!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help with adhesives.  (Read 314 times)

Offline N Gauge Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12922
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Help with adhesives.
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:17:02 PM »
Greetings friends. Just to clarify that I am still alive (just) and that I am still using my car reg number and non Society sites as NGM (N Gauge Modeller)as I have done for some 20 years. It appears that someone else has adopted the same title of NGM. I have been known as N Gauge Bob or N Gauge Modeller for all that time especially on the exhibition circuit and also on certain auction sites. I now seem to be getting a load of posts for another NGM??? The Society seems to recognise us both as one!!!! My email address is as it has been for many years ...ngaugemodeller....

As many know I have been rather ill and as such I simply do not go out anymore. It is time to open the magic box and delve into unmade kits....about 200 of them!!
First.....What is recommended to stick Ultima coach sides onto plastic coach bodies, suitably sanded and prepared? I seem to have problems with adhesion with super glue and Araldite type substances.
Second....My soldering is adequate for  basic functions but I have problems soldering brass to whitemetal as in the Langley Lattice Footbridge What is the best adhesive to use for this?
I have a top range soldering iron and also every flux imagineable thanks to Carrs salesperson some years back!!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Help with adhesives.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »
of NGM. I have been known as N Gauge Bob or N Gauge Modeller for all that time especially on the exhibition circuit and also on certain auction sites. I now seem to be getting a load of posts for another NGM??? The Society seems to recognise us both as one!!!! My email address is as it has been for many years ...ngaugemodeller....[/ color]

If the NGS is confused, you need to contact their membership secretary

membership-secretary@ngaugesociety.com

For detailed queries about your application/renewal
Please include name, date of application and
membership number (for renewals)

On NGF you are still N  Gauge Bob?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:19:41 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »
  Hi Bob,
Good to know you are managing to soldier on. I found some soldering info from another site and copy/pasted it for you. hope it is of some use.

"There are 4 main ways of soldering whitemetal to brass that I know of (I have no doubt that there are other methods that I am not aware of):

Tin the brass where the whitemetal part is to be placed, with 145 degree solder and then use 70 degree solder to solder the whitemetal part on to the tinned area.
        Solder the whitemetal part directly to the brass using 145 degree solder - you need a hot iron and to be very quick to prevent the whitemetal part from melting.
        Solder the whitemetal part directly to the brass using 100 degree solder. - a much better choice for the inexperienced than option 2.
        Solder the whitemetal part directly to the brass using 100 degree solder using a microflame instead of a conventional soldering iron - my preferred way of doing it these days.

In any of the above (or indeed any soldering) both workpieces need to be clean and fluxed. I use a pair of small wire brushes for cleaning whitemetal castings, one steel and the other brass. Don't be too vigorous with the steel version or you may damage softer castings.

Regarding flux, everyone has their own personal choice but I use the water based safety flux available from HERE (Building O Gauge Online) which I have used since 2010 or earlier. I use this flux for all my soldering, irrespective of what I am soldering and I have successfully soldered, brass, nickel silver, whitemetal and steel with it (the latter being a set of Slaters steel coupling rods). I apply it from a largish syringe which is fitted with a nozzle/needle sold for refilling inkjet ink cartridges."

If you want to know where I got it and see more comments:-

https://platform1mrc.com/p1mrc/index.php?threads/white-metal-to-brass-soldering.3618/

Best wishes.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:44:57 PM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »
NGF Code of Conduct section (m)

Any member found with more than one account will have their membership suspended pending an investigation. If any member has more than one account and would like to delete these additional accounts then please contact Tank.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
Bob;

I stuck nearly all my Ultima sides, both printed and etched, to the frames with Thixofix, and roofs with Araldite rapid (it could be sanded to shape as a filler of any gaps). However, as some are now over twenty years old, there have been cases of the side becoming at least partly detached. Original 24 hour Araldite is also good for brass sides, if you can wait and make sure the sides don't move during curing.

I've had success in repairing using Deluxe glue'n'glaze, and a solitary repair with non-crazing superglue (Deluxe again?).

These both seem to have worked, though care is needed to avoid getting the glue on your fingers and then onto the coach sides......... :(

Martyn

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »
Never   have   any   trouble   with   Araldite   5  minute   setting   but   you   must   mix  it   for   at   least   3   minutes  before  you   use  it,   if   you   don't   it   will   not  set   and    it   will   remain   a   gooy   mess,     

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »
I used Evostick (other contact adhesives are available!) to fix etched sides to early Farish coaches. Take care not to get glue close to the edges of the windows otherwise you might struggle more than you need to when fitting the glazing.

Steven B

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
Problem   with   contact   adhesives   is   that   you    haven't   got    a   second   chance   if   you    get   it   wrong,    at   least   with   araldite  you   have    at   least   2   minutes   to   get   it   right,  then   if   you   want   to   remove   it   just   apply  a     bit   of   heat  and   it   should   melt

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:03:26 AM »
Hi Bob

Just to clarify I am not you  :wave:

Don't know what the issue is with the NGS? I am not a member.

NGM  not NG Bob ;)
There mayl be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal