!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tight rolling chimneys, etc.  (Read 295 times)

Offline tmark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Tight rolling chimneys, etc.
« on: June 25, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »
Here we go, 2nd attempt. With my large hands and tiny N scale things to be rolled I said there must be an easier way. All other attempts I tried aside here's what I finally did. Take 2 pieces of wire, I use brass, one piece ~ 4 in. long and the other ~ 2.5 in. long. Even the ends. Naturally that doesn't matter but you don't want to do this with the shorter piece in the middle of the longer. Solder the pieces together where the shorter meets the longer at the 2.5 in. point. Now you have what looks like a strange tuning fork except there is no space between the tines. Just the soldered the two at this point. Now you start your roll by placing the end to be rolled between the two tines and twist or roll the piece while keeping the starting end in place until it begins to roll. Once rolled it slips off the open end of the "fork" and you can continue to roll to desired tightness. And there you go, Bobs your Uncle. Any questions I'll be glad to try to clarify. Thanks, Mark

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Tight rolling chimneys, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
Feels like this is begging for pictures, as I'm sure it's interesting...

Online Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »
I use a cocktail stick  :D
Be careful whose toes you step on, they might be attached to the foot that kicks your backside in the future!

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »

To roll the sheet around or as the actual chimney ?

For the latter, I use bits of tube that someone had already rolled for me  ;)

Online Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »

To roll the sheet around or as the actual chimney ?

For the latter, I use bits of tube that someone had already rolled for me  ;)

To roll the sheet around, then a tiny dab of glue on the end. Seems to have worked so far  ;)
Be careful whose toes you step on, they might be attached to the foot that kicks your backside in the future!

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »
I've recently built a number of Metcalfe kits, i.e. terraced housing, station building, corner shop and pub etc. They all require chimneys to be 'rolled' after cutting out the pieces. Took a little bit of practice, but I got it off to a fine art by using a 2mm drill bit. Wrap it tightly round and finish with a tiny smear of copydex to glue it and just hold for a second or two. Done!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 05:41:38 PM »
Seems a lot of hassle to me, just buy a length of plastic tube of suitable size. Paint terracotta colour and slice into chimney sized bits  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
Seems a lot of hassle to me, just buy a length of plastic tube of suitable size. Paint terracotta colour and slice into chimney sized bits  :D

Same here, except when I want something less plain, then I turn to Peedie models or Scalelink for 3D printed or cast pots. For stacks on houses I use square or rectangular plastic tube and wrap brick paper round it, either a blob of filler or a piece of card in the top and stick the pots in.

The original post might work for factory chimneys, although they usually taper.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline tpf1x

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
Also being the proud owner of "Banana fingers"  ::) my solution is to cut just the point off one end of a cocktail stick and slightly blunt the other end- but only enough to make safe whilst handling.  Cut a slot with a razor saw down the centre of the cut off end, approx. the height of the chimney you wish to make,   You then have a tool which - if you put the end of the paper strip into the slot, flush to the end, and holding the strip on the stick, wind the stick between finger and thumb - rolling the strip round the stick. Keeping the strip wrapped, place a dot of wood glue on the end and hold for a few seconds,  the glue will hold enough to slide the chimney off.  Set aside and continue to batch out as many as you need - plus a few spares - When the glue has fully set use the pointed end of the stick to push the tag left inside back to make a tube inside. Once you have made a few and got the feel for it you can easily batch a lot out for your model and spares box!  I also use the brown insulation from 1.5mm household electrical twin and earth cable.  HTH  Tony

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 09:29:04 PM »
cut just the point off one end of a cocktail stick and slightly blunt the other end ......Cut a slot with a razor saw down the centre of the cut off end,

I would struggle to cut a slot in the end of ¼" dowel - somebody must have good eyesight and a very fine toothed razor saw!  :o  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline tpf1x

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:34:47 AM »
 Very strong reading glasses plus a magnifying light with a 5 inch lens, and an old Xacto modellers' razor saw. :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal