!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Luzerne and Lackawanna R.R.  (Read 957 times)

Offline Maurice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Luzerne and Lackawanna R.R.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 07:15:05 PM »
I think puffball trees look better at a distance than close up. Getting some hero trees installed will help.
 I have glued down the main loop track and dropped the wires for track power and turnout control through the table top. Mostly using Kato products for wiring but using some homemade stuff for the DC block control. Three blocks, one for the main loop, one for the East Branch and one for the West Branch, when I build it. Cheers! Maurice

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »
I think they are tremendously effective @Maurice and I think putting some individual quality trees in amongst will only serve to strengthen the overall look of it.
Anyway, nobody will be looking that closely, they'll all be watching the trains going round  :D

Offline Maurice

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
Progress to report. Both yard (Pittston and staging) have the track glued down and tested. I use the Kato turnouts for power routing and all seem to be working well. Some of my benchwork (baseboard to you Brits) was re-used so I had some minor holes to fill. I used Joint Compound for this and then painted it black when dry.

I have been slowly adding ground cover here and there. I finished a scene at the culm loader. It is supposed to be a stand-in structure until I get around to actually modeling it but I keep adding details. The prototype was new in 1983 so I tried not to dirty it up too much. The ground had been cleared to build the structure so I haven't put any grass or weed in yet, but plan to add a little bit. The building was built from foamcore board and covered in printed texture. I used balsa wood for the conveyor belt, again covered in texture. The vent is made from wood scrap from my junk box.

I really like this next view from the Pittston side.

Finally two short Youtube videos of a train actually running on the layout. The locomotive is an atlas GP35, which I recently purchased. Apologies for the music, I forgot and left the radio on. Cheers! Maurice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4aOpF27Hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBFPJplLAI

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »
Hi Maurice, The layout is looking good, good to see some Conrail action :thumbsup:  The Long Valley is currently being operated by the Penn Central.

I believe you are correct on the song (Kid Rock - Cowboy) Here's a video of the song and if you watch closely you'll see none other than Model Railroader / Actor Gary Coleman in the video.

But since we are talking about Kid Rock Music, my favorite Kid Rock song is All Summer Long

OK now back to our regularly scheduled programming  :smiley-laughing: :laugh: :laugh3:
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline BradC

• Chainswords Page Chains Word and Chains World
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
Wow!  that's a layout and in Kato Unitrack too, I'm learning so much from these forums about Kato.

What the blocking for DCC?  I'm running all of mine on several power joiners, no blocking...  Mine is no where near as big or complex but what't the advantage to blocking?

Great layout though!!!

The scenery makes it look so realistic, great work with that!

Take care, be safe!  Wish I had enough room to build one that size but again being an ex-pat I need to keep mine modular and ready to pack up for now. 
www.chainswords.com to follow the progress of my layout construction

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Wow!  that's a layout and in Kato Unitrack too, I'm learning so much from these forums about Kato.

What the blocking for DCC?  I'm running all of mine on several power joiners, no blocking...  Mine is no where near as big or complex but what't the advantage to blocking?

Great layout though!!!

The scenery makes it look so realistic, great work with that!

Take care, be safe!  Wish I had enough room to build one that size but again being an ex-pat I need to keep mine modular and ready to pack up for now.

Hi Brad, My layout is built on a 24" x 80" Hollow Core Door and is only one block.

Dividing the layout into different blocks or power districts for DCC only becomes important on larger layouts than can support multiple train operations. The reason behind creating power districts is, if something shorts out one power district that short does not shut the entire layout down. Only the power district with the short circuit. To setup power districts, you need one command station and a booster for each power district and the track in each power district has to be insulated from the next power district. This is a brief explanation, but hopefully helps to fill in some of the blanks?

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline BradC

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 05:57:46 PM »
Wow! That's just a door layout!  It looks massive!  Well done on making use of space and size amazing!

Offline Maurice

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2020, 07:16:35 PM »

What the blocking for DCC?

Hi Brad, thanks for the compliments. Rich's is much more complete than mine. As for DCC, my layout is set up for DC blocks, not DCC. There are only three blocks. The main loop, yards and the culm loader branch are one, the East branch to Wilkes Barre  is the second and the West Branch to Kingston is the the third. There are two DC cabs, A and B. The A cab is currently a fixed in place, Kato power pack, while the B cab is a handheld walk around throttle from a company called ITTC. I intend the A cab to be the Conrail trains on the loop and to allow me to run a train around on it's own when I want. The B cab is the shortline and I can use that to work either branch as well take to the main loop to work the culm loader branch and interchange at the staging yard. The West branch hasn't been built yet but the wiring is started for the control panel. The East branch is started but only 1/3 done. Hope this clears up any confusion. Cheers! Maurice

Offline BradC

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »

What the blocking for DCC?

Hi Brad, thanks for the compliments. Rich's is much more complete than mine. As for DCC, my layout is set up for DC blocks, not DCC. There are only three blocks. The main loop, yards and the culm loader branch are one, the East branch to Wilkes Barre  is the second and the West Branch to Kingston is the the third. There are two DC cabs, A and B. The A cab is currently a fixed in place, Kato power pack, while the B cab is a handheld walk around throttle from a company called ITTC. I intend the A cab to be the Conrail trains on the loop and to allow me to run a train around on it's own when I want. The B cab is the shortline and I can use that to work either branch as well take to the main loop to work the culm loader branch and interchange at the staging yard. The West branch hasn't been built yet but the wiring is started for the control panel. The East branch is started but only 1/3 done. Hope this clears up any confusion. Cheers! Maurice

Hey Maurice, thanks for the clarification, I think I got the layouts mixed up.  That makes sense with the blocks now.

I'm still running a small layout with mixes nonsense for the time being, actually just started early July so I'm hoping to grow the layout like yours where there is meaning behind the method!

I really need a walk around throttle and throttles so friends can run trains too, I have a lot of friends in the compound that like the layout but want to run locos, right now I only have a single DCS51 so only one person can run at a time.

Blocks would be good for that so I can keep control over the friends and kids that want to play.

Thanks for the advice and clarification!

Offline Maurice

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2020, 04:55:08 AM »
Did I tell you all that I hate ballasting? Going very slow ballasting the yard. I have way too many projects going on at once. My workbench is a disaster area. I still managed to start a structure project. The branch that goes to the culm loader has a spur for another industry. I finally found something to go there.

This plant is called Unimac Graphics, or it was, it is closed but it was going strong in 1980's. It is mostly a metal building with a neat concrete loading dock. There is a door for pushing the cars into the building to unload, probably during inclement weather. There are several doors off the loading dock into different parts of the building. I looked at a couple of Pikestuff kits to kitbash into a representation of the building. It's a small corner of the space so only the part facing the tracks will be modeled. I mocked up two variations.

I decided to go with the first one, keeping the taller addition. I have already cut holes for bay doors for the forklifts to enter the building at different points. I started assembly and am currently letting the glue dry overnight. The entire building will be painted white like the prototype.
I will post more photos when I get further along.
Cheers all!
Maurice
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:56:46 AM by Maurice »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 07:23:07 AM »
Great stuff, from a fellow ballasting hater  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
Did I tell you all that I hate ballasting? Going very slow ballasting the yard.

Cheers all!
Maurice

I guess I'm in the minority, I actually enjoy ballasting. Of course I only use real rock ballast from Smith & Son and Arizona Rock & Minerals. Trying to ballast with Woodland Scenics clay ballast is very frustrating. I quit using their ballast years ago. I still use all the other Woodland Scenics scenery products, just not their ballast. Looks like your making very nice progress on the layout Maurice, thanks for sharing your layout update photos.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline BradC

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Did I tell you all that I hate ballasting? Going very slow ballasting the yard.

Cheers all!
Maurice

I guess I'm in the minority, I actually enjoy ballasting. Of course I only use real rock ballast from Smith & Son and Arizona Rock & Minerals. Trying to ballast with Woodland Scenics clay ballast is very frustrating. I quit using their ballast years ago. I still use all the other Woodland Scenics scenery products, just not their ballast. Looks like your making very nice progress on the layout Maurice, thanks for sharing your layout update photos.

I also love ballasting!  This is why it was so hard of a choice to switch to Kato Unitrack...  That layout is coming along amazing tho!  Great pics!

The plant mockup or kitbash whatever you want to call it looks great.  The transformation from the first pic to the second looks so realistic!

That weathered car makes the scene look really cool too!  Keep it up and the pics!

I need to post more pics, got some new rolling stock and power units, going to make a website post tomorrow hopefully and put a few pics on here too.

I just started my plastering some raised lines, its not going so well at the moment but I'll stick some pics up too.  Wish I could make it look as good as yours!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal