering overspray of the entire trackwork. It's not something I've ever attempted as I've not used concrete sleepered track. Just be aware that it will tend to highlight the overscale nature of the rail, and that's why I prefer a general overall spray of colour on wooden sleepered track (as mentioned in earlier post).

As to how you paint the rails, I believe Woodland Scenics do a rail colour "paint pen" with might be easier and more accurate then spraying? 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:24:11 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal