!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Estepera Nord (French/Spanish roundy with small terminus)  (Read 817 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Estepera Nord (French/Spanish roundy with small terminus)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
Hi again,

Just to add as a reminder from an earlier post, the two terminus station lines on the right will be extended not only the 12" or so past the lower tunnel mouth (one with the curve) but by 2 foot more on the extension so that will hopefully be more pleasing to the eye and so the track plan doesn't just look like a stubby fork.

Also, longer trains than the sidings so more operational interest  :thumbsup:. Why make things easy?  :)

Cheers, weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:03:00 AM by weave »

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 11:17:12 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Sounds & looks good Chris, running trains is No 1  :beers:
   stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »
Hi all,

Didn't realise it had been a whole month but after being able to get up the stairs and into the train room (carefully) I spent quite a lot of time slowly tidying up a bit.

I then had a bit of a rethink although the concept is mainly the same. I thought that having a bi directional and dual gauge plan was stretching Rule 1 a bit too much so I reverted back to a previous layout design, which is no more, where the inside track of the roundy is Spanish RENFE and the outside is French SNCF with both tracks coming off to the terminus station Spanish on one side, French on the other.

Have built the terminus board which took ages as am not very agile so here is an overview to show progress so far......

20200720_184903 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

You'll see the original double track has had to removed as it was too narrow to allow for the crossover over the SNCF line from the RENFE line. This has meant that I can keep the tunnel mouth on the right which looked better in real life than I remembered while stuck in bed planning the layout a while back......

20200720_184759 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The wider tracks also meant I had to cut out the tunnel portal at the other end, which wasn't too destructive, and will be replaced with the portal here which I quite like......

20200720_184810 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

I have got most of the track but am waiting for a few bits from Keith at Traintrax so I can properly link it all together to get the alignment right. Hopefully that will be today so I can start to run some trains this week and do some more pics at the Weekend. Also, need to play with the actual station area design to optimise the small platform lengths....

20200720_184845 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Thanks for reading and more to come soon.

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
Good to see you back in action :thumbsup:

I've learned from your predicament and no longer leave my train room.  In the event of injury I shall merely be unable to go down to the less important parts of the house :D

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »
Thank you for these excellent pictures, Chris.

That looks like good progress.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »
Good to see you back in business and thank you for the update.

Future planning just in case, move the railway room to the ground floor  :hmmm:

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 10:41:17 AM »
Excellent progress and very good to see you modelling again Chris.

Take care and stay safe

Martin

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 10:32:34 PM »
  Thanks for the updates Chris, looking forward to more when you are able,
     stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »
Good to hear that you are more mobile Weave. Progress looking good.  :thumbsup:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 10:55:17 PM »
Hi all,

Well I have done some work on the layout although it probably doesn't look like it but I'll admit I have also been playing trains as well as testing some  :claphappy:. Was particularly pleased that my SNCF BB 66000 station pilot (you'll see it in a minute) which had been playing up the last time I ran it seems to have a new lease of life and being very good :thumbsup:.

I changed the Spanish main line into the station approach slightly as the right hand tunnel track looked better (I think), it meant the Kato track symmetry at the back worked better and it gave me a siding, in the middle, to stable a couple of RENFE locos for the station without affecting the main line. Also there is an area at the front of the layout all along now for a beach which will have a sea defence wall between it and the track.....

20200730_203507 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Onto the station area. I had thought about having the building at the end of the tracks but it didn't look right with the house wall and would have lost a coach length of platform space. Smaller Spanish termini often have the station building at the side so thought that would look better. There will be more track laid but at the moment the plan is to just have one platform for the Spanish RENFE and 3 for the French SNCF. There are sidings at the front for the SNCF and wiil be a couple for RENFE behind the station entrance which will have a small goods building. There is method to all of this regarding train services but I'll bore you all with that another time  :).....

20200730_203530 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200730_204426 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

That's not the station building by the way, it's just there for reference. I have a kit I bought a few years ago of a large station building that although is German, it could look a bit Spanishy, maybe  :worried:, especially after a few Riojas  ;). We'll see how that pans out.

I'll finish off with a closer shot of the 'rapide' to Toulouse calling at San Cristofol, Perpignan, Narbonne and Carcassonne and one of the station pilot......

20200730_203608 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200730_204500 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Thanks for reading,

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
Chris

Starting to come together well, donít blame you for playing (testing), you have to make sure your plans work as intended.

Please stop mentioning Rioja, it means a trip to our wine store in the garage every time you mention it and stocks are getting desperate.

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 08:25:46 AM »
Great stuff, Chris.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »
Mate, this is going to be so good.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
Hi all,

Bit more progress on the Spanish side. The track is nearly done everywhere although am sure they'll be a few more little changes.

Here's the station area and thinking about it I might just use the building that's there as the main station building and have other smaller buildings dotted around rather than one large one as mentioned before. Still undecided but we'll see.

As I've been testing trains, I've been getting them into era batches so this overview is a 1960's one showing the RENFE sidings and goods area. Obviously loads of scenics to be done but need a few more Kato track bit and bobs before I start to fix things down properly. No matter as enjoying running trains....

20200803_140819 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Got to go now as we're off shopping earlier than I thought but will show close ups later and an idea for a small scenic add on.

Speak later.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 03:52:49 PM by weave »

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 12:02:04 AM »
   All progressing very nicely Chris, looking forward to more
     :beers:
   stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP