!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Farranfore to Valencia Harbour Railway vol's 1 & 2, By Patrick O'Sullivan Review  (Read 880 times)

Offline moogle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
The Farranfore to Valencia Harbour Railway vol's 1 & 2, By Patrick O'Sullivan

Book Review: Both of these two books are by Oakwood Press and are in their OL series being OL126A & OL126B respectively.
They are paperbacks printed in 2003.

Volume 1 covers the planning, construction and an outline of operation.

Volume 2 covers the life of the line, train services, locomotives and personalities.

A good 300 pages in total these two books are crammed with information about this most scenic of the Kerry branch lines. Opened in stages from 1885 to 1893 it served a fairly wild and hilly area, numerous viaducts were needed and some of the stations served a sparse population to say the least. It closed for passengers in January 1960 and goods in the February.

In these pages there are photographs galore from the early days right up to closure and track diagrams of not only what was there but also of proposed extensions/alterations to the terminus station that were never built. There's also drawings of rolling stock and buildings, timetables and staff lists.

Whilst most books in the OL series have most of the above you might start thinking that these two have the modeller in mind. This may be true, though only a coincidence I'm sure, as the author is actually an N gauge railway modeller! (I met him at an exhibition a few years back)
In all they are a good read, everything is nicely laid out and easy to refer to.
I'd recommend them to anyone with an interest in the 5' 3" gauge railways of Ireland.
Priced at 10.95 each so not too expensive either!

ISBN: 0 85361 604 3 & 0 85361 610 8

Score: 5
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal