Farish 8F no longer delayed (24 11 20)

Started by N_GaugeModeller, August 06, 2020, 09:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osborns

my personal crimson sound version  one is on its way to me right now.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Delboy on November 25, 2020, 02:47:59 PM
We need to change the title yet again. Perhaps I can suggest it is changed to "Farish 8F - only the sound version delayed"  :D

Farish 8F "sounds" close

Southerngooner

In terms of haulage I could only test my 8F on an oval of setrack with 12" radius curves and a short straight on both sides. I ramped it up at one end by putting the two halves of the 8F box under the board, so not scientific at all! It pulled a complete set of Mk1 coaches and ended up with the last just an inch from the front buffer beam. It did slow a bit on the way up, but it never slipped. I compared it to my N which I know will haul at least 30 wagons up a 1:100 and this slowed down a bit less, so I think they will probably pull at least 30 wagons which is all I need at home or on James Street.

It was a very smooth runner though. I'll be interested to see how others fare, and whether there are the usual rogue locos out there. Which traction tyres the 8F should pull well......

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Snowwolflair

I wonder how adaptable the chassis will be for other 2-8-0 and similar kits and 3D prints.

Delboy

Quote from: osborns on November 25, 2020, 02:53:12 PM
my personal crimson sound version  one is on its way to me right now.

Is this from the Collector's Club as I also have ordered one from there?  I have rang up on two separate occasions in the last 2 weeks and left 2 phone numbers but no one has been in touch.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Dr Al

I've just received mine, and some *very* interesting design choices are apparent.

Wiper pickups on the loco have made a return, all 8 drivers having prominent (well, when inverted) small finger wipers  - this is extremely interesting, as the loco appears to still have phosphor axle bearings, of a new smaller design, but looks to be no longer be split chassis. I think designers are starting to realise that axle pickup isn't hugely reliable and a pain to maintain/clean. Tender has pinpoints on outer axles, the central looks to not have power pickup, so 10 wheel pickup is the reality (12 have pickups, but 2 of the drivers have tyres, so while they have the wipers, they won't contribute much).

Tender has included speaker (not much interest to me) and nice low coal load, which looks to be metal and push-outable from underside.

Detail bits include the snowplough, cab doors, front steps, coupling hooks, and nicely, front covers for the insides of the fronts of the cylinders - these are off by default for tight curve running clearance, but a nice inclusion for those with looser curves.

Overall very interesting - not yet had chance to run!

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Roy L S

Quote from: Dr Al on November 25, 2020, 03:53:47 PM
I've just received mine, and some *very* interesting design choices are apparent.

Wiper pickups on the loco have made a return, all 8 drivers having prominent (well, when inverted) small finger wipers  - this is extremely interesting, as the loco appears to still have phosphor axle bearings, of a new smaller design, but looks to be no longer be split chassis. I think designers are starting to realise that axle pickup isn't hugely reliable and a pain to maintain/clean. Tender has pinpoints on outer axles, the central looks to not have power pickup, so 10 wheel pickup is the reality (12 have pickups, but 2 of the drivers have tyres, so while they have the wipers, they won't contribute much).

Tender has included speaker (not much interest to me) and nice low coal load, which looks to be metal and push-outable from underside.

Detail bits include the snowplough, cab doors, front steps, coupling hooks, and nicely, front covers for the insides of the fronts of the cylinders - these are off by default for tight curve running clearance, but a nice inclusion for those with looser curves.

Overall very interesting - not yet had chance to run!

Cheers,
Alan

I think the choice of pickup may have more to do with needing to dispense with an electrically split chassis given the cast metal footplate. It is the same on the C Class which also retains PB loco bearings.

Regards

Roy

P.S. Edit: I wish Rails would hurry up and ship mine, I am beginning to wish I had gone to my local supplier from whom I ordered my late crest sound one.

joe cassidy

Does anyone have the old version and the new one ?

I would love to see a photo of both together in the same shot.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Joe

Dr Al

Quote from: Roy L S on November 25, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
I think the choice of pickup may have more to do with needing to dispense with an electrically split chassis given the cast metal footplate. It is the same on the C Class which also retains PB loco bearings.

Yes, this is a good point.

Frankly, I think it's a win all round - the bearing pickups are never as reliable as a correctly adjusted wiper.

And on that note, I should say that out of box a number of them weren't that well adjusted :doh:  - I've bent a few out a smidgen. Tender pickup seems rock solid, and performance is as good as anything I've seen - no tight spots, no wobbles, perfect ability to creep.

I noticed also that on both locos the slide bars were slightly bent on one side. Didn't cause any running issues, but I straightened them a fraction.

These are frankly minor - the model feels particularly quality, and may well be the best steam loco we've had yet (subjective, I know!).

Quote from: Roy L S on November 25, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
P.S. Edit: I wish Rails would hurry up and ship mine, I am beginning to wish I had gone to my local supplier from whom I ordered my late crest sound one.

Mine came from Cheltenham model centre. I suspect they also made a slight error - their eBay listing allowed an additional 5% discount for multiple buys, over the already maximum 15% discount from RRP. They might be sailing a bit close to the wind with that one with Bachmann! But hence I have 2 8Fs.....somewhat sooner than expected!

Best,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 25, 2020, 04:37:55 PM
Does anyone have the old version and the new one ?

I would love to see a photo of both together in the same shot.

I do, can probably do some shots later on.

Cheers,
Alan

joe cassidy

Thank you very much Alan.

Any comments you may care to make about the new one would of course also be very welcome.

Dr Al

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 25, 2020, 05:03:08 PM
Any comments you may care to make about the new one would of course also be very welcome.

I think I've already covered a bit on that - "probably one of the best yet" would be a concise overview!

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

Some comparisons.

The old 8F actually holds up well - body is correct length, most details correct. The real thing that lets it down most notably is the bulbous boiler and 'face' which are very overscale. The new model has all of this spot on.

Notable detail on the new model - the reversing lever is straight as compared the earlier model with it's curved one. The latter was on earlier locos in real life, so care when renumbering!

The wipers:

The cab interior is exquisite. I think the designer's changed - the new models seem to have very pronounced fitment points for the extra detail like cab doors, unlike previous new tools. Same is true on underside of front end where the peg holes for the snowplough are.

I should say that I've not fitted any detail parts yet - this is the out-of-box condition.

Running is sublime. Silent, smooth, effortless, no wobbles (a major issue on many Bachmann models due to quartering and insulator concentricity in the not too distant past - e.g. Fairburns), no tight spots. I've not tested the haulage yet, but I'll be bold as to say I think it will be strong. The tyred wheels are on the *correct* wheels (namely the back drivers) and one can feel the grip of them on track.

Cheers,
Alan

Bigmac

Quote from: Dr Al on November 25, 2020, 07:34:56 PM
Some comparisons.

The old 8F actually holds up well - body is correct length, most details correct. The real thing that lets it down most notably is the bulbous boiler and 'face' which are very overscale. The new model has all of this spot on.

Notable detail on the new model - the reversing lever is straight as compared the earlier model with it's curved one. The latter was on earlier locos in real life, so care when renumbering!

The wipers:

The cab interior is exquisite. I think the designer's changed - the new models seem to have very pronounced fitment points for the extra detail like cab doors, unlike previous new tools. Same is true on underside of front end where the peg holes for the snowplough are.

I should say that I've not fitted any detail parts yet - this is the out-of-box condition.

Running is sublime. Silent, smooth, effortless, no wobbles (a major issue on many Bachmann models due to quartering and insulator concentricity in the not too distant past - e.g. Fairburns), no tight spots. I've not tested the haulage yet, but I'll be bold as to say I think it will be strong. The tyred wheels are on the *correct* wheels (namely the back drivers) and one can feel the grip of them on track.

Cheers,
Alan

" They all look the same to me "
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Newportnobby

For some reason the worst part of the old model for me was the overtly missing piece of girderwork (I don't know the correct name for it) shown in an arrow on a blatant copy of Alans Pic @Dr Al

I really am champing at the bit to get mine now

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%