!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: power distribution board and resistors question  (Read 241 times)

Online bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
power distribution board and resistors question
« on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »
i have got a brimal power distribution board.

it has a resistor incorporated on it.

do i still need to add separate resistors to each individual lighting component that draws power from this power distribution board?  (the power fed in is at the correct voltage for the lighting components)

electronics is not my strong point.

many thanks

tim

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: power distribution board and resistors question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:59 AM »
Can you post a link to confirm the exact board? 

From memory I think the resistor you refer to is only there for the onboard power indicator LED.

You definitely still need to ensure there is an appropriate resistor present for each LED light you wire in.  Of course, if you're supplying 12V and the lights you're using are sold as rated for 12V then presumably they already have the required resistor fitted to the wiring?

I usually find running 12V lights at 12V makes them too bright for the layout scene, and often run them at 9V or add additional resistance. That's entirely up to you of course :-)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:14:16 AM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Online bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 12:04:50 PM »
ah yes... its for the light on the board!!

thanks. i still need resisters then.

just wondered what it was on the board for and and got me thinking....

cheers

tim

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:27 PM »
i still need resisters then.

Yes, although if your lights are LEDs but sold as suitable for 12V then they should already have a resistor pre-fitted or supplied with the light for you to attach?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
I use the Brimal PDB's on both my DCC and DC power buses; the DC bus is almost entirely for the layout lighting. As @ntpntpntp mentions, some of your LED lighting will have a resistor pre-wired, and others will not.

One thing that I've found is that if you use the resistors supplied either pre-installed or not, your lighting will probably be way too bright. I discovered these handy things called buck convertors here in the US which are mini step-down transformers for DC with an adjustable rheostat built in which you can dial down to dim the lights according to your taste.

I wire a complete set of lights to one buck converter - my station platform lighting is all wired to one converter for example, so I'm not messing around trying out different resistors for potentially 20 lights. I get the buck converters from Amazon for around $13 for a pack of ten, so concidentally a little more than a buck for each converter!

I'm sure the UK will have a similar gadget - almost certainly Brimal will, they've got pretty much everything else! I just don't know what they're called over there.

Online bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:06:44 AM »
thanks for the replies!

is this what you buy steve?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q5SFHQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6fljFbDTYS3PB

cheers

tim

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:00:00 AM »
Hi Tim

They look close. Components change all the time, this is the nearest I can find to the ones I picked up a few months ago - now not available, unsurprising with supply chain woes everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Converter-1-5-35v-Efficiency-Regulator/dp/B07C2QF1T1/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=12v+buck+converter&qid=1596246596&sr=8-21

I'm not suggesting you buy these ones, you need to source locally! The ones you found look right on the money.

"Adjustable" is key. A word to the wise - anti-clockwise to dim, and don't expect immediate results if the ones you get are anything like mine. I was about to send them back when there was absolutely no evidence of dimming, but after a couple of  minutes of futile effort (I'm guessing about 50 turns of the screw), lo and behold there we go. Dim/Bright. Yay patience!

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:39:53 AM »
I did notice Tim’s ones say adjustable between 1.2 and 37v, so yes, I imagine a lot of ‘dead’ adjustment travel.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
There are loads of modules like this out there on ebay etc., both adjustable and fixed voltage types.   Those Amazon ones look like a reasonable deal.   I bought a bunch of them years ago with the intention of using them for coach lighting on my garden line, but never got around to it.  From time to time I pull one from the stores for the N layout.

I've also fitted a fixed 9V and 12V module under each baseboard of my current project so I have reference voltages for powering lights, PIC projects etc.

Online bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:15:18 PM »
thanks

if i need to dim a few lights i might try those buck boards then as quite a cheap product

ive ordered some resistors for using with my 3v power supply / 3v led street lights and i will order some others too for if i ever use a higher v input. i calculated the resistor values i needed on that calculator linked to in another thread.

cheers

tim

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal