!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: This is the LNER, The Past, Present and Future of the East Coast Main Line  (Read 211 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
This is the LNER. The Past, Present and Future of the East Coast Main Line, By Editor: Murray Brown, Key Publishing

Book Review: Another bookazine or magbook, whatever they're called.

To quote Kevin Kline in the classic movie A Fish called Wanda, DISAPPOINTING!!!

I only had a very quick look through it at the newsagents, but spotted a couple of pages devoted to stations - Durham, Darlington, York, Newcastle Central, all places I was familiar with from my youth. So I plonked down my A$19.99 and took it home.

Mistake. The title is totally misleading, for a start. For example, the 'Past' is nothing more than two black and white photos (albeit, interesting ones).

To be honest, the whole publication seems to be little more than a promotional vehicle for the Azuma 800 class train. It features in most of the photographs.

I did learn a couple of things, however. For instance, I never realised that trains would be diverted through the Tyne Valley and onto the WCML when conditions required it. You'd be really peed off if you were in a hurry, no matter how good the scenery was!

Trains were also diverted through Hartlepool and Sunderland, a line I used to travel on regularly during my college years.

As I said at the start, I was pretty disappointed with the mag, especially at the price. Lots of pictures of Azumas, but little in the way of factual information.

ISBN: N/A

Score: 2
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:29:12 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Surely "Main Line", or is it about postal services?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• Awards
 :laughabovepost:

The damn internet dropped out on me twice while I was typing that. I ended up typing the bloody thing three times!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Many thanks, George.

Sorry that the publication was a disappointment.

I had the Tyne Valley/WCML diversion a few times.  They fiddled with the diagrams to provide a HST on what would normally be a '225' working.  It was a pleasure sitting in such comfort travelling over that beautiful line; normally, its a dmu service.  GNER/East Coast/VTEC considered the diversion was kinder to passengers than a bus from Newcastle Central to the Waverley.

I suppose it's even easier with the new 'Azuma' trains as they are electro-diesels.  The only journey I have had on one, thus far, involved a diversion via Lincoln which it achieved with no fuss at all.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• Awards
Thanks, John.  :thumbsup:

I must admit, that cross country trip via the Tyne valley would be cool with me, but these days I'm basically a tourist in my home country!  :beers:

George

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
One of my last trip back home from Newcastle was via the 'Coast' line, Hartlepool and Sunderland, due to a lineside incident near Durham resulting in the line being closed for investigation.

About 30' late from Newcastle, and nearly two hours late into KX. Felt strange to leave Newcastle on a southbound service and heading north before crossing  the Tyne! And of course, the set was wrong way round for its return northbound service, and the crew change was carried out at Peterborough instead of KX.

Martyn

Offline Bealman

• Awards
Thanks for that, Martyn. Yes, it's an interesting stretch of line, that one down the coast, going by places like Seaham Harbour and Blackhall Rocks. There are some quite tight bends, if I recall.

By the way, I understand you had a bit of trouble posting this, and have been told why. Most unusual!  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:41:43 PM by Bealman »

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Hello George;

Yes, a problem posting, but overcome.

The train I was on was the usual cl 91 electric loco hauled set, and of course, there are no wires for much of the diversion. The train was therefore hauled by a class 67 from Newcastle to York. As there were by then a queue of trains waiting to get southbound in Newcastle station, and presumably as many trying to get past Durham northbound, I've no idea what locos were used for them-presumably the HST sets ran with a conductor.

There was normally a cl67 at Newcastle on 'Thunderbird' duties at this time, but there would have been need of a considerable number of diesels, I would have thought, until the line re-opened.

Martyn

Offline Bealman

• Awards
Hi Martyn,

Should be fixed now. Topic was locked!

I think I probably did that inadvertently on my phone.

Sorry!

George

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal