!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: peco pl 55 turntable motor.  (Read 273 times)

Offline Bigmac

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
peco pl 55 turntable motor.
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
has anyone got one ?  how good are they ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Online ScottishModeller

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
Re: peco pl 55 turntable motor.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
Hi there,

Depending what motor you choose to use....
I moved off the PECO bits to the MERG method.

For more on this - see my thread of the work in progress

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50021.msg651682#msg651682

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »
Hi there,

Thanks
Phil H

i mean the peco controller..pl 55....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-PL-55-Turntable-Motor-Free-Post/193485175709?hash=item2d0c9d7b9d:g:8HkAAOSw53Rd0pNp

Online ScottishModeller

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »
Hi there,

Thanks
Phil H

i mean the peco controller..pl 55....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-PL-55-Turntable-Motor-Free-Post/193485175709?hash=item2d0c9d7b9d:g:8HkAAOSw53Rd0pNp

OK - that is fine, but not the way I decided to pursue.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 09:58:16 PM »
has anyone got one ?  how good are they ?
I got one. It's OK, it just about does the job. It takes a little practice to line up the bridge with the entry or exit rails, you have to pretty much be looking directly down the tracks to get it right.

You also have to have built the turntable itself rock-solid - make sure there's no friction between the ends of the bridge and the turntable well walls and that the plastic "wheels" don't rub on the bottom of the well.

Assuming you've got that done right, then make sure when you attach the motor to the turntable bridge there is absolutely no play in it - when the motor turns, the bridge should immediately turn (and stop). The adaptor seems to have some built-in slack, it's not an absolute tight fit, so you'll need to get it set with some liquid plastic weld or some good adhesive, making sure of course that you don't gum up the bearing with glue.

I'd have preferred a longer lead from the hand controller to the motor, I think it's a couple of feet long so if your normal operational position is further away, not a lot of good.

I'm actually replacing it with the MERG motor now that they are available; the gearing allows for much slower turning, and it's easy to convert to DCC.

Basically, if it's something functional and simple you want, the PECO motor is OK. I've got only got one entrance/exit track to the turntable, it's there solely to turn an engine and even then I got a little frustrated with it. If there were multiple exit roads like in a depot I think it might be a little more of an irritation.

Hope this helps!

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 08:41:14 AM »
thanks for that.

does the peco motor connect direct to the turntable bridge plastic spigot that protrudes beneath--or does it still need a metal rod ?

is it quiet in operation ?

what if the power supply is less than 2 amps--will it still operate ?

i have 2 peco turntables and have tried to make a go of the kit with the big red gear wheel--and--yes--can confirm its very noisy--and useless.

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
There is this option, aswell:

https://www.locomotech.com/

Best

Scott.
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you you’re wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally don’t know why I’m anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Bigmac

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »
There is this option, aswell:

https://www.locomotech.com/

Best

Scott.

yes--ive considered those--but it hangs down too far beneath--and i read reviews saying its difficult to line up the tracks because of play in the gearbox.
has anyone used one ?

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »
thanks for that.

does the peco motor connect direct to the turntable bridge plastic spigot that protrudes beneath--or does it still need a metal rod ?

is it quiet in operation ?

what if the power supply is less than 2 amps--will it still operate ?

You're welcome. The motor unit connects directly to the plastic spigot via a little plastic adapter - this is where you need to be careful that you don't introduce play into the operation. There is no play at all from the motor spigot.

It's whisper-quite, doesn't make a sound.

I have a 2A DC circuit which powers my layout lighting bus and the turntable motor. I don't know how much power it draws when it's operating, but I'd be surprised if it's anywhere close to 2A. I don't know how to measure draw though, so that's just my guestimate. I do know that a sound-fitted loco loaded with lighting, stay-alive and what-not draws about 0.3A on my DCC circuit, so if the motor is anywhere close to 2A I'd be very surprised.

I measured and you'll need at the barest minimum 2 1/4 inches clearance below the bottom of the turntable pan, I'd call it safe and say a minimum 2 3/8 inches, more is better just to get at the plug-in connections for the power and the controller if you need to.

I'm actually replacing it with the MERG motor now that they are available; the gearing allows for much slower turning, and it's easy to convert to DCC.

Sorry, my bad, I meant the Locomotec motor. It should be arriving shortly, when it does I can tell you if there's any play from the gearbox. I hope not, but I guess we'll see!

Hope this is helpful.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:38:48 PM by LASteve »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »
...I'd be surprised if it's anywhere close to 2A. I don't know how to measure draw though, so that's just my guestimate.

Disconnect one wire from your DC supply and use a multimeter on its amps setting *in series* with the wiring (observing correct polarity).

I've read somewhere about the Peco unit specification saying at least 2 amps which seems a hell of a lot. Maybe it's to allow the unit to drive a heavy O gauge turntable or something?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
Disconnect one wire from your DC supply and use a multimeter on its amps setting *in series* with the wiring (observing correct polarity).

I've read somewhere about the Peco unit specification saying at least 2 amps which seems a hell of a lot. Maybe it's to allow the unit to drive a heavy O gauge turntable or something?
Well, I've just learned something. Assuming I've done this correctly, it's drawing 0.16 amps which is much more in the ballpark of what I would expect. Thanks for the multimeter lesson!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal