!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiring buses. Twist or not  (Read 90 times)

Offline Michael P

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wiring buses. Twist or not
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

Apologies if this is a question answered elsewhere.  I have tried to find on the forum but havenít been successful.

I understand that it is often recommended that the bus wires be run twisted together but is this still the case if railcomm is being used.  I have in the back of my mind that if you use railcomm you need to have each wire of the bus separated from the other to minimise any interference if the signal.

Does anybody have experience of using a railcomm based system with or without a twisted bus wire system.  Basically which way is best?

Thank you in advance for any help

Michael

:thankyousign:

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Wiring buses. Twist or not
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:09:42 PM »
I have in the back of my mind that if you use railcomm you need to have each wire of the bus separated from the other to minimise any interference if the signal.

The DCC signal is effectively a differential signal carried by those two wires, it isn't possible for any interference to occur with a single twisted pair of wire carrying the DCC signal, something else needs to be there to provide the interference source.

I use twisted pair wiring for all my droppers and most of my bus wires, I have also been trying RailCom and it seems to work fine, although I do see a limit of 8 locos in a section before RailCom stops working effectively, but in practical terms this won't be an issue.

It may well be the case that you want the two DCC wires from a RailCom detector to be free from interference from other DCC signals, and then you might want to physically separate each DCC wiring pair from one another.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal