!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rosewood  (Read 407 times)

Offline Ferris

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Rosewood
« on: June 22, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I found some time to make a start on my little layout.  The planning thread is here:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50008.15

I got the baseboard last Thursday and got it painted Thursday/Friday .... I admit the painting isn't very good but by the time I'm finished hopefully there won't be much if any of it still visible.  The first lot of track arrived on Saturday so I've gotten the main loop and outer semi-loop down on the board.  I'm waiting for a few more bits to turn up as I will need to run power separately to the shunt head and then the wires will have to go under the track of the loop.  Once the wires are in the place the whole thing can be pinned and will be ready to run the loops.

The plan for after the track is fixed and tested is to run the wires for both to a toggle switch in the bottom left so I can use on control to run either.  Then comes the hard part next month, do I spend my hobby money on the rest of the track to finish the layout, a second loco or some additional rolling stock (or a combination depending on the prices).

Ferris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Rosewood
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »
Unless you find/are offered bargain stock I'd finish off the trackwork first.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
I too would go with trackwork first
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »
I have finally gotten the rest of the track and made some progress  :smiley-laughing:.

All the track is now down and pinned into place, I followed the advice and the longest of the sidings has a small piece of rubber to insulate it then connecting wires from its end to the fish plate between the next two bits of track along.  It does work well although it isn't finished its been fine in the tests.

Next job is to do the wiring, because the board doesn't have space under it thanks to the storage problems my plan is to run conductive copper tape under the bottom of the board as I way to get the power where I need it without having to try hiding wires under any scenery that gets added.  The only other option I can think of is to modify the control that came with my starter set to run the sidings separately allowing for a loco shunting while another is running and do away with the wiring problems by making them long enough to go around the board since they won't have to run to anything specific.  Its probably an easier option but I'm not sure if its worth having two controls plus the one in the starter set doesn't seem the best quality.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
The copper tape seems a reasonable idea to me.

You've really pushed the limits with the curves at each end, though... they're almost hanging over the edge!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 06:38:16 AM »
The copper tape seems a reasonable idea to me.

You've really pushed the limits with the curves at each end, though... they're almost hanging over the edge!

Indeed. Mick had a little niggle at me for parts of Coniston, but at least I'd left room for scenery to catch any errant stock or "catch fences" on the non-scenic parts.
With this, the overhang on any bogie steam locos will definitely be hanging over nothing and with no space for anything to catch any stock that tries to take a dive  :(

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
If this was free standing with a long drop I'd not push so close to the edge.  That said since its always going to be either on the floor or on a table which is larger there's space to have something off the board the catch anything that escapes, the board size is limited by where its stored I can find space to store things to catch loco's.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:43:26 AM by Ferris »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
That looks good progress with the tracklaying.  I understand that there is no space for wiring below the baseboard, which is completely flush.  The copper tape solution is innovative but there are two aspects that might be worth thinking about:
It might be vulnerable when you move the layout in and out of its location and you will have to find a way to connect the copper tape to the wires that go to the rails.

I have used above-baseboard wiring on my little layout and it works very well.  Like yours, the baseboard bottom is flush and the layout sits on top of what is like a kitchen worktop.  As my layout is intended to look a bit like a train set from the 1930s-1950s (eccentric++, I know!), I have made some of the wires very visible, at least in part.  The rest of the wiring is below the semi-scenery.  I recall that you are using Peco 'Setrack'.  That's what I used and it allows for a wire to pass neatly below the rails as and where required.

If you would like to consider this approach, I should be glad to post a couple of pictures to illustrate what I mean.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:47 AM »
I don't have an issue with locos dropping off that distance onto a solid surface, but I have with the concept. Scenery at that point is going to be difficult to say the least.

Can the baseboard be extended a couple of inches either way?  :hmmm:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »
Sorry if I have missed it, but what is the baseboard made of? As you have no room for under layout wiring, if the baseboard surface is soft enough, could grooves be cut in the surface to accommodate the wiring? The grooves could then be 'filled in'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Ferris

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
I don't have an issue with locos dropping off that distance onto a solid surface, but I have with the concept. Scenery at that point is going to be difficult to say the least.

Can the baseboard be extended a couple of inches either way?  :hmmm:

Not Really, when its stored there is only a couple of mm either side, although there's nothing to stop me in future cutting a couple of strips from another board that can be placed at the sides when in use then stored separately. Since the rails don't cross any join it shouldn't be too hard.

Sorry if I have missed it, but what is the baseboard made of? As you have no room for under layout wiring, if the baseboard surface is soft enough, could grooves be cut in the surface to accommodate the wiring? The grooves could then be 'filled in'.

The board is MDF, grooves are entirely possible but I lack the tools to do the job at the moment.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
Looking at george 's point at #8 , ferris, could you not add a piece of perspex at either end to avoid mishaps?  Example ... https://www.plasticsheets.com/clear-perspex-acrylic-sheet/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:30:42 AM by crewearpley40 »

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 10:33:26 AM »
I get the impression that space restrictions are very tight. I don't think perspex is an option here, and as Ferris has pointed out, it's not an issue with him anyway.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »
Fair enough. Just a thought

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
@Ferris If the board is MDF, all you need to cut grooves is a sharp blade. A Stanley knife or similar is ideal. All you need to do is, (carefully), cut into the MDF at an angle, then cut another angled line so that you are creating a 'v' shape. I have used this method on Averingcliffe when I did not want to take a wire underneath the baseboard.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal