!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Königshafen  (Read 914 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Königshafen
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 12:17:12 AM »
Hi Nick,

Thank you for putting all that together in one lovely big batch. It was good to see Kh Aldstadt at the NGF meet in Surrey last year and you did explain the whole concept but it was hard for my little brain to take in so great to have pics and text to really understand.

Wonderful stuff and hope we meet again when times are better.

In the meantime, looking forward to more and hope you're still enjoying your real ales  :thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »
Thank you for creating this thread!

Always a delight to see pictures of Königshafen , and even better, to know the history and ideas behind a layout. :thumbsup:

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 08:32:17 PM »
Excellent thread to read through and with plenty of pics too! Great looking layout, I have the greatest respect for anyone who can make an exhibition layout - I find it hard enough to do a layout at home let alone the complexities of multiple boards and packing away into vehicles, electrical connections etc!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »
The general arrangement of K6nigshafen station with its central platform and access from a main building at a higher level was inspired by a photo of Darmstadt Süd, and the fact that I already had a vaguely similar looking Pola gantry signal box kit  :) 

By Störfix - Self-photographed, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10129361

The gantry box was merged with a Faller Karlsberg station kit to create my version.  The single central platform takes up less space on the layout than having a platform either side of the double track would have.

As the layout has aged, sometimes it has moved forward with the times - much as the locos and stock has tended to keep pace with new models coming out.  For 2003 Nigel announced that the station platforms needed canopies, which he duly constructed and mounted. They came complete with lights.  I decided that access to the platforms required a modern lift for wheelchairs etc. The glass surround was printed on a laser printer overhead transparency sheet, and I made a fully detailed interior representation of the lift mechanism with runners and counterweight.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:54:05 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
I've just found a collage overall view created a long time ago (probably from photos taken at the same time as the other view I posted way back near the start of the thread).  It's definitely pre-2003 as the platform canopies (as per previous post) don't exist yet! 

Definitely need to click on this photo to get the larger version

A few of the vehicles have migrated to other locations on the roads since then, for example the mobile crane which can just about be made out making its way up the slope from the level crossing is nowadays to be found on the harbour dockside  :D  It's another of Nigel's superb scratchbuilt models and deserved to be nearer the front ( see post #13)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:15:47 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »
Here's a closer view of the "new town" end.  Glimpses of two more of Nigel's scratchbuilds, namely a huge mobile crane rounding the street corner, and a demolisher working on the burnt out town house on the right.

Totally scratchbuiltt...

I love these old Arnold ET420 multiple units, I confess to having rather a lot of them  :D   This one however is unique, it's one I re-liveried myself. All the white decals were printed using an Alps Microdry technology printer.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
Nice view from the operators' side, of a steam special running over the harbour arches. This was at N Gauge Southeast 2019. 

The 6 wheel coach with cupola is an ex-army Wachwagen inspired by photos of one at Dülmen. Converted from a Roco model.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
Thanks for this thread Nick, very nice to see. You have been helping everyone and giving advice for ages on this forum. It is nice to see your work, the modelling is excellent.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline alanbell

• must try harder
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »
unbelievable. pure magic.
many thanks for taking the time to give me the detailed ballasting advice.
time for a re-think on my part.
respect
alan bell

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything