!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Movable baseboard  (Read 542 times)

Offline KiwiAlan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28657
    • Awards
Movable baseboard
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:33:30 AM »
My 2M x 1M baseboard is in my study. However, with recent events I now spend quite a lot of time in the study “working from home”. It’s now quite snug in there. When I'm working I don't tend to have my trains operating.

I’m thinking of a way to move the baseboard out of the way when I’m working so that I have a bit of space.

The 2 options that I’m considering are either:
  • to put the board on a pulley system so that it is winched to the ceiling; or
  • to put a hinge on the size and fold it up into a box attached to the wall.
Ideally, the solution needs to be cat proof.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these options and maybe some learnings that they could share. Or is there a 3rd option?

Thanks

Alan

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: Movable baseboard
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:16:48 AM »
@Elvinley is an 8x4 (or so) layout which hinges up into the wall when Ian needs to use the dining table for dining!

It looks way too permanent and complex to fold away, but it does. I can't find the picture of the layout folded into the wall, but it's around somewhere. It's not something you would do every day, unless you can come up with a slick way of holding the rolling stock in place.

Here's the layout thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1237.0

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:17:05 AM »
Yes, there have been many ingenious methods over the years, the two you suggest being the most common.

The winching to the ceiling is probably preferable as you would not have to remove stock. However, unless it is a very smooth operation, N gauge stock will still become derailed.

The best option, unfortunately, is to leave it where it is, if you can live with it!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
Hi KiwiAlan,

I obviously don't know all your circumstances but as an 'off the top of me head' solution. If the layout is normal table top height and your working from home is on a computer, would it be possible to build a taller and slightly wider table top to go over the layout and you sit on a tall stool.

I mention it as my wife, who's in IT has been working from home since March and prefers to sit at our breakfast bar on a tall stool as she says it's better for her back and she doesn't get sciatica in her arm which she was getting sitting at the dining room table.

Might be a silly idea but just a thought and hope helps a little bit. Sorry, I don't know anything about your suggestions but will be interested in the pulley system for future reference if you go down that route.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:59 AM »
That's a good idea!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
Another idea might be to LOWER it slightly and then cover it with a box section that can be used as a work area.  If you only want to use the area as a sorting table, you could simply cover it where it is.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 08:50:32 AM »
I seem to recall that there was an article in Railway Modeller a couple of years ago about a layout that lifted to the ceiling on a pulley arrangement.  I'll try to find the reference if that would help.

Good luck with that, Alan!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »

Best wishes.

John

Indeed.  You'll be needing pulleys and a remote desert island :no:

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
One of my friends has built a dining table that sinks into the floor when not required, and is covered by flaps when in the down position. He was able to make space for it under the floor as part of his new build conservatory - converting an existing floor would be more of a challenge. The raising mechanism is a scissors jack type from a surplus mortuary trolley.

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
Did it have to be in the dead centre of the room?

Sorry, I'll see myself out.

:(
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
When I was a lad, my dad made my layout hinge on the long side and lock into a box on the wall.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »
Oh yes, I had an 8' x 4' board that raised up to the ceiling on pulleys, way back in the early 70s as a young lad  :)   To be honest that didn't last long, the frames weren't up to the job and it sagged.

Nowadays I build portable layouts that fit in my car for shows.  As long as you ensure you have an accurate means of baseboard alignment and decent securing bolts, then you can set up and dismantle as needed, perhaps on foldable trestles?  Keep the board sizes easily manageable by one person.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
I built a layout for my children years ago that folded against the wall. I built a strong shelf on the wall deep enough for the layout and hinged the layout on the shelf. When you put the layout down a “h” frame pair of legs hinged down to support the layout. The control unit hooked onto the layout and you just plugged it in. Sides an front boards protected the layout from dust and access by the children, a board on the bottom protected the wiring etc and it was painted same has the wall.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline KiwiAlan

• N Gauge Society Number: 28657
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
I seem to recall that there was an article in Railway Modeller a couple of years ago about a layout that lifted to the ceiling on a pulley arrangement.  I'll try to find the reference if that would help.

Best wishes.

John

It’s in the February 2018 edition. My thought that it was quite simple is probably not true. It suddenly looks like it could be quite a piece of engineering.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
I built a layout for my children years ago that folded against the wall. I built a strong shelf on the wall deep enough for the layout and hinged the layout on the shelf. When you put the layout down a “h” frame pair of legs hinged down to support the layout. The control unit hooked onto the layout and you just plugged it in. Sides an front boards protected the layout from dust and access by the children, a board on the bottom protected the wiring etc and it was painted same as the wall.

Maybe not a good move @lil chris
Have you ever found it again? :laugh:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal