!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Using a Hornby R8250 controller?  (Read 115 times)

Offline probedb

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Using a Hornby R8250 controller?
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »
First post I think...anyway, moving into N gauge and have a spare Hornby controller, is it possible to use this for DC N gauge locos? I currently have a couple of Dapol HST sets to try.

If not, what would people recommend for DC operation?

Many thanks!
Paul.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Using a Hornby R8250 controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:43 AM »
Yes it will work for a short term test rig. OO and N are both nominally 12V DC systems.  It might be a bit coarse for modern N motors, and the overload cutout might be tuned a bit higher than is needed.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
It will work, and its not likely to blow things up.    But, its a bit crude, and will lack any finesse and fine control.

At the cheaper end of things, something from Gaugemaster.  Stick to their "yellow fronted" items, and they're fine on N.  (the black-fronted stuff isn't suitable for N). 
The "combi" is the cheapest option, usually under £50 including the power supply. 

Or, this which works really well with either a 12 to 15v DC power supply, or a 9v PP3 battery:
http://model-railways.org/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=50
( Minimal shop run by someone I know who used to import these controllers for another organisation.  I have one as my bench testing controller.   ). 

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 01:14:43 PM »
You could do what I do - just use the unit as a raw DC supply and feed it into solid state controllers.

I have two units on my layout, one dating from the early eighties, and a Triang P5 from 1963! However, they are simply power supplies for more sophisticated controllers.

They are also used to power points, lighting and other stuff.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline probedb

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:26:45 PM »
Thanks all, I'll give it a try on it's own first and go from there :)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal