!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D downunder  (Read 280 times)

Offline Nebnoswal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12862
    • Awards
3D downunder
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:25:54 AM »
After having been introduced to some CAD and now having access to a resin 3D printer, I've been trying my hand with some 3D prints of wagons which will never be readily available as kits.

First wagon of the list, and as the first guinea-pig, is the S&DJR 8/10T Covered road van.  I drew this initial in 1/148 scale with the intention of plonking it on a Peco 10' chassis. What I didn't take into account was the actual width of the Peco chassis. 

I'm now awaiting an order from the 2mmFS for some 10' chassis to see how they compare before I discover how to change the width of the drawing.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: 3D downunder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »
Looking good, Ben. Be interested in seeing the final version.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »
Is it feasible to trim a couple of mm off the chassis solebars and make the solebars part of the print (so they overlay where the chassis ones were)?

Offline Nebnoswal

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 11:33:45 PM »
Is it feasible to trim a couple of mm off the chassis solebars and make the solebars part of the print (so they overlay where the chassis ones were)?
I have thought about that, and may give it a try.  Eventually I'd to  think I might be able to incorporate a 3D printed chassis, either as apart of the wagon itself, or as a separate item.  Time, and patience will tell.

Offline Nebnoswal

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »
My next design is the SDJR 6 Wheel Mail Brake van.  Finding drawings and pictures have been scarce, especially of the ends. 

I've since been informed that there are no  windows in the ends, so editing is in progress

The chassis for this will be MR 6 Wheel brake from the 2mmFS

Offline RBTKraisee

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
Great job on these!   I love the level of detail you're getting there, very nice indeed.

Can I ask what are you designing them in?   And what are you using to print them?

Ross.
“The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars” -Robert Heinlein

An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Offline Nebnoswal

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »
After some trial and effort on several CAD programs, I've settled on the Fusion 360 and am pretty happy with it.

The prints are being done on a on a Anycubic Photon resin printer.  Its not mine, it belongs to a mate and fellow modeler.

Whilst working on the brake van, I've also been looking at other wagons that aren't available as RTR or kits.
I've always like the special cattle wagons.  My first attempt is the LMS D1819 Calf Van.  I'm still working on an idea for a chassis.

Within in box of UFO's, there is a Fleetline 15T Cowans crane which I started many years ago when I was in Iraq.  It suffered was war damage, literally, and has remained in the "I'll get to eventually pile".  Well, now with 3D printing I can.  First, I've started with a trial by redrawing the matchwagon of a 5T crane.

I'll get photos up soon, and test prints have already been completed

Offline Nebnoswal

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
As promised, here are the test shots

Am quite happy with the Calf van.  Unfortunatly when I was sanding the roof back, a small appeared, but I will fill that.  For the chassis which need a 11' wheelbase, I've used one from Farish cattle wagon, which appears to do the trick.  Just need to get some decals for  "CALF VAN"

The brakevan is developing, but still needs some more tweaking

The matchwagon is the first wagon I've drafted where I drew the plugs which fit into the coupling pockets in a Peco chassis.  It was a good fit.  Having got this sorted, I can not move onto the 15T crane.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal