!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Plan Feedback Welcome  (Read 624 times)

Offline TMcG1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29278
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Plan Feedback Welcome
« on: June 29, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »
Here is a sketch of my proposed plan on a baseboard measuring 7'x2'. The plan gives long sidings that don't interfere with mainline running and a goods yard that I want to isolate and have independent control of. I would probably need to increase the area to the rear of my back-scene to allow several lines of a fiddle yard and allow mainline trans to flow.

Whats your views?
Any obvious problems I may encounter?

Tony

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
Re: Plan Feedback Welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »

Just one, make access to the sidings/shed easier from both directions on your main loop.

I suggest moving the point to access the yard left so that it is to the left of the crossover on the right (if you see what I mean).

Cheers
Dave

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
Adding a fiddle yard to both outer and inner loops will increase the width requirement to, say, 3ft and will take up some space inside the inner oval as well. I can't actually see a goods yard. I see two ovals with a bay siding above the inner platform and facilities for locos i.e. loco shed and turntable.
Have you decided on a track system yet?
I really like the lack of straight track.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
If your board is only two feet wide your curves are going to be very tight, especially the inner one. If you want to run mainline trains you may find some locos have trouble negotiating them.

My layout is also 2 ft wide, and I originally intended having double track, but reduced it to single track for this very reason.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »

Just one, make access to the sidings/shed easier from both directions on your main loop.

I suggest moving the point to access the yard left so that it is to the left of the crossover on the right (if you see what I mean).

Or reverse the direction of that crossover so it's a trailing one. Clockwise trains would draw into the platform and set back onto the anticlockwise line before drawing forward again into the yard. I think that would also make for less movements is a train needs to be split to put only some of it in the yard.

What's the building in the middle with a hipped gable roof?
If it's a signal box, I don't think that's the right place for it. It would be usually located to simplify the rodding runs and give the bobby a good view along both running lines, so I reckon it ought to be  to the right of the bottom platform. That'd also allow room for another goods yard siding if desired.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:37:44 PM »
Agree with all these points and having a slightly curved platform makes it more pleasing to the potential viewer

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:42:01 PM »

Cheers
Dave

Thats an easy fix, thanks Dave

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
If your board is only two feet wide your curves are going to be very tight, especially the inner one. If you want to run mainline trains you may find some locos have trouble negotiating them.

My layout is also 2 ft wide, and I originally intended having double track, but reduced it to single track for this very reason.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, nice to know that. I could reduce to single track and keep the passing loop in the station area.

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »

If it's a signal box, I don't think that's the right place for it. It would be usually located to simplify the rodding runs and give the bobby a good view along both running lines, so I reckon it ought to be  to the right of the bottom platform. That'd also allow room for another goods yard siding if desired.

It's actually the station building!

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »

Or reverse the direction of that crossover so it's a trailing one. Clockwise trains would draw into the platform and set back onto the anticlockwise line before drawing forward again into the yard. I think that would also make for less movements is a train needs to be split to put only some of it in the yard.

Can you sketch this, I don't follow your thought? please

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »

It's actually the station building!

What, the little one far side of what looks like a siding behind the inner platform?

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »

Can you sketch this, I don't follow your thought? please

All I mean is make the two points in that crossover the opposite hand sothat they point (oops) the same way as the two at the other end of the platforms..

However, if you might be making it single track with a passing loop in the station that would negate that suggestion anyway.

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
My dear friends, as I don't know anything about the real 'workings' of a railway station, I do apologise for what may appear as stupidy, it is in fact 'lack of knowledge'. Would anybody even consider putting the thoughts onto paper and scribble a sensible solution for me?

Offline TMcG1959

• Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »
Best I put my plans on hold........

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
I'm a bit busy on my own project but will try and knock something up if you can wait a bit

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal