!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Exhibiting in the "new normal"  (Read 1935 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Exhibiting in the "new normal"
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
I think the premise of this topic is wrong.

There isn't a "new normal" yet. There seems to be no consensus about what precautions are needed and even when there is pretty good evidence that something works, a number of people seem to delight in taking a contrarian viewpoint.

We have the same problem here with politicians at different levels refusing to come to any consensus or even listen to the scientists who they employ to give them advice.

Here's my two pennorth.

There needs to be an accepted and enforced set of criteria to allow mass gatherings to take place.

Until these criteria become the norm and are not continually challenged or ignored by sections of the public, then exhibitions will not be taking place, any more than the Genesis concert that I've got tickets for in December.

Once a "new normal" has actually arrived, then we can discuss whether exhibitions are feasible or not.

BTW we have a new normal at my place of work.
Work from home if possible. If not, come in on a rota basis if you have to share lab space, otherwise come in when you like.
Check your temp every day before work and stay at home if you have a fever.
Fill out a self declaration form everyday before you come to work.
Wear a mask or face covering over your mouth and nose AT ALL TIMES.
Use the one way system.

Violation of the above rules will result in disciplinary action.

This has worked well, and there's no debate, because the company management from the CEO down have delivered clear and unambiguous instructions, NOT guidelines.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »
Hi All,

So firstly @jpendle is completely right we don't know what the "new normal" is and on a personal level I don't think we will fully know for some time!

But what I think this thread do serve as is a sounding board for ALL of us in a scenario where this virus becomes "part of life and all its complications", of course that may not be the case but still it's fair to say its a wake up call regardless of what the future holds, and allows us to air our thoughts and feelings as to how in the worst case of this virus "been part of life", we can get exhibitions going again.

Personally in the world of the virus been "part of life":

1) Masks are a must if we all wear masks then the risks are reduced greatly and this has been agreed by the scientists (those clever folks who do know what they are on about)

2) Gloves well honestly I am still a fan of them - at my work we have to wash sanitize and wear gloves with frequent changes, however even if not a constant if you are going to be handling models on a trade stand then they are a must and well honestly have them on the stand to put on so we all know they are fresh on and "clean gloves not the same pair you have had in your pocket for days!

3) Now this one is more of a question and a possible part of a solution - At my work and across the rail industry we are using a product called "Zoono" this stuff had been tested and proven to kill of bacteria and viruses (Including Covid), it is none toxic and none damaging (we using it on our locos before and after exams including in electrical cabinets) on surfaces it lasts up to 30 days and on the person up to 24 hours. It is applied as a spray in a mist and literally is a 2 minute job on layouts needing only minutes to dry on hard surfaces and instant on the person and clothing (body heat)
So would layout owners be willing to have their layouts and stock when set up treated with this stuff, and would us as visitors / exhibitors / traders be willing to be sprayed with it if it gives us a layer of protection?

Of course all these measures are not completely fool proof but if it aids in mitigating the risk, it may allow us to move forward what ever form it takes!

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2020, 12:13:29 AM »
There was some mention earlier on about the financial side of an exhibition not being held. For our club the revenue from the annual exhibition is normally around the same as the annual subs for being a member. Fortunately our club is reasonably financially sound so missing one year wont make that much difference, however missing 2 or more annual exhibitions would have to mean subs would effectively have to double to cover that loss.

Offline OffshoreAlan

• N Gauge Society Number: 26950
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »
Under the old "normal" I found that many attendees already enforced some social distancing by wearing bloody great rucksacks on their backs. 

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2020, 05:16:15 AM »
How about something like this?

3) Now this one is more of a question and a possible part of a solution - At my work and across the rail industry we are using a product called "Zoono" this stuff had been tested and proven to kill of bacteria and viruses (Including Covid), it is none toxic and none damaging (we using it on our locos before and after exams including in electrical cabinets) on surfaces it lasts up to 30 days and on the person up to 24 hours. It is applied as a spray in a mist and literally is a 2 minute job on layouts needing only minutes to dry on hard surfaces and instant on the person and clothing (body heat)
So would layout owners be willing to have their layouts and stock when set up treated with this stuff, and would us as visitors / exhibitors / traders be willing to be sprayed with it if it gives us a layer of protection?

Sprayed all-over with some sort of chemical solution? Nope, can't see that happening, no matter how "safe" it is. Hand sanitizer on hands fine, but for some reason can't see myself wanting to inhale it or get it in my eyes, etc.

Also, unless applied internally ("Trump-style"), I don't see how it would be of much use when Random Asymptomatic Non-Mask-Wearing Carrier coughs or sneezes and exhales a fine aerosol mist of virus-laden bounty, which seems to be the main source of infection.

I risked an excursion to Tokyo's active cluster of model railway stores the other week, where I felt uncomfortable enough even though not crowded, everyone (as in everyone) was wearing a mask and hand-sanitizer is widely available. Not in a hurry to go again until circumstances have improved for the better.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2020, 07:35:05 AM »
There is one exhibition going ahead - https://www.tinkerspark.com/ 1st & 2nd August.

I was booked to exhibit there but withdrew due to Covid concerns and the fact that I wasn't sure when my Cataract operation was due to take place and when I could drive and lift again.

In fairness to them (and I know a number of exhibitors have dropped out), the exhibition is housed in a couple of barns which, weather allowing, can have all their doors open giving a good air flow.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
Another issue with things like disinfecting sprays, providing gloves on every stand and what not is expense. That's not trivial. If a club/promoter are already concerned that they may be somewhat light on attendees, doubling down by investing in various PPE measures, which some may not even be comfortable using, feels unnecessarily financially risky. Would I trust a random exhibition manager to have done a full risk assessment of a product like Zoono such that I'm happy to be covered with it? No, personally I wouldn't. Not to say it's not safe, but I'd trust an employer to have been more rigorous in that respect.

I find it interesting that we've not yet seen any sort of 'second wave', despite ongoing relaxation of rules, people protesting shoulder to shoulder, the pubs opening (and clearly social distancing being far from the mind of the patrons) etc. Ok you can argue that is because measures are working, but I'm not sure I buy it. I know we've had local spikes, but these have generally been attributed to individual sources. I was in London a couple of weeks ago, and it's far from quiet now. There were a reasonable number of people on trains, as opposed to even 6 weeks ago when they were utterly deserted. There's talk of an increase in winter, but southern hemisphere countries haven't been adversely affected through their winter. Indeed we saw a peak coinciding with the weather being better!

I foresee a continuing low level of cases for a long time, with heightened awareness of hygiene meaning things do go back to normal normal from the new year (moderately arbitrary timeline). Some will want to stay away, I'm sure, but I'm not sure there will necessarily be a new normal.

Offline snitchthebudgie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »
I find it interesting that we've not yet seen any sort of 'second wave'

Not sure I buy that, yet.  From the published figures (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-track-coronavirus-cases), new cases, and sadly deaths, seem to have plateaued and may be slightly increasing.  We may be able to assess what's going on in a week or two - either to feel safer or to panic!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal