!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Glacier Express start set  (Read 584 times)

Offline MalW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Kato Glacier Express start set
« on: July 23, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Hi
Can anyone help. I'm on my second set of Kato Glacier express starter packs and have had problems with both the ge4/4 lll locos derailling on points (all my other locos run fine). Is this a known problem with this particular model, and does the mark ll run any better please! 

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
Re: Kato Glacier Express start set
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
What type of points? The Kato #4 (20-220 & 20-221) often need a bit of surgery to prevent derailments.

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi
I'm using fleischmann piccolo, I've 8 other locos running with no probs - mix of kato/hobbytrain ,fleischmann / minitrix etc - only ever had a prob with this one particular model ( 2 sets ) just wondered if the mark ll which looks more like my fleischmann re4/4 would run better, perhaps the mklll is a bit light?
Cheers

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
Now if you'd have used Kato track , then you wouldn't have the problem!

Kato #4 points are known to cause issues with non Kato stock, but fine for their own brand.

I've not run my Kato RhB stock on Piccolo track, despite owning some, so I can't help you here....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Jim Easterbrook

• Retired research engineer.
    • Personal web site
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
just wondered if the mark ll which looks more like my fleischmann re4/4 would run better, perhaps the mklll is a bit light?

My Ge 4/4/ III weighs 83 g, my Ge 4/4 II weighs 57 g. If light weight is your problem then switching to a Ge 4/4 II isn't going to fix it.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
Piccolo points are usually pretty good.   

Are the bogies a bit stiff on this model maybe?  Does it de-rail at the blades or the frog? On all points or just one in particular?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
As Nick suggests, check the bogies. I have a glacier express GE4/4/III and I’ve run it on Kato and Peco track without any problems. I have a mixture of small radii and crossovers.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I'll certainly see if I can loosen the bogies. Maybe I'm asking too much of a 'narrow gauge' model the problem seems to be worse when the loco is negotiating the points coming out of a curved section with some of the carriages still on the curve.
Also have used the fleischmann re4/4 to pull the carriages and runs perfectly under all conditions.Hmmm....

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
@MalW   A narrow gauge model should be able to cope with tighter curves than a standard gauge model, after all that's one of the benefits of narrow gauge lines in real life :)  Notwithstanding that these Kato models are running on standard gauge not narrow gauge - so the bogies are maybe wider than they should be. (They look much better when converted to Nm in my opinion).

Observe the derailments carefully at very slow speed, see if you can narrow it down to something like the couplings buffer locking, a low hanging detail part catching, or something? Does the loco cope when not pulling any stock?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
Hi
Loco runs fine on its own - when it is pulling 4 coaches it seems to lose its way on the points and ends up stuck between the 2 exits - this happens on several different points. I thought originally the coaches were somehow pulling the loco off the points but with only 4 light coaches this seems unlikely, then I thought that maybe using a heavier loco i.e the fleischmann re4/4 would solve it - it does, but obviously this isn't the correct loco for the glacier expre ss 🤔

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »
What type of coupler are you using ?

steve

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
Just the std rapido

Offline Tfc49

• N Gauge Society Number: 29337
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 12:19:16 AM »
Check the clearance between the underside of the snowplough blades at the front of the bogies and the track, particularly if you have inclined track and/or are using non-Kato track and points with surface-mounted point motors (such as Fleischmann). You may need to shave a few thou off the blades with a few strokes of a fine file. I found this to be the case with a Kato GE4/4 running on the gradients on my late father's Noch preform layout.
Toot!Toot!
Tfc49

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that today.

Offline MalW

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted advice on this topic. After the last posts I filed the snowploughs down and also cut off the spikes on the bottom of the couplers.
Unfortunately this didn't make any difference - had a look at my fleischmann re4/4 and realised that the bogies on the glacier express loco are set much higher into the body compared to the re4/4 meaning there is much less 'ground clearance' between the track and the bogies/bodywork in fact the wheels only protrude a couple of mm below the plastic casing of the bogies.
I'm sorry to say I think the problem is that my track is just not flat enough to allow for this and the layout also involves lots of curves and points.
Having said that my kato allegra 3 unit set runs fine.
My only conclusion is that I need to steer clear of 'narrow gauge' units ( or relay the track!) anyway, thanks for all the advice and help.
Cheers 

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal